Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Little Dearborn Parts in Minneapolis, MN is Moving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GonzoMN, Sep 12, 2016.

1. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

35 to 40 years ago when I first started in this hobby, LDB parts was the place to get your parts if you lived in the upper Midwest. I visited their store on several occasions over the years and marveled at all the old ford parts they had. Sorry to hear.

3. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear this - but I'm sure it was just a matter of time, with all the development in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Dang ! First Parr and now this. We are Lori,g mainstays fast !

5. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

For the stores that started by reselling NOS and used Ford parts, it has got to be tough to find enough parts to sell that are priced so they can make a profit. When the parts supply gets thin, they have to sell the reproduced stuff.....but competing with the larger internet sellers further complicates things. There just aren't that many Ford dealers left with a pile of prewar parts laying in the back room. There just aren't that many wrecking yards left with a pile of Ford parts out back. Tough biz in 2016. IF my time machine were up and running, I could make a killing traveling back and buying new parts from the dealer and bringing them to today. Heck, I might not even come back.

Texas Webb likes this.
  6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

When did Parr close? I had not heard that story.

7. mickeyc

mickeyc

Went shopping there in 2011 while working in the area.
    bought a set of repop American made chrome bumpers
    and the mounting parts and bolts for my 31 Model A.
    They gave me a tour of the facility and were quite friendly
    to deal with. I am sorry to see them close. The fine old brick
    multi story building will probably be made in to condos or
    some such purpose.

8. atch

atch

I went to BTT50's about 20 years ago in Clarence. As I approached St. Paul/Minneapolis the brakes started getting squishy, but they still stopped. I checked into my hotel and immediately got a phone book to see if I could find a parts house nearby. I stumbled onto these folks at Little Dearborn and called them. Having never been to that city before I had absolutely no idea where I was or where they were. They told me that they had a rebuild kit for the '48 Ford master cylinder and asked where I was staying. I told them the name of the hotel and they asked me if my room was on the front or back of the hotel. Seemed like a pretty obscure question to me but I answered that my room was on the front of the hotel. They said to look out my window and I'd be looking right at their store. I walked across the street and got what I needed. The next day I rebuilt the mc on the fairgrounds and all was well.

I've never been to the area since but am saddened to see them close their doors.

Gotgas likes this.
  9. I knew this day was coming. The times, they are a changin'.:(

10. brjnelson

brjnelson

11. pyrodork

pyrodork

According to folks at the Twin Cities Model A Club meeting the other night, it sounds like they're trying to thin their supply for now. I believe they said there will be 5 auctions total, but Sept 28 is their last official business day. I guess they're looking for a space to reopen in the north metro after awhile, but time will tell.

The future of Little Dearborn still remains uncertain. I imagine that the cost of the building is soaring and it's hard for a specialty shop like that to survive there. But let's build more places to buy $8 coffee...

ClayMart likes this.
  12. cb186

cb186

I believe they are all retiring, at least that's what I read yesterday. Sad, but not particularly suprising.

13. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

Thanks for the update.

14. ...And $8 beer. :(

15. Speed~On

Speed~On

Really sad to see Little Dearborn go.

upload_2016-9-20_14-43-41.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-43-55.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-44-10.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-44-26.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-44-42.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-44-53.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-45-5.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-45-15.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-45-26.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-45-35.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-45-45.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-45-57.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-46-6.png

upload_2016-9-20_14-46-34.png

Attached Files:

16. Speed~On

Speed~On

17. titus

titus

I can tell you for sure that little dearborn is NOT closing!

They are thinning out the massive NOS inventory they have, and downsizing and moving to a new location sometime this summer.

How do i know? ive been down here working for the last month with Roger and Terry setting up for auctions.

jeff

18. 26 FlatRod

26 FlatRod

I can confirm what Titus said, they are not closing, just moving. I was just there yesterday to look over the auction stuff and to get a look at the whole building before they move and Terry told me that they are just getting rid of the stuff they have had forever and is just taking up space. He told me they will be renting some space in Long Lake Mn. He didn't say when they were moving, but I would assume sometime this summer. He also told me there was a lot of rumors floating around about them closing for good that were not true. He told me to pass along the word that they are still open for regular business at this time and will be moving to a new location.

19. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I say good for them, auctioning excess. Might as well enjoy the fruits of all those years collecting while you still can. Reality check, a lot of this is hard work and the longer you're atit the harder it can get. Times are good for selling and I think anyone who's devoted a lifetime to the biz deserves to reap some reward.

21. 5window

5window

Good to know. BTW, if you don't order the fou-fou twenty seven adjective drink that is somehow construed as "coffee", it isn't 8 bucks. Don't be muddling it up with "cream" and "sugar" either. Real hotrodders drink their coffee unmodified (traditional). :)

22. jcmn

jcmn
    from minnesota

Just came across this old thread and didn't see a recent update. So, for what it's worth, I was at Deerborn over lunch today. They are very much open in beautiful Long Lake Minnesota...

Chucky and 5window like this.
  23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Cool . Thanks for the update. They sound like good people.

24. BJR

BJR

They are great people, I work in the same building and see Terry every day. He is open for business and a great knowledgeable guy.

25. rusty valley

rusty valley

good folks. it sure was fun to see the stash they had in the old building down town. still close enough for me when you want something "now"

26. BigRRR

BigRRR

Thank dog ... always loved that place. It's been many a year since being in there, but the look and smell of the place will forever be etched in my memory - took many a trips there with my father as a kid in the 70s and 80s ..: definitely on my todo list to check out their new store ... very happy to know Little Dearborne lives on