Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lincoln brakes on A-V8 axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jebbesen, Mar 29, 2019.

1. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Has anyone here tried putting Lincoln Bendix brakes on a V8 banjo with spring over mounts added on from an A axle? I know that if Bendix brakes are put on an A axle spacers are required. What I'd like to do is weld trimmed off A spring mounts inboard of my Banjo housing flange like the pic below that @lodaddyo posted. It must be close to clearing but short of buying some A housings to trim and try, I figured I'd see if anyone has tried.

What I want to do...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448332617.940529 (1).jpg

The backing plates I'm using...

IMG_20190327_130824.jpg

The car it'll be going on. I want to go to a spring over setup in anticipation of building a fabricated quickchange down the road...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1950s-tube-frame-sports-car.993579/

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

MT Products shows a 28/31 rear spacer for mounting their Lincoln brakes on an A rear end with the stock spring perch.

3. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Yeah I've seen that. I just wonder if they could sneak by if the A mount is moved inboard of the V8 casting like the pic I posted.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  4. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

I guess another option would be to swap wheel cylinders side to side and put the backing plates on upside down with the wheel cylinders on the bottom.

5. Brake bleeder on the bottom would be a problem...

6. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Was thinking this might fix that problem. It has the bolt holes on the line side not the bleeder so you could put them on with the bleeders up and not have to modify the back plates.

Screenshot_20190330-084605.png

kadillackid likes this.
  7. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This may or may not help but I have attached a couple of pictures that show the stock rear end with hydraulic brakes that had backing plates turned upside down. This was on my 28 roadster that I bought on eBay without looking at it in person. (lesson learned). There were numerous problems with the set up but the worst were the copper lines that were exposed to potential damage when at the lowest part of the backing plate. The one picture shows the relationship of the model A spring hanger to the face of the axle housing where the backing plate bolts up. It was possible to take 40 Lockeed BP's and grind a small spot in the BP for clearance of the lower part of the spring hanger. In comparing it appears there is more clearance on the set up you show. One thing that worries me is that the Lincoln backing plates look like the wheel cylinder may sit closer to the axle than Lockheed ones do. I would strongly encourage you to not mount backing plates upside down unless you have a lot of ugly heavy duty protection for your brake lines. Since I was running tube shocks I was able to cut off the shock mounts, mount the BP in the correct position and bend the steel lines to clear everything. IMG_0643.jpg IMG_0671.jpg

8. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Ok. I'll take that advice and only flip them if absolutely necessary. Thanks for the info!