Register now to get rid of these ads!

Letting the Standards slip...

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by powrshftr, Jun 12, 2017.

1. stimpy

stimpy

yea right , you write down the .com and get a hot line for this stuff ... LOL

and flat tires are not traditional as they used solid tires back in them days .. didn't they ??? :confused:;)

mrbeetle likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2

do you have picture of him not on a off topic bike?

x2

3. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

You're not even a paid up Alliance member, you have no room to bitch. Pay up or Shut up. Freeloader.IMHO.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I appreciate the support, but this site is not and never has been about me making money. It's free. And people should not feel obligated to be an Alliance Member. It's appreciated more than I can say, but it is not required in any way.

As for the topic at hand, use the report button fellas. That's what it is there for...

5. In B4 the lock...

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only a serious rock-a-silly, merkin-wearing pissclam gets called a Hairbitch (tm). You are right, info is way better than HAMB 1.0, but it was always good for a gut-laugh. Long live the cheese grater.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Max Gearhead likes this.
  7. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's a Editorial decision.........by Ryan and Moderators

8. I, too have been surprised, confused, and rather irritated at some of the decisions to whack some of my posts. I would think that the goal of a site like this is to inform/educate/help out other members who may be doing similar things on their projects, as long as the subject matter relates to cars, as long as the cars are "old". Each of us from time to time seek information or choose to share an idea to help out another hamber shouldn't be scrutinize so narrowly just because "somebody" doesn't like the wheels on the guy's car so the post gets WHACKED. As suggested above, if ya don't have any interest, skip it and move on. Sombody else may find it useful.

quick85 and BamaMav like this.
  9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If you report it - we will look at it.
    If it's OT - we will zap it.

If you keep it about Cars and interest of the HAMB Traditional ERA of Hot Rods and Custom cars from the 30's to early 60's - you have a good chance of not getting zapped.

If you make yourself the center piece more than cars, you have a good chance someone / quite a few people will report it as OT , then we have to look at it closer and again make a editorial decision to keep it or zap it.

If you start drama - it won't last long.

powrshftr, lothiandon1940 and bowie like this.
  10. WOW! A supermodified '59 Chevy-over the top body work, with an incredible paint job! Prolly has a supercharged LS under the hood! What a GREAT ride.

mrbeetle likes this.
  11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We are well aware that hot rodding was founded on the idea of making things fast no matter the means. That's how this whole thing was started. That's the basic philosophy of hot rodding. However, that's not what this site focuses on. Instead, we focus on the means guys used to do things in the golden era of hot rodding. In other words, we are focused on the traditional MEANS of hot rodding.

Now, this doesn't mean we think things like LS motors suck. Far from it... See, this isn't a personal vendetta against any one or any train of thought. This is simply an editorial decision. We like to keep things focused on the traditional.

Some people get this and reserve their traditional projects for this site. Others don't get it at all, regardless of the fact that I've tried really hard to make it clear, and think we are out to get them and their LS motors, tilt columns, etc... All I can tell you is that we have a vision for the site (traditional) and we have never tried to be a catch all for anything else.

FlyFisher, bowie, powrshftr and 2 others like this.
  13. The OP made a point about pictures being posted (same ones over and over again) with redundant comments about the content. The drag racing threads are particularly full of these posts. Yes, I can read what is painted on the car. I don't need to have it pointed out like I'm a 5 year old. In some cases it really does seem like "I don't give a shit how many times this photos has already been posted, I want to run up my post count". I don't think we need to waste band width on photos I've seen 3 or 4 times on the same thread. I've also seen guys who comment on the thread about this get flamed for their comments by others who just want to flame someone. It bothers me, but it's Ryan's board, his rules, and it's up to him to decide what's here.

powrshftr likes this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I haven't seen reposting be a gross issue really. I know we get some on the vintage drag race thread as well as the old image thread... but those have kind of taken a life of their own. In any case, reports can help on this too...

Flaming in general, however, annoys the shit out of me. I think about this a lot... I'm not really pals with people that are capable of flaming on folks on the internet. I mean, who has time for that shit? But because I don't really hang out with or know this type, I don't really understand what drives it. I was always taught to treat people decently even if I don't jive with them...

15. Seems the problem, if there is one, of redundancies in pictures and in text is that the default, when one posts anything, is to include a quote of a given post. Maybe if posters had to select the +quote button in order to include a quote we could all save time

16. Uh oh,did somebody post the "s" word? I would think that profanity would not be consistent with posting rules. .....but that's just me....

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

powrshftr and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. From the link to the rulebook "...but we don't hesitate to dump......shit-talkers".....hmmm seems fair enough

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If words like "shit" offend ya.... then man... this is the wrong forum for you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Never2low, FlyFisher, bowie and 3 others like this.
  20. Ryan, the annoying part is the reposted photos show up on the drag race, drag roadsters, and altered threads within minutes of each other. Reposts are one thing, but I don't need to see the same photo(s) on 3 different threads at the same time.

powrshftr likes this.
  21. powrshftr

powrshftr

If somebody has something to add to a photo that originally came with no background info, such as "That's the Brannan A/FX car in June/July of 65 at Bristol.He won the final vs Kelly Chadwick",or something relevant,but I agree with your previous post stating that it's pretty painful to see the same photo of the same car on three different threads,with a caption that says nothing more informative than the name that's already painted on the door.
    I think some of the guys like yourself and Don Nowell,who are a goldmine of racing history,tend to post less when the thread is clogged up with fluff like that,and that's a shame,cause you guys add so much value to this site.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. wsdad

wsdad

[QUOTE="powrshftr, post: 12095434, member: 216497" ...it's pretty painful to see the same photo of the same car on three different threads,with a caption that says nothing more informative than the name that's already painted on the door...

