Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lincoln King Pins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcbay, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mcbay

mcbay

We have here a 32 Ford axle with Lincoln spindles which have larger king pins. Has anyone used this combo..? and how did or would you handle the spindle bushings?
    It is interesting that the Ford bushings fit inside the stock Lincoln spindle bushings but not sure this is a good idea.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

What year are your Lincoln spindles?

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""It is interesting that the Ford bushings fit inside the stock Lincoln spindle bushings but not sure this is a good idea.""

I knew there was a difference but not that much! If the fit is reasonably good a good cleaning, scuffing and mild knurl on od of Ford bush; Loctite and press together?

4. mcbay

mcbay

They have the deep backing plates. Its been a while but I think they are later 42 -46

5. mcbay

mcbay

I am concerned about doubling the thickness of the bushings.

6. Fordors

Fordors

A Ford axle uses spindles that have an 8 degree king pin inclination, and while I’m not sure about your later ‘42-‘46 Lincoln spindles the earlier Lincoln spindles are only 4 degrees KPI.
    If you do somehow complete this swap you will need to have the axle bent to correct the camber.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  7. ^ I was wondering about this.

8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

If the Ford / Lincoln kingpins are that close, why not bore(hopefully in a mill) the axle for the Lincoln pins/bushings? I've never liked adding "Mickey Mouse" to something that needs to be kept "KISS"!! ("Keep It Simple Stupid", for those who ask...)

9. mcbay

mcbay

Yes the KPI is different. I thought about using Lincoln king pins....

10. mcbay

mcbay

I was hoping someone had done this....

11. If you hog out the axle, you loose material strength there. Why not sleeve the spindles then use Ford bushes?

12. mcbay

mcbay

The KPI has been set up for the Lincoln spindles. I may just leave the old larger bushings in an Loctite new Ford bushings or use the Royal needle bearings.

jackandeuces likes this.