Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical List your favorite goofup by ford and GM. This may cause a war!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Aug 13, 2020.

1. birdman1

birdman1

I will start it out with the GM joke, the Chevy corvair. Chevy tried to copy be bug, but failed in so many ways,! Ok, now a Ford somebody. Let's keep it going.

Driver50x likes this.
  2. bobscogin

bobscogin

Ford's lack of engine parts interchangeability. Too many different bellhousing patterns and motor mount arrangements severely hampered the ability to mix 'n match. Interchangeabilty is one reason the Small Block Chevy became the powerplant of choice for hot rodders.

Bob

3. lilmann

lilmann

That pretty much sums it up!!! I love Ford but dang......

SlamIam, 56don, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  4. .........The Corvair got a bum rap. It wasn't as bad as Ralph Nader made it out to be.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I had a number of corvairs in the past and actually they are wonderful little cars, especially the later ones......

6. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

They both had faults, that`s why Chrysler was ...;)

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The Corvair is a cool car. Alway's has been.
    But, I will own a Ford over any chevy any day.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

if we are talking cars on the Hamb it is 65 and older......

9. The Edsel, not really a bad car per se, but a marketing mistake.

10. elba

elba

The Corvair was actually a good car for GM. They made them for 10 years and made 1,700,000 of them . The Truck on the left is mine and I have a 62 SW and some 66 coupes . The bad handling was total BS. Yenko even sold Yenko Stinger coups that won many races ! My truck rides really good and handles good because the front suspension is the same as a 62 Chevy Impala except it is front steer and the rear is independent also .

11. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Ford's three bolt starters and possibly their worst idea ever... studs on the torque converter.

j-jock, Aaron65, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  12. KenC

KenC

Corvair had a lot of bad press but was a good little car, especially after the '65 suspension upgrade. A lot more fun than a 60 Falcon! I would place the Vega engine in first place of the general's mistakes. The Valiant was better than either though. As others said, Ford never made a bad just too many versions of good ones.

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If you ever heard a Lakewood wagon with Douglass ''trombones'', you never forgot it ...

14. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well lets see... Ford made the Flathead until 1953 and had buggy springs until 1948.

uncleandy 65, jimmy six and Deuces like this.
  16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd say any GM screw ups came after our timeline here. as far as the Corvair, I'd say building 1.7 million over 10 years was a success since everyone seems to know now they were bad in some way but can't really explain it. there are a great many popular opinions where believers have nothing to back them up. people can't think for themselves and parrot what others have said.

17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as engines in hot rods...

Ford front sump pans/crossmember issues.

Chevy rear distributors/firewall issues.

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Chevy - Running the distributor through the intake manifold and the timing cover behind the pan.

Ford - Too many mechanical variations as mentioned.

Mopar - Serving cocktails at styling department meetings.

19. What? Corvair? It's the Corvette for the average guy! Hahaha....

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Deuces

Deuces

I love old Chevies.... From '55-'73... I don't know what happened after that.... Now I drive a Ford...

21. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

How about the Ford ‘61-‘62 f100 unibody trucks body flexing issues and the quick fix ‘63 f100 with the mismatched bed?

22. The lever to adjust the drivers side mirror on my '66 Mustang was located so far down and forward on the door panel that you had to lean forward to reach it. Once you were leaning forward you couldn't see where the mirror was pointed. I assume this was a problem for all of the Mustangs starting in 1964 1/2 when they had the "Pony" interior. I also assume they continued this feature for several years. Since this was the only complaint I had about the car you can tell I thought it was pretty good.

Charlie Stephens

23. Magfiend, 6-bangertim, dan31 and 13 others like this.
  24. Ford and Chevy mechanical brakes. Plymouth was born with hydraulic brakes. Ford’s seizing distributors.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Ford Twin I-Beam front truck suspension...tire eating mofo if everything isn't perfect.

Shock tower front suspension in cars, Ford and Chrysler...Chevy realized that was dumb, space hogging idea after just 5 years of the Chevy II. Same with that front oil sump nonsense.

Ford Y-block and that goofy stacked intake port lay-out.

Chevy 250" Straight 6 "Integral" head and intake manifold.

Vega engine, Pinto gas tank...but those are obvious picks.

26. Deuces

Deuces

I couldn't agree more....

OLSKOOL57 and Montana1 like this.
  27. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I think the Corvair screw up was that they stopped making them.

48fordnut, Jibs, williebill and 6 others like this.
  28. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

FIERO

OLSKOOL57 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Corvair turned out to be a mistake in a sense, as they did not need to make such a complicated car to compete with Falcon, Valiant, Lark and Rambler but when they made the decision to make a rear engine economy car they had good reasons. Only later did it become obvious that they went too far, and tried to give the public too radical a car.

The real mistakes were things like Ford's flathead V8 with the exhaust passages running through the block to exit at the bottom. Nobody else did this, all other flathead V8s had the exhaust exit at the top of the block . The Ford solution accomplished nothing, made the casting more complicated and expensive, restricted the exhaust passages and caused bad overheating problems that were only partly masked by an oversize, and more expensive radiator and double water pumps. I can't imagine what they were thinking and no one has ever told me a good reason for this feature except "quicker warm ups" which means nothing.

30. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Yeah, same year chevy quit with the rod babbit bearings, but love old Chevys and Fords.