Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Light bar for model A with Deuce grill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jellowe, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Jellowe

Jellowe

My car is a full fender 31 Model A with 32 grill. I can’t seem to find a headlight bar for this popular combination. In lieu of purchasing one, which would be nice, can someone please tell me the best way to make one from the stock model A light bar? I would like to lower the lights and clear the Duece grill, thanks

2. lake_harley

lake_harley

I lowered a couple 30/31 light bars which was a bit of a challenge but if I recall it would also have to bulge out a little to clear a 32 shell? That would add an extra challenge.

To lower mine I made sure the light bar I had actually fit my 31 and then made a sturdy fixture it would bolt to. Unbolting one side I did the bends on one end, first bending it down, cooling and then a 2nd bend to bring it back up to level. After it cooled I then un-bolted that side, bolted up the other side and repeated. I had to do a bit of re-heating and re-bending to get both sides back to the perfect width and pad angles to bolt back up to the fixture, but in your case you'd have to add another step and consideration to add the forward bow to clear the 32 shell. Other than more re-heating and re-bending and trial and error I'm not sure how to get the bow you need. There's probably an elegant way of doing it and someone will probably come along in a little bit to explain how that's accomplished and make me feel silly, but I had found a how-to here on the HAMB for what I did and I would think the process is quite similar. Maybe not?

Good luck. I'll be watching to see what others come up with.

Lynn

3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I took a 30-31 headlight bar and heated the ends and dropped them and then cut the center bar out and replaced it with tubing bent to clear the grill. I clamped mine in a vice and did it much the same as lake_harley, had to reheat and tweak it to fit right. Wasn't real happy with the result and ended up buying a stainless one and passed it on to a friend who used it on his 30 roadster.

sport coupe 009.JPG sport coupe 008.JPG

stillrunners likes this.

4. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I took a different direction on my ‘29. I rotated the light bar and fender braces forward in the frame attach holes far enough to clear the grille. I then hammered out the fender recesses and re-located them to match.
    You[​IMG] can’t detect what was done.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

stillrunners likes this.
  5. lake_harley

lake_harley

^^^^^That's a LOT of tweaking! :eek: I'm pretty proud of myself when I can even get things to fit back together at all! :confused:

Lynn

6. Jellowe

Jellowe

Thanks. This just what I need. Not cheap but I will never make one as good.

7. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Last one I did worked out OK. I used several pipe clamps with lag bolts to secure to 2 - 4x4s that were braced with 2 - 2x4s to create a solid frame holding the mount ends securely lagged in place with the center of the bar 3 1/2" off the concrete work surface. Gradual heating and beating the length of the bar with my big ball peen from the backside and center of the bar moved it enough to not change the mounting hole locations but allowed it to clear the '32 grill. This is a good way to do it on the first attempt because you have a good visual of how far it has moved. I couldn't find any pics of that bar. It didn't lower it but the car itself was lowered enough.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021