Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lincoln takes the win!!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hudsonjoe49, Sep 5, 2013.

1. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

Well it's been a long time since I have posted anything that has to do with my builds. I guess I need to post more. Now that there is a specific page for this, here you go. I built my 29 Roadster years ago with the intentions of driving it on the street. As soon as I was able to open her up all the way on the drag strip my mind had changed. Here is my new flathead powered competition roadster. This thing is a power house. This pic was taken at the King of Clubs at Barona drag strip. I took the trophy that day from the Bean Bandits 5 year winning streak. They were shocked but very cool and in return shook my hand and had a good time over at our camp that night. I used a couple of speed secrets from a good friend and Lincoln guru Merv Atkins. All the work that I did to this machine is top secret, sorry. Well here are a couple of pics at the King of Clubs 2012. Hope you all dig it!

The last pic is of me and Dennis Young 2013, he thought he had it in the bag but passed like he was standing still, there I said it, Thanks Dennis!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    Stogy likes this.
  2. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Super cool!

Stogy likes this.
  3. What was the E.T.?

Stogy likes this.
  4. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

beautiful car, some subtle trash talking, and gorgeous scenery around the drag strip. love it.

Stogy likes this.

5. Blackie

Blackie

Holy moly that's cool...

Stogy likes this.
  6. 117harv

117harv

Great job, I dig it...more pics?

Stogy likes this.
  7. Magnifico!

Stogy likes this.
  8. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

Best E.T. of the day in the 1/8 mile was 9.5 sec. 72 mph, I will have to tke a pic of the time slip.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    Stogy likes this.
  9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Straight outta the little books. Love it!!!!

Stogy likes this.
  10. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Cool photo!

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Photshop the 60's cars and a few people out of that pic and it's 1951 all over again.

Stogy likes this.
  12. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn what a awesome looking ride.

Stogy likes this.
  13. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

That is just bad ass!!!

Stogy likes this.
  14. I love that car man. I've got a 337 I picked up a couple of years ago that I need to do something with. Every time I search for info I come back to your awesome roadster! What trans are you running?

Stogy likes this.
  15. Wow & double wow - looks like a lot of effort & hard work has paid off. All you need now is to have a match race with the "kneecramp" roadster

So, when are you going to change your name to LincolnJoe....

Stogy likes this.
  16. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Very cool. Glad to hear about another flathead go'n fast.

Stogy likes this.
  17. That is just plain awesome

Stogy likes this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

God... I love that car.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Bruuuce

Bruuuce

Perfect..

Stogy likes this.
  20. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Happy to see someone actually running a coupla 'T-Pots' on a rod. Not many left who understand 'em well enough to actually use 'em for real instead of on some wanna-be poser 'trailer-queen' 312 T-Bird at a high-dollar concourse. Ara ya running a Hydro or a T-85B(or C) behind that 337"? or, possibly, a 'more-gear'? What rear? I know, I know: so many questions...

Stogy likes this.
  21. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

Wow!!! Thank you everybody!!! I'm lost for words....

Stogy likes this.
  22. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

I'm running a 337 Lincoln car_____ with truck______ bored to ____ with Jahn's____ camshaft is a______ but the gears are 1941 ford truck trans, 3 spd. open drive coupled to a 1941 truck banjo. I can tell you this, it has a 12 inch press. plate and clutch, Mcbar adapter out of a Munts Jet so I can run the Toploader. Edmunds intake, P-38 thermocouples at each head and then a P-38 dual temp supercharger manifold gauge converted to Farenheit so I can see how hot she gets at the balls to the wall setting on the throttle. Ahhh and don't let the teapots fool you, they have a special little something inside them that yells at the pistons to move faster.

I know I am supposed to tell you what I built and what's inside the cherry but not this time. This car is special to me and there are some tricks that Jack Clifford R.I.P., had taught me back in the day. He had our Hudson gasser screaming when we used to run it at Palmdale Antique nationals. I will miss Jack. I will dig up some pics of our old gasser and share them with you. It was a 1941 Hudson traveler coupe. It raced back in the 50's and sat and then raced some more in the 70's and sat and then I took hold of it and raced it in the 90's at Palmdale when the Choppers were the Chislers and WCSM was around, and chopper dave was racing his harleys, the good old days, and I was about 16 and just got my license to drive. We stuffed a 777 torque flight behind that 308 stroked and poked Hornet motor and I put her in the low 14's in the 1/4, not bad for a 2 ton car with a inline 6. I had no clue what I was doing but I guess I did it good. My boss told me to hit that B&M shifter as hard as you can, it was an old ratchet shifter. I went balls to the wall and won 3 years in a row with that car. Through the years of racing that car I found out that the engine was built by Joe Polkus. Joe used to stock car race in Daytona and his car of choice was a Hudson, he built the motors and made them scream. Joe is also one of my go to guys for speed secrets.

I can ramble on and tell you more about me but that would take a lifetime. Thank you again for the kind words it means a lot.

Stogy likes this.
  23. That's a heck of a fine roadster. Any more pics? I mean this is just a teaser, right?

Stogy likes this.
  24. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

If you look at my old build posts years ago. There are some pics of the car in pieces and some more detailed pics of the engine.

Stogy likes this.
  25. I never could find any old build posts? I looked when I discovered your car after I picked up a 337 a couple of years ago. Are they gone or am I just not seeing them?

Stogy likes this.
  26. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

This might be one of the ones you're looking for. I just clicked on hudsonjoe's screen name and chose "find more posts by hudsonjoe49" and it's one of those: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305870

Stogy likes this.
  27. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Beautiful

Stogy likes this.
  28. 117harv

117harv

Some more pics...good stuff!

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  29. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

Thanks 117 harv, that was the rough draft about 6 years ago. I will take more pics of the engine and interior the way it is now. It's more refined. I was in the midst of buying a house and then getting a really nice divorce. It was difficult to work on my roadster during those days. I then took it all apart and stored it in a shed. Then 2 years after that I put back together. I had the crank at my old house inside the laundry room and it almost got tossed by my old landlord. If it was a day later I would have been crankless. It was definitely a challenge trying to get parts and I had to do a lot of driving. My parts truck at the time was my 49 Hudson Kustom. I drove that car to the moon and back gathering parts for the roadster.

Stogy likes this.
  30. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Neat stuff Joe!