Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lincoln or Ford brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 3w Hank, Feb 7, 2023.

1. 3w Hank

3w Hank

As I build a late 40's style 32 5W Henry 3.5" chop and no hood and no fenders and std fuel tank.
    It will be real traditional late 40's style build-up as unsplitted bones, 34 dopped axle, 37 struts, 36 bones and A-Ford brake bar as a spreader bar and Ford 40 wheels and Firestone 7.5 and 4.5 and a FH - but as bonus on a maybe more exlusive hot-rod for the days I will use a Halibrand QC and Arudun heads and a 39 Zephyr transmission.
    I has Ford 40 brakes and that feel 'traditional' and for this style fine of course.
    I know the Bendix style on the Lincolns is better but I'm not thinking on Lincoln brakes under that idea, it's more the 'factor' or a cool thing for this car's combo.

-So what 'factor' will be best do you guys think on brakes ?

Question ; Can 32/34 spindel be used on the Lincolns brake plates ?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  2. Andy

Andy

Changing to Lincoln’s is the same as changing to 39-48 plates. You have to oblong the holes and add spacers and centering rings.
    Brian Bass in Dallas may still sell Bob Wilson’s finned aluminum plates. They are the fanciest.

Outback and 3w Hank like this.
  3. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I’m not into finned style, plus I like to work with just old parts ( if possible )
    I found this here on the forum and it was the Lincoln plates with own made screens and the juce inlet in the lower part, so that was a cool idea.
    The Lincolns backing plates are not a big thing in looks from the Ford’s but it might be a cool thing, or just the ’name’ and it feels hot rod to me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    oliver westlund and dana barlow like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

If you can find real Lincoln plates they do really work better than the Ford brakes. But the repros aren’t an exact match and people in the know will be able to tell the difference. If that matters to you.

5. deucemac

deucemac

I used 50 F2 front brakes on my avatar. I used Buick finned drums and 2" brakes. F2 backing plates are a fraction of the lincoln backing plates and work just as well. You can use 1 3/4 12" Bendix shoes aND 39-48 drums and spindles. I got the idea from Don Montgomery, the late racer and author. He had his deuce 3 window at a meet in Kernville many years ago. No chrome and looked much like the Lincolns. I bought a pair of loaded F2 backing plates for $30. Probably more today, but still under the radar of most hot rodders. I I stalled 69 F250 front wheel cylinders and only had to drill one hole on each side and got "dual servo" Bendix brakes instead of the F2 single-sided cylinders. Only someone that has done that conversion or a brake nerd would ever know that they aren't Lincolns. Any good parts house can supply all you need to complete the conversion .

6. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

If you're building a hot rod to be cool, then anything is game. If you're building a hot rod to function correctly, I would go with the Bendix design.

7. 3w Hank

3w Hank

My idea with this coupe is to be as traditional as possible and try to avoid new made parts or parts newer than 1949.
    Shore allot of parts would be new as as tires etc etc but the hot rod trix I like to use is what was made or used back then.
    If I would like build a ’better’ car its many things I could change but this car is just about the ’factor’.
    I will use it, yes, but most locally but not as a street rod or longer trips, I see it as a wild car build up before 1950 and builded as a expensive car/parts. My guess not all did use Arduns or a Halibrand QC so I’m aware those parts was Very rare for the common rodder to use or afford ( but still it was for sale before 1950 )

Back on the brakes I guess most used the Ford brakes but maybe it was some that did use the Lincolns.
    So for me as I mention its not about it is a better brake than the Ford 40.
    Its just the factor.
    -So if I hear few or non did use Lincolns before 1950 I might not go that way.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  8. Budget36

Budget36

F2’s came out in ‘48 didn’t they? Same as F1’s? If so, no one could tell the difference between ‘48-52 parts.

deucemac likes this.
  9. hipojoe

hipojoe

Dads Hot Rod that is going together right now is using Lincoln brakes, the here we go again 1929 RPU. Will try to get some pictures posted in the next few days. Yes they were a thing, at least in SO CAL back in the day!

10. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I can't find many pictures on Lincolns brakes on a hot-rod - so if any pictures show them !

11. Andy

Andy

I am an old retired engineer. I have not been able to figure out a reasonable design using the F2 backing plates. The mounting surface is too shallow and will not let the drum move in on the spindle. The 40 drums sure will not work with them. A lot of radical machining is required to use them with the Buicks. Save yourself a lot of trouble and buy the repo plates from krylon32.

12. alchemy

alchemy

I've been going to swap meets and auctions in the middle of the US for over 45 years. I've seen LOTS of old Ford parts in that time. But I have not been able to get a set of Lincoln brakes until the last few years. My nephew found me a complete Lincoln rearend on Facebook marketplace for a song, and then the next summer I attended an auction where nobody else in the whole place recognized the complete Lincoln brake and spindle setups on the miscellaneous pallet. I have about $100 in my set of real Lincoln backing plates. But I'll probably never find another set for any price.

Outback likes this.
  13. 3w Hank

3w Hank

New stuff make sense but not in this car.
    In ’looks’ the Ford brake plates are more nice but the factor to use Lincoln is cool.
    I has Lincoln rear rims, transmission so nice to use the brakes.

