Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lincoln 317 Removing Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZSK, Jan 31, 2014.

1. ZSK

ZSK

I'm running an electric fuel pump on my Lincoln 317 and I'd like to remove the mechanical pump still on the engine. Can I just pull the fuel pump and make a block off plate or are there other components that need to be removed also? Does the pump push rod need to be removed or is it held in place when the pump is removed?

2. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

I'd suspect you just pull the pump and pushrod, and cover it up.

3. Be sure you install a fuel pressure regulator between the new electric pump and the carburetor.
    If you don't you will probably over pressurize the fuel flowing into your Holly and then you will promptly find out why those carburetors earned their nickname "the flaming teapot".

Ask me how I know.

4. brechlrl

brechlrl
    from Wisconsin

The pushrod has a snap ring that keeps it from falling in the pan so it will be fine. A block off plate for an FE will work .. Don't throw away the old pump they are hard to find

5. ZSK

ZSK

How do you know?

The truck was parked 10 years ago and I'm getting it back on the road. The fuel system needs my attention. Gummed up fuel led to stuck valves, which led to bent pushrods. So, I've got the heads and intake pulled at the moment to clean the varnish off of the valves and the intake. While it's apart an updated distributor, oil pump and drive shaft are going in along with an edelbrock 1406 carburetor.

The fuel tank is rusted up and varnished also, so I found a replacement to get going again. Since we bought the truck in the late 90's it has had an electric pump on the frame rail, the mechanical pump wasn't being utilized.

I'll price up the FE block off, worse case I'll just cut one out.