Register now to get rid of these ads!

lifting a body from a frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by randy, May 4, 2007.

1. randy

randy

What's the best way to lift a body from a frame in a standard 2 car garage? Anyone wish to share a story on how not to do it? I guess the question is, how many friends need to be present for it to be possible.

I need to get a '53 ford car off its frame and on to a stand and would REALLY like to do it without dropping it or throwing my back out.

Thanks.
    -r

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've never had help taking a body off a chassis, Model T Fords to 1950 Chevie. Just get yourself some good 4x4's a jack, GOOD sawhorses and lift it high enough to roll the chassis out.

3. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

4 guys on the corners, and maybe 1 or 2 floaters....

4. roadracer

roadracer

I removed one like this on my own; get two tie-down straps (beefy) and throw them over some beams in the roof (good ones), then wrap around the body somewhere - i used through the trunk opening and out the back window (glass was all removed) and another through front doors. Then I just ratched the straps tight, occasionally stopping to support on saw horses to release the straps and start over (you cant ratchet very long before it "fills up" and wont ratchet any more)

5. Nelly

Nelly

I did it myself with 4x4s and 2 floor jacks. Take your time & be careful not to rack the body. I took the rear wheels off to minimize the height I had to raise the body in order for the frame to clear the body.

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I used to use my cherry picker, and a chain. Lifts it much higher than floor jacks can. Like the others said, 4 x 4's and good saw horses to keep it up.

7. I have used a cherry picker many time to lift bodys off the frame, have even done it myself that way.

One cool way to support it is to lift one end, put a 6x6 under it and set it on 50 Gal drums,, to the same to the front and roll the frame out from under.

NEVER USE CINDER BLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!

8. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

the more people the better I was fortunate to have it outside with a gantry and air condition compressor lift.
    [​IMG]

9. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

I've done it solo - take your time and make sure you've got plenty of height. You can rig up a sling an pulley system - but it's waay cheaper to buy beer and burgers for 3-4 of your buddies and pull it thataway.

Having said that - make sure you brace the body internally B4 pulling it off the frame - especially if it has any rust issues. If you don't - the doors may not fit right when it's time to marry the body and frame later...

10. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I used a cherry picker, a couple of tow straps and my back on my 4 door 51, took it off and put it on by myself.

11. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

Here are the pictures of what I did, alone. I welded 1 inch square tubing in the car before I took the mount bolts out. I am channeling the car, so I put the same 1 inch stock at the new floor level, that gave me a place to slide a 4x4 under several of the braces. I looped a web strap around the 4x4 and lifted using the cherry picker. It helps to tie some rope from low in the body to the lifting hook to keep the body from rolling as you lift.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179631

12. Camper jacks work real well for this. It's a one man job and you take a lot of risk out of the equation. If you don't have any friends with camper jacks, check with a local RV dealer. They are not fast moving items and I got my set of 4 fairly cheap (hell of lot cheaper the hospital or chiropractor bills).

13. Ramblur

Ramblur

10 foot pole and my trusty Ford backhoe...

[​IMG]

14. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I did this myself with a come along, two pieces of steel, two 2x6's, ropes and boat tie downs. Use what you have but be safe. I put 4x4's up on the rafters to give it height and spread the weight. The come along lifts from the inside so balance is important. I didn't want to put any stress on the body and this worked great. Now, how many of you build your car with "traditional" methods? Or was your car built in a big shop with all the latest lifts and other non-traditional equipment and just looks traditional? Think about it.

Attached Files:

15. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

When useing 2X4s etc thru windows and whatnot, wrap them heavily with old towels where they meet the metal. Saves fixing dings and dents in the window or door frames later.

Always depends on the situation and what you have handy. I've used a bunch of methods. The last one I jacked up and supported the whole car, tied the body to the garage joists, unbolted it then lowered the chassis and rolled it out. Those joists are doubled BTW. Just had to get it high enough to clear the tires when rolling the chassis out. If your garage isn't high enough you can let the air out of the tires or unbolt the wheels for more clearance and drag the chassis out.

If you use the buddy method you have to be firm. Don't break out the second six-pak untill they have the body off and where you want it. Only 1 beer each max till the work is done for safety.:cool:

16. sodas38

sodas38

I've used a simple floor jack, 2 4x4's or 4 2x4's, cinder blocks (2-3 on each corner). I just happened to have a bunch of cinder blocks.

Jack up one end stick the cinder blocks under there and put the 4x4 across them, lay body on it and move to other end. Repeat step one on other end. Move back and raise up the other end, add another block to each corner then lay body back down. Repeat on other end.

Be sure you space the blocks wide enough apart if you want to roll the chassis out from under it. This works great in a single car garage. You can roll the chassis out in the driveway to work on it then roll it back in when your done. :)

17. Sometimes it's easier to jack the whole car up pretty high, then rig up something to support the body up in the air. Then undo the body-to-frame bolts. Then lower the frame back down and roll it out from underneath. If you have the heavy stuff off the frame, you can roll the frame on furniture dollies or bolt some casters to it.

18. I meant to attach this picture with the last message:

Attached Files:

19. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Hey Bolts the truck is looking great! Just had to throw that in.

20. Thanks!:)

21. I also did my '50 Chev 2 dr by myself using a cherry picker in the front, jacks in the back. Note; removing your steering is easier than trying to disconnect things + the lower the frame = less height to lift the the body. If you have skates you can rest the brake drums on them it'll be nice and low (referring more so to the height you free up from the rear tires in the body)+ you can still pull the chassis out from under. Oh by the way, do it all SLOWLY & CAREFULLY and you'll be fine!