Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lincoln Y-Block V8 Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by conormulroney, Jan 19, 2008.

1. conormulroney

conormulroney

Does anyone know what tranny is available or adaptable to a 1957 368 Lincoln V8. I'm looking at maybe putting one in my '54

2. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

I have a 54 Lincoln with a 317 Y and I have a trans adaptor from Wilcap to a 700 R4. Good setup. Check it out as an option.

3. TERPU

TERPU

VrooooomBAAAAAAAAAAA! VrooooooooomBAAAAAAAAA! PHOOOOOOOOOOO, PHOOOOOOOO.

Just kidding, find a five speed adapter and we'll put it through the floor. I'll even make a Tim special that's real short so when three grown men ride in your truck the middle man won't have to touch the hard rod. Also if anybody knows what bell housing will fir of any for a manual set-up. Maybe your stock three speed wil bolt up and we'll just have to barbeque it like mine.

Happy searching,
    Uncle Tim

4. conormulroney

conormulroney

Joe - Was the Wilcap adapter pricey?

Tim - Are you trying to sound like my truck?

Thanks for the responses

Conor

5. TERPU

TERPU

Yep, and yep!

Tim

6. mercjoe

mercjoe

Any adaptors for 4 speed toploaders ? I'll have to put some tranny on my 368 and want to use my spare toploader.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Curious if you wouldn't want to keep the old (but a good one) hydramatic from the 54? If so, I believe that the 368 would adapt to the hydramatic using the same bellhousing, flywheel, and starter. The only obstacles I see are the pilot bearing/bushing hole in the end of the 368 crankshaft and if the flywheel may need counterbalancing to the 368 crank.:D

I myself am contemplating doing that for my 57 F-100 truck. Possibly for my 53 Merc, but it has a really nice flathead that runs great.:eek:

Good luck:cool:

8. Are you still wanting to put a 4-spd behind a 368 ?

Tom

9. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

10. That's a great link, I'm going to be spending some money there next week, but a 292/312 is not the same bellhousing bolt pattern as a 317/341/368

So they sell nothing there that will work on one.

Tom

11. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I used to have one with a B&M Hydro-Matic behind it. They are out there. That would be the way to go. ProstockTom, I'm sorry I haven't replied to your PM, I've been out of town till last night. I do have a 56 lincoln two door with a 368 but there isn't much in the way of speed parts out there for these things. I had a 57 with dual quads and headers on it last year but other than that and a 6x2, and an old boat engine I had with 6x2's and two McCulloch superchargers, I haven't seen much else for sale.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have been told that a Lakewood FE blowshield can be easily made to fit a 368 type Lincoln. Only dowel pin holes need to be drilled. Don't know for sure. You might look into it.

13. cornernfool

cornernfool

I have a 4-speed toploader behind my 368. Modified an FE bellhousing. Both dowells need to be relocated and the bolt holes need to elongated and spotfaced. Factory 390 flywheel fits the crank pilot, but the bolt pattern needs to be redrilled. Special pilot bushing needs to be machined. I used everything from a 67 mustang. If anyone has questions, PM me.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I notice that 429-460 flywheels are also listed as fitting 317-368 Lincolns? Or at least fitting FE engins and so by default 368s. Or am I missreading something?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  15. I have a NOS B&M adapter for an FE(332-428) or early MEL(383-462) and the B&M Stick Hydro if you are interetsed. Contact me at [email protected]

16. rustymetal

rustymetal

working on a 368 y block , just got a 332 y block. Wondering if you can use the flywheel off the 332 y on 368 y with out getting into balancing the crank.
    the ram horns fit , the trans has a crazy bolt pattern but will fit block didn,t get the truck trans.

17. cornernfool

cornernfool

That 332 should have a forged steel crank that is the same stroke as the 368. Thats a good piece. It seems to me that all the Lincoln style y-blocks were internally balanced so you should be good. Build an adapter off that truck bellhousing and run a t-5. Whats the chances of getting us a picture of the trans side of that bellhousing? Good luck, Mike

18. rustymetal

rustymetal

hi mike get you some pics tomorrow, also got a oldsmoble intake over at a machinist house to see if he can cut the right bevel on it and make it work.
    the olds intake is 3x2 ,comparing the gaskets they are very very close just the wrong bevel.

19. I have also put a olds 3x2 upto a 341 Lincoln, your right the bevel is a few degree's off, but be carefull if you get it machined, it may drop the manifold down too far in the valley. You could make some spacers if that did happen. I have an olds log manifold being shipped now, I will put it on the Lincoln and see how many degrees it is off, maybe a log manifold is the way to go.
    Cornernfool, i'll send you a p.m, I am very interested in the stick conversion you have done with the FE bellhousing.
    There needs to be a Lincoln Y block group or something, this stuff is coming up more and more.

20. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

I did a truck bell to a t-4 , a couple adaptors and drill a couple holes[​IMG]] extra hole and adaptor ring[​IMG]

21. Anymore details on that, flash?

22. cornernfool

cornernfool

Ya I picked up a dual quad early olds manifold to do the same. I have a friend who welds the mistakes for Edelbrock, Fontana, etc. He built up the flange surface with weld and now its at the machinist to get cut. There is quite a bit of differance. I think the trick is to machine up some wedge plates to do it, or use a log manifold. Thank god they use a valley pan or it would be a real nightmare. There's an Olds log on here for sale right now that has the wedge plates for a Lincoln. Search Rocketeers or something close. Would anyone be interested in finned aluminum valley pans for the Lincoln, I was thinking of making some up. Take care, Mike.