Register now to get rid of these ads!

Linseed oil over patina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rivrat, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buy a gallon of acetone it will tone down the shine all the way down to the rust then you can scuff it up and primer the damn thing

2. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Thanks guys. Linseed oil does help it from rusting more. I just thought it would be like oiling wood and just wipe off the excess oils once it and soaked up as much as it could but it actually dried kind of rubbery.

3. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

I've heard of guys only applying it once a year. I'm guessing it is in the garage most of the time. Not bad for $7.98 for a small can that did the whole truck

4. Man o man... If the guy wanted paint I'm sure he can figure a way out to get it done.

Leave it in the Texas heat and keep wiping on it. The sheen will tone down but I like it the way it is.

Neat truck...

5. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

linseed oil has been used for decades to prevent rust but it needs to be applied and wiped off promptly or it will become a gummy film. Some of the old timers at work still use it to protect metals but I prefer Gibbs. Without a converter, rust will continue to eat at the metal even when coated with an inhibitor or penetrant. I, as others, prefer paint as the ultimate metal protectant but it's your vehicle and your choice. good luck.

6. gas pumper

gas pumper

We use linseed oil on our bare chassis as we are working on them. It prevents rust here in humidity land. And it wipes off with laq thinner or gas where you need to weld some more. and then wipe more oil on. It will dry eventually and not be rubbery, unless you got it on thick. The high gloss will weather away.

Tung oil works, too.

7. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Yeah it's gummy. I looked all day for a topic on how to apply. I was just going to let it sit over night and wipe it off on the morning. But too late now. Do you think a lightly damp rag of acetone would help or make it more Gummy.

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

Im a custom paint guy, so naturally I would say paint it.... But it really doesnt matter.

Have fun with it, bang a chick in the bed on a hot summer night, roll that truck like you rule the world.

Thats what the bed is for.....

9. johnod

johnod

You used linseed, or boiled linseed?

10. BISHOP

BISHOP

Dont matter.... bang a chick in the bed.

11. JD Miller

JD Miller

Read the can. Boiled linseed oil has a dryer in it. It will dry and not be gummy eventually(might take a week) and the shine will go away after you rub it with a wash rag a couple times. Drive around real fast to air dry it
    Looks good to me.
    I tested some linseed on a rusted barbque. worked good

12. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Boiled. That's what I read to use.

13. trollst

trollst

Watch out for acetone...its wicked stuff, it'll cause cancer. Extremely flammable, dangerous shit, I'd wash it a few times with regular car wash or dish soap, should give the results you want.

14. johnod

johnod

Thats right, when you said it was gummy I thought you might have used the straight stuff.That would be gummy.

15. johnod

johnod

I disagree.

16. No shit, when will it end?!!?!?

17. hippy killer

hippy killer

Why not think survivor ??

18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I like that look a lot.....not everybody wants a squeaky clean look, and that is FAR from a Rat Rod...
    I have seen posts here in the past where several good vinegar washes were followed up with clear coat...
    Sounds like something you may want to consider....
    Ignore the dip shits and their "stupid" comments. It is your car, so enjoy.
    Cheers...

19. davidh73750

davidh73750

I saw a 52 chevy car with it done a few years back wasn't quite as shiny but I imagine age'd a little and it won't. I bought some for a 68 biscayne but then sold the car. keep us posted how it ages. I'd wonder how much work it would be to take it off if you were going to paint it

Attached Files:

20. flynstone

flynstone

anyone can have a painted car, the rust haters just wanna be like everyone else..............oh boy if my truck could talk

Attached Files:

21. Patina rhymes with vagina............

22. The shit we learn on Sesame Street.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  23. RayMiller

RayMiller

Dude you said the "R" word the people get crazy about that on here lol. I think the same but it's your truck brother and your the one that's building it so keep it your way.

24. But listen to Bishop. Bang a chick in the bed, thats what they are for.

25. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Personally I like paint...but it is yours and you saved $7992.02 by going with the linseed oil. :D

26. You could try wiping it down with mineral spirits/paint thinner....it might tone the oil down a bit & not remove it all like acetone probably would.
    Depends on how you rub it I guess

27. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Maybe more!

28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Well, paint was based on linseed oil for centuries. Do you know the words linseed and linen are related? Both are made from flax. Wonderful plant, that.

Probably 90% of technological development in paint over the past century has been about getting it to dry faster. Linseed-oil-based paint is a wonderfully durable finish, but it used to involve sitting in a room dust-proofed with wet drapes for a month. Best of all, you can make your own paint from scratch - really from scratch if you happen to have a field of flax out back :D

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You're name isn't helping either. :rolleyes:

30. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I wouldn't be so sure. Ask a lot of people on here what they think of flat black paint jobs (especially with the red wheels) and things might get ugly.
    And as for "anyone can paint a car", it's just as easy to say "anyone can let a car get rusty".
    I guess at the end of the day the choice is yours.
    Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.