Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects life size re-creation of Sonny DePalmas "Kosmic Kreep"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOLLYWQQD, Dec 1, 2013.

1. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

IMG_4209.jpg The Hot Rod and Low brow kustom art culture has recently lost an amazingly talented and humble man , Sonny DePalma . one of his pieces of one off art that always got me excited was the 1/8th scale bubble top model that he built . i have been itching to do a bubble top show rod for a bunch of years but i have had a lot of other things i need to get done first and honestly i haven't really had the funds or the space . well i still don't have the funds or the space but with the recent loss of Sonny i have officially decided to do it . i am going to re create the Kosmic kreep in a full size fully functional version that i will try my best to make as exact to the 1/8th scale original as i can !

it has been said over the years that the KK has a blown 392 HEMI in it with 6 chrome strommys on top . i discovered a photo of the build process that has a shot of the motor in paint before assembly and it clearly has an extended bell housing on it so i went on the hunt for an early 331 with the extended bell which i was able to score today. i have a chrome 57 chevy rear end that will be perfect for this project and i have a set of radir www rear slicks . i have six chrome strombergs here that will work great on top of the weezer as soon as i find one . i have done a bunch of research on blowing a bubble for it and have a cowl and doors , now to find quarters and a deck lid! i am stoked to be doing this and i am going to get moving on it soon but it won't happen overnight . i am going to spend some time on it and make sure i do it justice . so here are a few pics and wish me and the Villains cc luck !! or tell me how stupid we are for doing this either way it's going down in P town !

IMG_4209.jpg IMG_2851 (2).jpg IMG_2836-X2.jpg 14717052_10207804275488338_2394324369013911834_n.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    GuyW, Stogy, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  2. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

good luck cant wait to see it!!!

Stogy likes this.
  3. ratster

ratster

cool! you can use a warehouse sky light for the bubble. i seen them on line for under $400

Stogy likes this.
  4. I think the model is pretty neat. Normally I don't like the bubbles like that. I prefer em more oval than round. But plowboys had a round bubble and that thing is awesome. I like the one on this one because it is kind of exaggerated being a little taller. I look forward to your build, should be cool and fun.

Stogy likes this.

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Great idea to memorialize Sonny. Good luck with building it! Keep us updated!

Stogy likes this.
  6. subscribed

Stogy likes this.
  7. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Ditto

Stogy likes this.
  8. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Me too, love this kinda crazy stuff.

Stogy likes this.
  9. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Would be cool, but is'nt it basicly the atomic punk....

Attached Files:

10. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

that's like saying it would make no sense to build a fenderless black 33 or 34 5 wdw coupe with a flat head and bias ply tires because its basically the same as every other black fenderless 33 or 34 5 wdw coupe with bias ply tires .

but to answer your question .... No , it's not basically the Atomic Punk although they are both Hemi powered , bubble topped , finned , bad ass , crazy cool show rods they are very different in other ways . the Atomic Punk was partially Sonny's inspiration for the 1/8th scale Kosmic kreep so it is no surprise they are similar . if the full size version turns out as kool as the punk , or the model , i will be fuckin stoked !!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    rod1 and Stogy like this.
  11. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

I wasnt saying you shouldnt do it, and i hope you do. more bubble top show rods makes the world a better place...

Stogy likes this.
  12. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

sure does, and i am doin' it !!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    Stogy likes this.
  13. rockfish

rockfish

So is it done yet?? Sorry for being a smart ass:) Looking forward to following the progress on the build. Sometimes it's fun to see something totally impractical come together. Art for the sake of art!

Stogy likes this.
  14. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

This build/thread is not going to move nearly as fast as my last couple did for a few reasons , I don't have most of the parts in a pile and I don't have a pile of un spoken for money to throw at parts . I am gathering those parts though and that's a big step on this one . Look for major progress to start after the new year ! This thread was started now as my commitment to myself to follow through .

HOLLYWQQD

Stogy likes this.
  15. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Hell yeah! Build what makes you happy! I am looking forward to this one, good luck.

Stogy likes this.
  16. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

If you build it they will come!
    Let me know if I can help, parts or pics wise I live just 1/2 from Sonny's house
    Maybe his brother will sell u the OG one, I believe it's still in
    The families possession.
    Also, if you know Michael "mikey" DePalma he is selling off or possibly donating some of
    His(Mikey's) own parts up there in Utica
    That is a cool as hell tribute

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  17. Cant wait to see this get going. Subscribed :)

18. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i do know mike and i sent him a message but have not heard back from him , i'm sure his mind is in another place .

19. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i heard form Pam , and the family is sitting down with lawyers regarding all things related to Sonnys art since his passing . Until i get the green light from her and his brother Mike i am just collecting a bunch of cool parts , and if for some reason i don't get the go ahead to build this i will be building a very similar car with a lot of very similar parts from this pile i keep adding to .
    i'll keep ya all posted .

20. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Best of luck to all involved,
    loosing a family member or spouse sucks.
    All I can say is Sonny was a man with a big
    heart and a talent unmatched, and a great sense
    of humor, perfect timing on any dry joke he had
    up his sleeve!!
    RIP
    Sonny

21. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Exactly , I should have waited until some time had passed and presented this thought privately to the family , but my timing isn't as spot on as sonny's was ! I just felt compelled to do this as soon as I heard he was sick but I was following his updates on Facebook and figured I would have many chances to go over it with him in the future . When he passed it was a surprise to me and I my reaction was just to blurt out that I wanted to do this . First and foremost this will be a tribute to sonny in memory of his awesome art and I look forward to hearing I can move on with the build! RIP SONNY D

22. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

been a long time but this is going to happen , permission is granted and the pile of parts i have will soon be looking like something . within a month i will at the very least have a pile of parts all in one spot for a photo then the build will start to get underway ! IMG_3841.JPG

Floater03, Stogy, patmanta and 4 others like this.
  23. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool I hope you post build pictures , are you going to make a creep to sit inside at shows to ?

Stogy and GordonC like this.
  24. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

you can bet i will both post build pics and im looking for some way to have the kreepy 9 eyed monster made for sure !

25. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

Good luck with your build....

Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anybody know if @HOLLYWQQD was able to get this dream alive?

RIP Sonny DePalma

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Wow I haven’t been on here in a while ! I have a lot going on and I am in the process of making this happen ! Body is getting close and I have the Hemi minus blower and carbs and the wheels and tires and I have a guy lined up to do the monster , I sourced a Norm skull and I’m in the market for another if anyone is willing to part with one ? Bubble is figured out and it should start coming together this coming year ! Also in the process of setting up a traveling gallery with Sonnys brother to get his art displayed and seen by his fans !

28. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Billetproof Florida has been moved to Oct. this year. That would be an awesome place to see Sony's creations again. The Salvagerz had a memorial award dedicated to Sony at the show for a couple years, not to mention his additions to the best kustom trophies before his passing. SANY0024.JPG

Stogy, mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

That’s definitely something In the works for the future ! I talked to Marcy at Detroit but I didn’t get a chance to discuss that with her ! Not sure I’ll be able to pull off everything I want to do this year but it is certainly on the list of relatively short term goals ! His brother has a decent amount of Sonnys stuff but not even close to the total amount of stuff that he had and obviously nowhere near the amount of stuff that sonny did for clients and other friends so it wouldn’t be a huge display but still very kool !

Stogy and mad mikey like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great News @HOLLYWQQD...good to see you getting all paths aligned for the Monster Rod...look forward to all the festivities and milestones and welcome back...;)