Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lincoln V12 anyone running one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by texag09, Jul 25, 2009.

1. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I think part of the problem lies in the fact there is no support for aftermarket of speed realted parts. You can build a flathead without ever having to leave your living room if you chose. Lincoln speed parts are few and far in between and usually go for a hefty price. The price it would take you to build a really screaming V12 you could have two 392 Hemis. Not to say they are bad motors. I've owned and riden in several of them. There is just not enough bang for the buck.

2. mj40's

mj40's

Any one know how to check the oil level on one of these? :D

3. ezdusit

ezdusit

I maintain the Web site for the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club. Several years ago, Mike Shiflet sent me some pictures of the engine he was building to put in a '38 or '39 coupe he was building. That car ended up at the Barrett Jackson auction and sold for some astronomical price.

[​IMG]

4. ezdusit

ezdusit

Here's another picture that I received several years ago and put on the LZOC Web site. It's a V-12 going into a 1932 Ford. This gent used a Jaguar distributor in place of the original.

[​IMG]

5. David Walter

David Walter
    from Troy,Al

I saw this one at the NSRA Louisville NATS last year.

Attached Files:

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I've driven several. Doing a concours resto on a 41 Continental right now. Low power? Yes, very low. A Packard straight 8 from the same year will run circles around it. What to expect from an antique engine? An owners manual that doesn't have a passage in it that recommends avoiding heavy traffic due to excessive heat would be nice! Yes, it's in there. They're exotic looking, expensive to rebuild, require special gaskets for the aluminum heads because the block is so big and old school iron it moves more than the head. While care and feeding will make it last I'd pick from a multitude of others unless it's just one of those I want one things. But as far as power, I can say from many years experience they're basicly a slug.

7. ezdusit

ezdusit

The Kermath Engine Corporation of Detroit marketed a marine version of the HV-12 Lincoln engine. It was sold as the "Kermath Sea-Zephyr." I acquired one back in the '70's out of an old schooner in Pascagoula, MS. It was attached to an Upton reversible hydraulic marine transmission that probably weighed as much as the engine. I was going to try to reuse the engine in a car but decided it was too cool to destroy. I sold it to a marine engine collector in Canada.
    In the 2007 Lake Tahoe Concours d'Elegance for classic boats, one of the award winners and "People's Choice" winner was a 1936 23'6" Earl Barnes Custom Triple Cockpit boat powered by a 110HP 12-Cylinder Lincoln Sea-Zephyr.

8. ezdusit

ezdusit

There's an oil level float gauge that you read from the driver's side of the engine. No dipstick...
    [​IMG]

9. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Here are a few pictures of the engine installed on the frame. I did not build the car to set a land speed record but more for the nostalgic look and to be diffrent.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

10. ezdusit

ezdusit

Frenchy,
    Thanks for sharing... That's a work of art whether it goes fast or not!

11. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Thanks for the nice feedback I have build a dozen or more V12 over the years. I have contact for all parts needed. Main bearings,cam bearings.late model intake and exhaust valves,gasket kits,water pump rebuilt,etc ....

Thanks
    Frenchy

12. Martein

Martein

I've got a V12 lined up to go in my model A (1928 pick-up)

The engine is seized, due to rust :( I'm currently pulling it apart, and as it needs some machining anyway, I was thinking, due to the small bore size, to hunt for some lightweight pistons, most likely from a motorcross bike or somethink like that.

Anyone got some uprated conrods made up? As the std ones look quite fragile...

I'd like to put a blower on this engine, but I doubt the conrods will hold, even on very low boost.

I know it's a slim market for these parts, but is / were there uprated internals ? for these motors?

Thanks a bunch!

Martein
    The Netherlands

13. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

I saw the rolling chases with engine and tranny when I was at P & J's last month. Reminded me of my favorite car song.

14. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

I see some finned aluminum heads on these,
    are those made by the owners, or is there a company doing them?

15. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

[​IMG] This was at GNRS 2011.

16. Smokey2

Smokey2

I've HAD (past tense!) several Lincol's W/ The V-12.........Problem is, WAS!
    People with Lincolns, Wanted them Quite!, and SMOOOOTH. The engine IS A Great Engine! but was in tha' WRONG VEHICLE!!!
    YOU Had to "wind'em UP!, Kinda' like driving old 36 h.p. VW, Wind'em out, and they'd GO. Other Prob was oiling system, Hyd Lifters took all the oil and starved frt bearings........Bob Olmstead in Indiana (I think), worked for FORD, and figgered out modifications to make V-12 Reliable and "Hot".....He's probably listed in THE ZEPHYER OWNERS CLUB roster.......He drove 41 Lincoln
    Limo, with striaght exhaust!, and Pulled Camper Trailer to Bonneville each year! bEN TOLD, THAT HE PASSED CARS ENROUTE TO pROVO AT 100 MPH, PULLIN' THAT TRAILER! cAN'T SWEAR TO tHAT.

Happpy Motorin' :cool::cool:

17. chad-64

chad-64

I have a 292 with all the machine work complete, hardened valve seats installed, ect. Was planning to use it in a 29 Tudor, but just acquired an industrial 331? Still undecided, but that V12 rebuild kit cost is a little scary.

18. fastbrad

fastbrad

Saw this a while ago, but just noticed the distributors on it. Does anyone know anything about this dual distributor set-up? Is this a modern, elegant replacement for the stock unit? Or was this a period mod?

-Thanks, Brad

19. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I just saw the same set up on a Ford tub in Illinois over the wk.end, belt driven dual ignition,looked great but I have no info. I'm curious too,that's how I got here

The truth will set you free

20. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I don't think that a toothed timing belt would be period.

21. I'm in the process of building a supercharged V-12 LZ, Ultimate application is a 34 Ford. Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

22. benflathead

benflathead

Now that thing is way cool oggie. Shame its owwned by a yetti.....

Mine on the other hand..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]