Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lincoln Zephyr to Ford Flathead gearbox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratty_aussie, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Hello again. Do anyone know will a 1948 V12 with overdrive zephyr gearbox bolt straight up to a ford flathead V8?

If so what are the pros and cons over the stock ford gearbox?

Cheers

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. I don't know if it will bolt up or not but the gears out of it will fit in the stock v-8 box. I put some in my 49 ford F-1 with a topshift transmission. The Lincoln gears are taller in 1st and 2nd gear.

3. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

The trans has the same front bell, input shaft, clutch release shaft, TO bearing, etc. So, yes it will bolt up to the Ford/Merc flathead V8. The big problem is the rest of what's behind it. The complete trans (OD included) is longer than the orig Ford trans. Then, there is the matter of the side clearance problems created by the solenoid and the governor on the OD housing. Having to cut out parts of the frame center section, plus having to shorten the torque tube/driveshaft would make a skilled fabricator and machinist think twice about the project.

Remember this about L-Z gears....not any stronger than the Ford gears. Just a different ratio.

Another tidbit: the LZ overdrive solenoid is unique to the 40-48 LZ trans....longer plunger. Since it only ever came as a 6V solenoid, you'd have to stay 6V to operate the OD system electrically.

4. Perfect, thank you. The length and floor clearance isn't (shouldn't) be an issue and in building everything from scratch.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad