Register now to get rid of these ads!

LFD's RPU build part 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rokcrln, Feb 5, 2011.

1. rokcrln

rokcrln

I am just in the parts collecting stage right now but I will be starting on the door jambs and door structures soon. One of the reasons for this build (besides just wanting too) is I am building a 3 window coupe from scratch and I need to dial in the door jambs. So I figure why not start building the bucks and jigs and use the first run of parts on the RPU since they will not be as perfect as the later sets will be. Plus a RPU is so much less work then the coupe since it will not have roll up windows, a roof, truck or fenders.

I already have a bare frame with title and pink for a 36 truck so I will use that for this build. Then for some trade work with a friend who is building a very nice 36 4 door sedan I got all his stock (but rebuilt) running gear that I will use as well. I built a cart for the 39 flat head and it fired right up so I found a radiator that I pulled out of a 51 F1 a few years back and set along the fence and to my surprise when I checked it today it worked great. I want to keep the wide 5 wheels but I will convert the brakes over to juice.

If any one has a cheap but good way of converting the brakes from mech. to juice I would really appreciate a link.

I will also change the stock trans over to a 5spd (S10 I think was the way to go) but leave the motor stock. It will be lowered but I have not yet decided on the best way to go about doing that yet.

Here are a few pics of the parts as well as a half scale of the RPU I am building for my son and mine will be very similar. Then here is one pic of the coupe as it gets ready for its jambs.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

Attached Files:

2. hotdamn

hotdamn

is that a 34 cowl? what is the body modeled after? body looks like it could be a super cool 60 piece kinda plowboy/rothish

3. rokcrln

rokcrln

Made some progress over the last few months while working around life and customer builds plus my 14hr a day day job.
    I was given a perfect 36 ford fire wall and this was just the piece I needed. I will use this as part of the buck for the body so that way I or a customer can use any stock or after market firewall depending on the motor set up. I have also played around with quarter panels and door hinges. I ended up going with Carolina custom's suicide door hinges because of the extra through they give away from the body. I have the door swinging and latching and when open almost 90* I still have 5/8" between the door edge and the body and this is starting with a 3/16 door gap. So now that the door and hinge set up works I can get started on the jigs and buck for the door jamb and door shell. Today I pulled the 4.6 mod motor and put in the 36 firewall and 39 flat head. I wanted to wait for the firewall so I could set placement of the motor so the stock throttle linkage would snap in place. This told me that the motor to firewall placement was good.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

Attached Files:

• a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      File size:
      58.7 KB
      Views:
    • a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • a3.jpg
      a3.jpg
      File size:
      70.2 KB
      Views:
    • a4.jpg
      a4.jpg
      File size:
      55.2 KB
      Views:
    • a5.jpg
      a5.jpg
      File size:
      43.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

any progress to report? this looks to really be ado it yourself project.

5. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

What an undertaking ... good luck & I'm scribed.

PACO

6. rokcrln

rokcrln

Thanks, it's been fun but slow with everything else going on.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

Attached Files: