Register now to get rid of these ads!

LimeWorks & Acme Speedshop John team up to upgrade my building

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Limey Steve, Jun 9, 2010.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

very very cool...

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, congrats to both Steve and john on a job well done.

Steve, try hitting enter a couple of times after copying and pasting each photo. That will put one photo in one screen shot with no scrolling

3. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

nice, looks great.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

WOW! Damn impressive you guys!
    Where'd the odd-shaped window come from? Aircraft? Love it!

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Denise, didn't your last signature line state " I DO NOT TEXT"? haha

6. Looks awesome congrats on new look Steve.I would consider that just beautiful artwork great job John takes me back to the 50's an 60's.

7. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Thanks for all the cool comments , John is a great friend & talented geezer , New windows , a larger center window & green tile will finish her off.
    The window in the door mirrors the shape of the Logo sign Acme John again !!
    Thanks for the image separation tip Denise :) you can teach an old dog new tricks.

8. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

9. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

10. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Wow! Fantastic!!! I have to see this in person. Do you have before pics you can post?

11. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

The "odd shaped window" is actually the shape of the Limeworks logo panel. I used that as the shape for the porthole window to tie it into the rest of the design. The door was too plain and needed somthing. We custom made that thing so it fit his door, cnc cut frames from aluminum then hand made it from there.

I designed all of the signs based on old 40's-50's sign shapes. I went thru a whole bunch of design ideas and revisions before landing on this one that Steve liked. Of course the colors are Steves company colors and while they are not what you would have seen back in the day (not sure orange and kermit the frog green were even invented yet) it works for his signs and with these building colors. As it is for most design processes; Steve and I have a lot of sketches going back and forth in order to get here.

Once we landed on the basic designs for the signs we had to go thru a design review / architectural design board and get a conditional use permit from the city.
    After we got thru the city planning department process we did structural engineering and our shop drawings and went back for building department permits.

The signs are built from aluminum with all letters and logos that illuminate from 3/4" "push-thru" acrylic and all aluminum surfaces are painted with urethane paint. Of special interest is the corrugated panels; it looks like a stock item but it is in fact custom made on our 12' box /pan brake. This profile is from structural decking and we just scaled it down to a size that worked with the size of the blade sign. The blade is about 12' tall and the wall mounted "Hot rod" cabinets are 30+ feet wide.

It was a fun project and working with Steve is always a blast. He is the most enthusiastic person I know and I don't think I have ever had as many "I love it calls" from a customer on installation day. Steve is a tru friend and really made this sign project fun for everyone at my shop.

Thanks Steve!!!!!

Here are a few shots of it on load out day. Steve has a bunch of photos of it in bare metal if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Call me. I will make your signs. Always looking for the next job.

John.

13. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Wow!
    That's incredible!
    I remember the 1st time I drove there- I drove right past it!
    No one can miss it now!

14. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Amazing!!! Just wow!!

15. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

That looks great!

I hope it's secured real good or it will end up in Kiwi Kev's backyard museum.

:D

16. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

[​IMG]

here is a quick shot from last year

I'll have you know John used 6" drywall screws YES 6" drywall screws (lots of em too ) ;)

17. M.Edell

M.Edell

Whoa..thats very cool.

18. NoSurf

NoSurf

Wow, that looks great. I saw that metal deck and then thought that didn't look like a catalog size. Very very cool.

19. John Denich

John Denich

So is John gonna have a Limeworks Roadster soon???? I know he is missing his old one!!! Trade for Trade...hey I got you more Bars..I will be by next week, the sign looks great!

20. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Cheers John , I know a coupe is on the Horizon. I'm looking forward to them bars , your dad's a King , you being the Prince of course. Hopefully you can make it up Thursday next for our open house.

21. John Denich

John Denich

Thats when I am bringing them with my Dad, he will be here for the Roadster Show, I will see you on Thursday!

22. Weasel

Weasel

That's a class act - but then again so are Lime Works and Acme Speed Shop....

23. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

Brilliant Job. Makes you want to come to work...............Day or Nite. The roadster would look killer under the lites ! Class--Plus .

24. PFF

PFF
    from UK

Hey Steve
    Wow that looks sweet... no chance of driving past your shop (as Iv done in the past)
    Just needs a Vulture to perch on the top

Cheers Pete

25. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

The upgrades look really good....

26. Beautiful job on the signage! Great design, and awesome style.

27. Weasel

Weasel

The vulture is next to the basket ball hoop atop a Sports Bar on Woodruff Ave in Long Beach in the Harbor Freight strip mall. Time to send Andrew out to "acquire" it....

28. brady1929

brady1929

looks very cool

29. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Very Classy. I dig it.

30. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Pete , funny you should say that !!v I was thinking the same , I've got some from when Carol's Car was in the Suede Palace , scare the birds away too .