Register now to get rid of these ads!

Little ott I'm lookong for Info on this engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorodz, Aug 19, 2013.

1. lorodz

lorodz

I just picked up a 68 302, it was punched out to a 347 I know this year motor had a front sump oil pan and the dip stick was comomg out of the front of the timing cover. I want to tap and thread the front dip stick hole, closed. Than I would like to find a rear sump oil pan, rear sump oil pump and pick up tube. I also would like to know what flywheel will use a 10 inch factory ford clutch and bolt to a t-5 ..I know the flywheel needs to be a 28oz balanced part bit I can't figure out what year car to ask for it at the auto part store. And the last thing is I'd like to know if their is a underdrive pulley that will bolt on using the 4 bolt pattern, that will except a serpintine belt, Not v belt. Any information and item numbers would be awsome thanks..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. pmangelos

pmangelos
    from Modesto

You should be able to buy a flywheel for a 65 Mustang V-8 and that will get you the 10" clutch pattern and the 28oz balance (it should be a 157 tooth). As far as underdrive pulleys I think anything for a 5.0 fox body mustang should have the 4 bolt pattern and serpentine systems are abundant. Just be certain that you have a 4 bolt balancer as I don't think Ford went to those until 69. Also later blocks had provisions for dipstick tubes for rear sump engines that went through the block right above the oil pan rail, but I imagine you can find a pan that has provisions for an early block with rear sump.

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I have the oil pan and pick up you need. You can have them. Anyone from your neck of the woods coming to Indy Good Guys? I could hand them off.

4. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Now there is a true act of generosity. Good for you for the offer. :)

Hope it works for both parties.

5. lorodz

lorodz

I need a underdrive pulley foe the factory mot that will accept a serpintine belt ...not a 4 bolt like the fox body ...I have that one the fox uses ot won't work ..

As far as the oil pan ..no I don't have anyone out their ..but the pan you have, is it the factory feont sump pan or is it a rear sump pan with a dipstick hole in it

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. To save you a little trouble, you don't need to tap threads in the front cover to plug it. You can get a Welch Plug, or Freeze Plug in that size, a little tap with a hammer and a leak free solution that takes 10 seconds to do. Also does not ruin the cover if at some point someone wants to go back to a front sump.

Also there are 347 strokers in both 28oz and 50oz - are you sure which yours is? the original year of the motor does not matter once they did a stroker.

7. lorodz

lorodz

thanks for the info on the welch plug...as far as the balance im not sure why i need to 28 and not the 50 everyone keeps saying i need the 28 157 tooth due to the balance of the engine with the 28oz harmonic balancer ...i dunno just do what the machinest says to do .