Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 'Lil Banger Start-up after 29 year hibernation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AccurateMike, Oct 2, 2021.

1. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I looked at the wiring (rough)and made a start box with a solenoid, coil, tach, ignition switch and start button to bypass the whole mess. The fellow I bought it from said the starter was junk. I tested it and he was right. Swapped it with one from an organ donor in the barn. Ford drive went right on. Turned over, no spark. The distributor was all busted inside. Ordered a new distributor. Had to pull the head to get the stuck distributor out. I did give it a noble effort first. Did see a sleeve in #4 while I was in there, everything looked pretty good though. Carb was full of dirt, so I swapped it for one from another organ donor in the barn. 30mm Solex, bolted on backwards to clear the Ford's distributor, it had recently run but wet itself a little. It fired ! The fire blew out of a hole in the top of the exhaust that I had not seen :mad::(. This set the leaky donor carb on fire. I made a temporary exhaust manifold and rebuilt the original Solex 26 (soda box and catalog cover gaskets). No leaks now. It finally runs !

Good vacuum, good oil pressure. No oil in the water or water in the oil. No smoke or steam. No noises or knocks. Thermostat opens and closes and the radiator works. Not one of those "will it start ?" videos but, I'm happy !
    Enjoy, Mike

2. loudbang

loudbang

Runs good. :)
    What are the two thin flat silver Wires? running from the cowl up to the radiator support area?

AccurateMike likes this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wow. That engine sounds great. So rewarding when everything goes together with good results.

loudbang and AccurateMike like this.
  4. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Good eye ! It's stripe tape. Trying to get a feeling how much space might be under a different bonnet. The Anglia is donating this engine to a project. I just wanted to hear it run before I decided it was a goer. Turns out it purrs. Thanks, Mike

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    loudbang likes this.