Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods License plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy2car, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

At a couple of cars shows last year there was a vendor that makes license plates for California plates.
    Does anyone know where I might find someone that does make replacemant plates?
    Thanks
    Jim

2. squirrel

squirrel

Get some of the new personalized black plates that the state is selling.

CoolYourJets and Hnstray like this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Try the DMV. Those guy's making them are not making legal plates. Most of these guys make plastic plates in a hot press.

Hnstray likes this.

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

They don't have to be "Personalized". They also have standard issue.

Hnstray likes this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

40 bucks extra a year, personalized or not is what I heard... Not for me. IMO Black plates on a new car look stupid.

Mona and hidez57 like this.
  6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I think our old governor is making license plates now:rolleyes:

kbgreen and fourspeedwagon like this.
  7. The reproduction plates might be good for shows but don't expect to register them. I like the pairs to use for YOM registration but for a show where you don't plan to register them you don't even need a pair, who is going to compare the number on the front with the number on the back?

Charlie Stephens

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heres a chuckle for you all...Numbnuts here (Stogy) had a chat at a cruise just a year or so ago with a fellow with 000 000 plates on his T-Bird and he carried on about how he aquired these rare plates after I asked him about them. I figured he paid a pretty penny and had a cool score.
    Fast forward to another cruise and I see another guy stopping and getting out and saying forgot my plates while leaving near the closing. I watch him take off those 000 000 plates. Then I see a business selling them near the cruise raffle.

So going back to my chat with that guy about his plates...He must have chuckled for a bit after convincing me of his rare plates...:D...I doubt those are legal tender.

I still think YOM plates are a stupid deal.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Except those ones...:D

To rephrase my comment about YOM Plates we should be allowed YOM and all others too date as long as numbers are clear for register.

I have several pairs 1946, 1956, but with YOM they are useless except for wall art.

I chose to run specialized custom plates as the price was the same to run YOM and I didn't have to find them...ordered them right off the MOT. Pretty sure things are similar your way. These prices made it tough for the Vintage original plate people...First you have to buy the old plate which can be large then pay the huge registration cost. Its a pretty pricey affair...

Bal1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  11. I understand YOM plates on a stock or restored car. I think a modified car would seem more real if the plates reflected to time period of the modifications.
    Does that make sense?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lurker mick and Stogy like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Mine was free;)

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it makes total sense to run a plate that reflects the period your car is...But you can't runem with the stupid YOM Law...man is it dumb. If they thought about it We'll still pay the money...They make money, I'm happy to. Then I could run 1962 plates that fit the period of my Hotrod.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  14. I had Antique plates on my roadster, restricted use. Now my plates are what defines my roadster, OLD ROD.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

And, very likely, it's owner! :D:D

chryslerfan55, AVater and Stogy like this.
  16. ratrod0

ratrod0

Try tvplates.com

kbgreen and Special Ed like this.
  17. urchinhead

urchinhead

I have been through this and can tell you what to do:

Find a matched set of plates that have a clean title (not registered to another vehicle, and yes, this does happen).

Take them to the DMV and fill out the paperwork. They may ask for a letter from the person you purchased them from, but they might just want your money. Every person at the window has a different understanding of YOM, so try a different person or DMV branch if things are not going your way.

No one will make plates for you, not even some of the foreign vendors. There are several people that restore plates, but don't expect to get them back for a couple of months.

It was hell for me to get my plates, and now I see black plates on rice burners and Porches. But - mine are original with the 63 stamping, and I do not have to pay any additional yearly fees like they do. Good luck!

18. urchinhead

urchinhead

P.S. Do not waste your time with TV plates or any other vendor that makes reproduction plates.

olscrounger likes this.
  19. Years ago, before I grew in wisdom, Grasshopper, I got one of those vacuum formed plastic plates for a couple of bucks.
    I've used it on all types of my cars..... but only for photographs, not for car shows.

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I wish OURS was!!!!!

scrubby2009, hidez57, Saxman and 3 others like this.
  21. In Maryland, you can register a pair of YOM plates, but you also have to pay for a set of street rod or classic car tags and keep them somewhere in your vehicle!

22. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

California law is different. The YOM plates are actually registered to your car and the only plates needed. No need for additional plates.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  23. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I do have to say that the new CA black plates are pretty damn close to original black plates, except for character spacing. I resisted them at first, but now I'm on board! I love original CA black plates and since I have the opportunity to get some new ones for my DD, I'm taking it!

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BigDog and all. If your "new black Caliornia plate" is on a 1962 to 1969 I'm ok with it. In 1969 the yellow on blue came out and ran to 1986. I realize that you "could " keep your black plate on the earlier car and not put a newer one but in 69 or later you could not go back, if you bought a car with no plates you got blue on yellow which were the first ones that you could get personalized. We still have the yellow on blue personal plate of 4NCRSUC which has been on 4 vehicles and now on a 2006 Chevrolet pickup. My avatar has a YOM.
    It's a small thing but a Cal black plate on a 2016 Mercedes just looks dumb.

25. toml24

toml24

California DMV had a competition between YELLOW 1950's, BLACK 1960's, and BLUE 1970's, and the black won. IMO the black is tough to see day or night. I wonder if nostalgia and history or hard to see by law enforcement was the true reason the black won out?

26. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

upload_2017-2-15_16-36-48.png

I wish they made these (shape) now.

kbgreen likes this.
  27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have seen the new black ones on new cars-looks strange at first glance. I have YOM plates and blue with yellow personal plates-have had for a long time. MVC-023S.JPG MVC-024S.JPG

28. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

OK, yes Martha there was a vendor in Florida that made amazing California METAL repop plates.
    I know of a number of rodders that had them, and what they did was have a current white plate series made into yellow or black plates, mostly yellow. And a couple of rodders even had CHP give them the look while giving a speeding ticket, they carried their white plates with them.
    The 'good' thing was you could order a plate to add to a single plate for a pair and with the right DMV person, they went through.
    Then about two years ago, suddenly he stopped making them. Word was he got a letter from California.
    Lately I found the vendor and he is making CA plates again for 'display' usage and will not mail to California.
    But with the new black plates, and we have one set, they are amazing and CA is making a bundle on them.
    I wonder if I order a new set with the same number series of a black plate I have?????????