Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Little bit OT - transferring old slides/film to your computer (slide/film scanner)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bill s preston esq, Feb 14, 2012.

1. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

My dad's birthday is coming up soon and he has mentioned wanting to get all of his old slides put into digital format so he can have them on his computer. So, since the beginning of February, I did research on a bunch of different slide scanners, digital slide converters, etc.

Ended up picking the Epson Perfection V500 after going to the websites of WM, Office Max, Amazon, Office Depot and a couple of others. On every one of those sites, the rating was at least a 4.4 out of 5, with some of the bad reviews being from people who just didn't understand what they were doing, so they slammed the scanner.

Found it on sale at Office Depot last Friday for $149 and got it. On Saturday, I swiped a few slides from my dad's place, while he was away, and took them home. This scanner is incredible. It will scan 4 slides at a time, isolate them, correct the color balance if needed, remove scratches and specks and then send them to whatever folder on your computer that you want them in.

I'm hoping he has some Bonneville slides from the mid 80's but am not sure about that. He may have switched over to shooting regular film by then.

2. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

Oh, this scanner will also do negatives, although I haven't tried that out. Of course, it also scans photos and does a great job at that, too.