Found this now.

Attached Files:

14. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I saw new made brake drums to Lincoln 39 and its no hubs on them, so how to get it on a front and rear axle. Do one use the Fords hubs or Lincoln std ?
    I will go and check a set up on Friday.

I use 34 spindles front and will use std axles at rear.
    Here is my Ford 40 brake parts, and se the hubs.

Attached Files:

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Small car, Lincoln rears, 40 parts are nice. With such small tires the Lincoln brakes will look pretty big out front. Small tires skid easier. Just a couple considerations, cool factor includes how well it all works.

Outback likes this.
  16. jimpopper

jimpopper

Original F100 / 15 inch tires 75D5F4B9-E5B3-4984-B3CE-AC27A9519F8D.jpeg

Texas Webb likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

Just use the stock Ford hub and drum assembly on the Lincoln backing plates. I have 39 Lincoln plates and the 40 Ford drums fit right on with no modifications. The Lincoln plates do not look larger than the Fords to much degree. The real ones have the extra lip around the outer edge that gives them away, bit I wouldn't say it's obtrusive.

18. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Lincoln brakes are on the Doane Spencer roadster. Doesn't get any more traditional or better that that!!!

19. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Will a Lincon brake plate/drum look ’bigger’ than a Ford plate/drum ?
    I has Ford 4” wheels and 4.5 tires.

I see spencer seem to use the Lincoln drum/hub.
    I has not seen the kit yet ( I might get ) but owner said its complete ( guess all Lincoln ) and will fit my hot rod.
    ( One might bought my Ford brake parts so he will get the drums.
    If I get the Lincoln kit and keep my Ford parts ( use the drums ) it will be a pricy brakes.

When look at the plates I must say the Fords is better to eye. But Lincoln has another ’effect’ for me.

20. fordpatina

fordpatina

I will post soon a complete set of 40 front set up backing plates new shoes and hardware with
    .35 measures on both drums. NOT CHEAP

21. NealinCA

NealinCA

Original 41 Lincoln front backing plates with Ford hubs and drums, on modified 32-34 spindles
    [​IMG]
    Original 39-40 "deep" front backing plates on 32-34 spindles, with Lincoln hubs/drums
    [​IMG]

RICH B likes this.
  22. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Now we talking, mice.
    Your Ford drum in front is not the same look as mine.
    Yours seems has a groove, my has not.
    The Lincolns, has they grooves ?

I notice 2 other things.
    Non chromed is flat on backing plate and has a ring on outside.
    The chromed has a deep offset and no ring.
    So that is a design change 39 or 40..
    -So what is best for a 40 wheel ? ( or = the way to go ?

The deep one get a little odd look.

-Can this be explained.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  23. NealinCA

NealinCA

That is a 37-39 Ford drum with the grooves, but a 40-41 or 42-48 Ford drum would work just the same.

Like stated above, the non chrome is 41 Lincoln, the chrome with deep offset is 39-40 Lincoln.

The 41 backing plates work with Ford hubs/drums as they are the same offset at 39-48 Ford backing plates.

The 39-40 Lincoln backing plates must be used with Lincoln hubs/drums due to the deep offset.

24. NealinCA

NealinCA

And these are the new "41 Lincoln" style Bendix backing plates on 40 Spindles. I don't mind using them on a full fendered car.

[​IMG]

This car had the new small bolt pattern "41 Lincoln" style backing plates, designed to bolt directly to 28-36 Ford spindles. These are on 32-34 spindles with 40-41 Ford drums
    [​IMG]

Outback likes this.
  25. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Thanks for input.

So for now I think the front 41 backing plates as the 39 lock kind of odd to me.
    If 41 I could then use my Ford 40 drums.
    Maybe it was a ’big look’ to be concider when use rhe 41 ( need read more.

Question. Can I use my rear Ford drums on rear Lincoln backing plates.

26. NealinCA

NealinCA

Yes, those are a direct bolt on replacement for Ford backing plates

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The allure of the Lincoln brakes, is it the internals, the Bendix system? Next, did that system become standard on Ford as well maybe postwar? Seems I need to bone up on my service/parts info.

28. 3w Hank

3w Hank

TheHIGHLANDER.

Even the best of set-up on the old Fords cant compete with the Bendix system ( even on a light car )
    In my case here its really not ’why’ I might do this. Shore a better brakes is also a ’factor’ and why people did do this in the past.
    But I’m really after the ’cool factor’ only, so was it cooler hot-rod to use the old Fords I would stay there, and shore they is traditional hot-rod and my guess few did go Bendix Lincoln but some did.
    -After dig into it, I like the idea to my car.

Now I need to find 1941 backing plates !

29. 3w Hank

3w Hank

NealingCA.

The chromed set-up on picture of the 39/40 does it miss the ’water shields ring’ to protect it from water drop in ?
    If its missing. is that the way it was done ?

What system is thought of be the coolest, is it the 39/40 or the 41 ?

30. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I did find this.
    Spencer did use the 41 Lincoln.
    Here I did find the 3 different styles.

Question.
    -It can be cool to has the axle end deep in the backing plate but I need get more inputs here.

Attached Files: