Register now to get rid of these ads!

Level Carburator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wolfers, May 30, 2010.

1. wolfers

wolfers

How impotant is it that your carb or fuel injection sits level in the car? If it doesn't matter what is the max number of degrees out of level that is OK? The reason I am asking is that I bought engine and trans mount from a vendor and when installed properly the engine sits about 15 Degrees out of level. Is that a problem?

2. EFI not much of a problem. Carb should be close. Two cents worth

3. madgrinder

madgrinder

Most engines aren't level.

Most intakes have an angled carb-mounting pad to compensate for the angle. How level is your carb-pad at ride-height???

4. wolfers

wolfers

I am planning on runniting a TPI unit. Now don't start screaming at me for that. I want to set one up, never did that before. But I am still curious about if a carb has to be level

5. BISHOP

BISHOP

I think 15 degrees is too much. 5 degrees is the norm. Wont matter at all with a tune port.

6. madgrinder

madgrinder

It needs to be close. Carbs need to be level for the float/needle/seat to work properly.

Also, Holleys lose fuel to the secondary jets on acceleration if the carb is tipped back too far. They make jet-extensions to cure that.

7. BISHOP

BISHOP

If you do decide to run a carb, take a carb spacer and machine 10-15 degrees off of it.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Ideally you set the engine angle by leveling the carb base on the intake manifold with the car at it's ride stance. That is the only place to check it. Don't worry about the crankshaft/driveshaft angle. If it's 15* on the carb base then you have a problem. Don't get obsessive about it but you do want it close. Cars do go up hand down hills so it does change but if it's 15* out and then you go up hill that is where the problems occur. You can get or make wedges to change the carb angle like they do on boats but that is a last resort IMHO.

I'd check the directions and your angle finder again. 15* is a lot.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

In order for a carb to meter properly it should be as close to level as possible. When out of level the fuel level in the bowl(s) is out of spec and will either flood or starve the engine. That's why the carb pad on the intake is at an angle so the crankshaft centerline can be angled down to line up with the rest of the drivetrain.

Frank

10. grslms51

grslms51
    from delaware

first off,i'm an old fart.54yo and have been racing off and on since i was 16...what i have seen ever the years is carb angles of every way you can think of and still work..i have seen tunnel rams with side ways carbs, angled completely down hill,towards the front...i drove a 1960 corvette on the back bumper in 1st and 2nd without so much as a jet extension..one of the guys at our track has an older nova with a power glide...it comes up so long he shifts it in the air,with the front wheels 2 1/2 feet in the air...road racers fuel is all over the fuel bowls in corners...my point is,it's more important to feed the carb fuel than the angle...just my 2 cents and what i have seen.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Angled spacers are pretty common for marine use, mostly to un-angle the carb back to level in the boat. You can just turn it around. A few race suppliers make them too, if you don't have access to machine tools.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just read what Tommy wrote and follow his advice. set a level the surface that the carb bolts to on the manifold and get it as close to level as you can and that should suffice.

Almost all engines are built so that they set at a bit of an angle in the chassis but the carb mounting surface sets level.

And forget that "we did this on the race car bs" that is a whole different ball game than having a smooth running ride on the street that runs great under all conditions.

05snopro440 likes this.
  13. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

oh for chrissakes,, how many street cars did you see in the 70s with the front bumper on the ground and the ass up on long shackles and the air shocks pumped so tight they didnt move?

Did everyone of those cars have shims to get the carb level?

In theory the carb should be level, in practice, it doesnt matter nearly as much as you think.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to have guys bring them things to try to get them to run right on the street. And you are correct if you don't mind a sputtering slobbering car that is balky in traffic and only runs decent at full throttle and not as well as it could then.

The man is asking how to set his car up so it will run well under all conditions so he can actually enjoy driving it without fighting with it all the time.. Tommy explained exactly how to to that and it shouldn't be all that hard to accomplish.

05snopro440 likes this.
  16. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

from my standpoint I would be much more worried about the pickup tube in the transmission than the carb being off.

Pops and his jeepin buddies put their jeeps in all kinds of odd angles up down and sideways and they still run just fine.

Some folks tend to over think things.

17. why can't you alter the mounts to get the ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION sitting "right", instead of band-aid ing the carb angle?

05snopro440 likes this.
  18. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

he's right ya know... as proof, we got these things in colorado, called.... mountains... most everything i've ever owned, carbed or injected, runs great goin up OR down these mountains... i'm not sayin dolt it on at 23 degrees but i wouldnt sweat a small angle.

19. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

You mean I cant drive up or down hills

20. JAWS

JAWS

No.

Don't do it.