Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage List of Rules for the Rose City Round-up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrivenDead, May 31, 2015.

1. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Hello! I'm making a poster for the gate at the RCRU this year and wanted to see if there is anything on here that I am missing. Please let me know.

We will reject:
    • Billet of almost any form
    • Boyd wheels or any like them
    • Most Fiberglass
    • 80's/90's paint style jobs
    • Donks
    • Trailer Queens

Attached Files:

2. aaggie

aaggie

It is your privilege to put on an event but when you set the limit restrictions don't complain about a small turnout. Sometimes you have to hold your nose and let them in so you can pay the bills.

Special Ed and metlmunchr like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aagie that won't limit participation in the Portland Oregon area in the least. It will probably bring out cars belonging to owners who have had them forever who don't go to shows because they are tied of the chainers with their gotta have the latest trinkets on the market cars no matter if they destroy the looks of the car or not.

TudorJeff likes this.
  4. Special Ed

Special Ed

I think you might attract a few more folks to it with an "accepted" list as opposed to a "rejected" list. Personally, if I see the word "rejected" in conjunction with any type of event, I simply ain't goin'.
    If you want to cap it at a set year (1958 for instance), that's cool, but why not let the cars in that you don't want to be there, and force 'em to park off in a hidden damp dark forbidden corner somewhere. Then you won't have to worry about them showing up for the next year!
    No, I've never been turned away from any carshows ...

5. I won't go to a show that restricts entry too a certain style! I am an automotive enthusiast, let them all in, I'll make the decision as to which ones I will/will not look at. This restrictive entry show crap is for some type of sick wanta-be stuck or lost in the 40s, 50s or where ever. (posers)

bct, pitman, metlmunchr and 1 other person like this.
  6. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Make a year cut off and provide a VIP parking lot for the cars that don't qualify. Gary;)

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sounds like an OXYMORON

8. F&J

F&J

I've never been to shows except here in the East...but I really agree about getting to see cars from the olden days, driven by very old guys who might be gone by next week. Out here, these guys seem to feel like their cars are too crude, too sketchy, or too outdated for other shows.

I'm glad I was able to see some these old builds.

The "exclusive" shows out here were put on for the hobby gathering, not by groups looking for profits. Most are gone now

9. oldolds

oldolds

Make your rules that you want for the show and stick with them. Not like that national club the used to be pre 48 and now lets in anybody with money ( and a lot of smaller shows). If you handle it right you may have a lean year or two. But you just might make a fun show because of it.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't see a lot wrong with what you guys don't like, but I think you would have had a lot less negative comments if you had posted both columns as you show on your flyer.
    I read your flyer, honestly it's not far removed from the feelings of (most) HAMBERS.
    Having been involved in some club events, I'll say this; whatever you state on your preregistration form better match "to the letter" what your fliers and gate rules state or there will be some "shit hitt'n the fan" at the gate and said material won't be evenly distributed.

11. fordor41

fordor41

Thanks for reminding me not to go to Rose City!

prewarcars4me likes this.
  12. I'd go but I'm 1500 miles away.

13. k9racer

k9racer

Its hard to define a 80 to 90 paint job. Some old guy like me might read it and have a car painted in the said years but a traditional look. It is a little confusing.

TudorJeff likes this.
  14. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Would be far better to split the show into traditional and all others. There are clubs out there that are struggling because the restrictions. I don't see the The "Donks" and the Tuners showing up to a pre-58 show.

15. clem

clem

Your show,- your rules.
    What I think you missed is to advertise all your 'rejects' before the show. You say you are making a sign for the gate. It may be quite annoying to travel miles in your dream car to attend an event, only to be turned away or excluded at the 'gate'

16. clem

clem

Oh,
    You forgot, ' digital dashes'.

DrivenDead likes this.
  17. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Gonna have some folks pissed at the gate,Are you going to be the guy that tells people to take a hike? If so good luck with that.

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

I understand where you're coming from, but it sounds like you're setting yourself up for a real headache. Good luck.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, that's the exact point I was making in post #10.
    If annoyed is the only response you guys get, consider yourselves lucky!!!

clem likes this.
  20. southerncad

southerncad

There are some very good responses here about the problems you will have at the gate, and keeping folks out. Why not get smart, and have a section for parking "non-traditional" cars? And my '49 was painted in the 90's, can I still get in? :)

21. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

The idea of having parking for the cars that don't meet the specs, is separate them but take their entry money and not PISS them off! Gary ( the OXYMORON ):confused:

22. What about the rats? you keeping those out too?

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You read their website on the show and it all comes into focus. http://www.rosecityround-up.com/
    It's rather comical that not one whiner about the rules he posted is within what would be considered a reasonable driving distance of Portland unless you consider a 700 or something mile banzi run up I-5 a reasonable distance. There are also five other events in the general area on one or both of those days for other cars to go to that don't fit in with the criteria for this show and over 20 total within 200 miles of that show. Some of them are pretty popular events too. Click on the link and scroll down to the 19th through 21st of June and you can see that non compliant cars aren't exactly deprived for an event to go to. http://www.cruzinmag.com/calendar.html

DrivenDead likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roadster1927---
    Sorry Gary, I hope you didn't think I was calling you that, I was using the term to say that VIP and "cars that don't qualify" don't go together, meaning more like they are not very important people (to the event organizers).
    Again not putting any labels on anyone.
    Doug

25. rockfish

rockfish

I guess I missed the part in the original post where DrivenDead asked that only people local to the event offer their feedback. And also only reply if you agree with the show guidelines. Thanks for helping us understand that.
    Gee, pose a question on an Internet forum and people from around the country (or even world) respond. Who would have guessed?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    prewarcars4me and Special Ed like this.
  26. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The Billetproof shows have similar rules and have gone on for a number of years.

DrivenDead likes this.
  27. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

We have turned cars away every year for the past 8yrs and filled the lot each year. We are just making a sign for the gate so that it makes it easier for those who don't understand the show.

28. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Ours is pre-64. Last year there was a donk that was let in so we added that for our volunteers running the gate

29. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

We are more concerned about having enough space for the folks that fit the criteria of the show. There are plenty of shows that don't have the same rules we do, and if that is what you want they happen every week. We are something different, and I see nothing wrong with it.

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  30. 117harv

117harv

restrictive entry crap, sick wanta-be, posers? Sounds like a tradional show to me. I live in southern OR which is much less populated than the Portland area and there are many shows during this time of year to choose from. There in nothing wrong with setting criteria for what is and isn't allowed, it helps participants as well as spectators know what to expect.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    55 Ford Gasser and DrivenDead like this.