Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lincoln 302 Bellhousing/flywheel

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kustombuil1911, May 19, 2015.

1. kustombuil1911

kustombuil1911

Hi everyone! Been looking around here (and other forums) for the answer to a question I have. But haven't been able to find anything, so I made the plunge & signed up to see if I can get an answer.

I'm working on a 1961 F-100 short bed. I've got a Lincoln Y block (302) out of an early '60s F-700. I'm wanting to run this motor with the 3 speed transmission that was in the
    F-100. I am trying 2 figure out what Bellhousing/flywheel set up I will need. After doing some reading I'm starting to wonder if this will be possible. Sure hoping someone out there has got an answer. Thanks in advance!

2. You have bitten on a tough cookie here.

I"ll tell you what I know about these things.

The later 302 LYB engines are in the same family as the early 279,317,332,341 and finally the 368.

Used in trucks so the standard shift truck bell housing should not be too hard to find. My application was the 368 Mercury engine with the M335 option.

These engines used an 11 inch clutch assembly (I have a brand new p/plate and disc availiable if interested)
    My Mercury M335 option used a special aluminum bell housing of which only 100 units were made. It was a rare race optioned NASCAR engine built by Bill Strope.

Since you are doing a truck the M335 stuff is no matter to you BUT it does share some of the same componets.

The clutch assembly that I have availiable was for a truck setup and did not fit into the aluminum bell housing assembly.
    I found that out the hard way as I had to have a special assembly made to fit the aluminum bell housing.

There is a LYB group on the H.A.M.B. Social Forums that you may want to join.

I do have some LYB contacts for parts.Contact me off board if you would like that info.

Good luck!
    Oldmics

3. kustombuil1911

kustombuil1911

Thanks for the quick response! I figured this would be a tough one! On the bright side I bought the entire F-700 & drove it home. So I do have the truck Bellhousing with it. Bolting the 3 speed to it is another story.

You said the 302 is in the same "family". Does this mean the bellhousings will interchange?

4. Yes.

I am guessing that the 3 speed does not match the bolt pattern as the big truck transmission. look on the inside of the bellhousing and see if there are bosses for a different transmission. Sometimes ( not always) ford used the same bell with different bolt holes and it was just a matter of drilling and tapping for the different transmission. I would certainly be worth the look.

5. Bells will interchange within all of the 279,302,317,332,341 and the 368.

Oldmics

6. SO I"m a bit confused - you drove the F700 home and it has the truck bellhousing - O.K. So what trans is behind the F700 bell housing?

Is it the BIG truck 4 speed? And you want to use a 3 speed? What 3 speed box are you considering?

Oldmics

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

He wants to use the 3 speed out of the '61 F100 which was behind either a 223 I6 or a 292 Y Block. He should be able to take the F700 bellhousing and machine it for the F100 3 spd pattern. However the input shaft lengths may be a problem. The OP will need to measure the input shaft lengths and diameters to see how different they are. Other then the amount of pressure required (can we say leg fatigue), perhaps he could use the F100 clutch disc with the F700 pressure plate (assuming diameters are similar) if the F700 is an 11 inch. If it is the larger 13 inch Spicer clutch used on later Ford Medium and Heavy Duty trucks (I am not sure when Ford went to this clutch), then that option is probably out the window.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  8. kustombuil1911

kustombuil1911

That is correct. I bought the entire F-700. Yes it has a 4 speed in it. I don't know how to tell if its the "BIG" truck transmission. The 3 speed is out of a column shifted 1961 F-100.

9. kustombuil1911

kustombuil1911

When the engine & trans are seperated i will definitely check this out. Thanks for the heads up.

10. kustombuil1911

kustombuil1911

Thanks FrozenMerc. This is the route i was think, but was wondering if it could be easier.

11. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

No problem. Hopefully you have an 11 inch clutch in the F700 and the input shaft on the 3 spd is not much shorter than the 4 spd. Let us know how it turns out.

12. I just remeasured my clutch/p/plate assemble, it is a 12" assembly not 11" as I originally thought.

Trans head gear size is 1" O.D. for clutch disc hole. BIG truck trans has larger diameter head gear.

So just to correct my posts above the LYB engine uses a 12" clutch and p/plate assembly.

Old (and failing memory) mics

13. kustombuil1911

kustombuil1911

Thanks guys! I won't be tearing it apart for a couple weeks. Wanted to give myself plenty of "parts gathering" time. Any suggestions if I end up haveing the larger clutch?

OLDSMAN likes this.
  14. Custom discs and p/plates can be had.
    Once you get it apart and if you need custom clutch shops information,just send me a P.M.

Oldmics

15. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

The T5 5 speeds work well with the Lincoln Bell. Pre 95 needs only a round shim to fit the Lincoln Bell. I believe you need to drill 2 of the holes and change the pilot...but its not too hard to tackle.Then you can run a modern 5.0 ltre. clutch and pressure plate.....with some hole drilling on the flywheel.I will be running this behind my 332 as well.