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.[/QUOTE]

There will be duplicate pictures without captions, and some of them will be glorious.

How can you keep from it? A person would have to look at every thread to see if someone's already posted the same picture somewhere.

The really good pictures naturally get reproduced on multiple threads, giving more people a chance to see them.

I'd rather have a picture with no information, or even useless information, than miss out on seeing it alltogether.

Some of these guys on here can't type or spell worth a darn. Or maybe their grandkids are helping them post their pictures. Some guys take a couple of hours to type a paragraph or two. Some can't see well.

Maybe they don't have time to write a blurb on every picture for our entertainment but thought the picture could be enjoyed anyway.

I think we have to put up with these and other minor annoyances. "Painful" is an exaggeration. Eliminating them would cause much bigger annoyances.

It's not like a forum is a book or a movie or a newspaper, that's been written and double checked by skilled journalists, editors and such, to ensure it reads well. It's just a bunch of unpolished, raw streams of thought, written by guys who like old cars.

And it's glorious.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Max Gearhead and Moriarity like this.
  23. The word Shit does not offend me at all. Most of us shit once or more per day. Just pointing out an inconsistency in your rules. No offense. Either specifically ban "shit-talkers", or allow any form of profanity. Just suggesting that everyone live by the same rules.

Over the years that I have been a hamber, I have had dozens if not hundreds of responses that helped me with my '49, and I can say with confidence that I have helped out dozens of builders who have had technical questions and others requests for information. My website has a statistical tracker on it that I can see every visitors reference site, how long they have spent on a page, and details of their city and even the computer or phone that accessed my site. Without exaggeration, I have had THOUSANDS of views that originated at the h.a.m.b.

Rather than everybody wasting time and effort and causing all this turmoil, how about renaming traditional customs to "pure restorations" and create three more categories : "restomods", "history/stories ", and "pictures/albums". Wouldn't that help reduce the pissing and moaning that seems to go on here?

Rather than slapping people around who simply want to build a car or have questions about how to do things that may be a little over the head of other people's technical capabilities, why not spend a few minutes and a few Mouse clicks to make everybody happy?

BamaMav likes this.
  24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback......
    Everyone does live by the same rules.
    Shit talkers get warned to cool it or they run a risk of being banned.
    Continue to shit talk that takes away from what the HAMB is all about - they will get banned.
    I can think of only a couple guys out of 250,000 that got banned this year because of shit talking.
    As far as creating more categories, you get too many and it gets diluted.
    Kind of like the classifieds - you get so specific - it dilutes the fun of the hunt.
    Bottom line - no matter what you do - you will never make everyone happy.
    So out of 250,000 plus guys and gals, a few unhappy here and there is to be expected.
    Posts get deleted - not for personal reasons but editorial reasons.
    Some will agree, some will disagree.
    Overall, the HAMB kicks ass IMHO and has been since it's creation.
    It's Ryan's website and his to do as he wishes.
    I can tell you from being on here for 16 years - he is a straight up guy.

25. I have been a member of the Hamb for 14 years and I have witnessed a couple of wholesale revamps and each and every time people complain and carp about how we need a category for this or that.

Or we need a section for off topic cars but from my point of view everything Ryan has implemented has just made the hamb easier to use and posting photo's has never been easier.

I can't imagine anything that would make the Hamb any better but I'm willing to bet Ryan is always thinking about how he can improve the site. HRP

Never2low and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Not for OT cars- that can go to one of many other sites. But, I have thought that I would enjoy a section for standard old car guy bs-ing.
    Then again, if there was that- I probably wouldn't have to leave the shop except for work or see wtf is wrong with the wifi..

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. This forum has been going down hill for years. At one time it was only traditional guys but now every trendy asshole in the world is on here driving up prices in the classifieds and putting up junk post. If we could just rewind 10 years and have the old H.A.M.B. back... Tradition over trend!

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

That's funny...
    Because to me, the "old HAMB" is Trad stuff mixed with things like Purple with his little modified Datsun, really wrong cars like the Mosquito, wicked smart and off the wall humor, endless off topic rants of somebody speaking in some weird kind of valley girl dialect (TM), tech & history on vintage Euro cars, etc, etc.

The HAMB is way more focused now.
    Probably more than it has ever been.

But with the bigger numbers we also got people with all of 20 posts & all of two weeks of participating, whining about the perceived injustice of having their Off Topic stuff disappear while other O/T stuff might linger a bit longer.
    ( some simply because it hasn't been spotted yet, some because it is grandfathered in, etc )

There was a time there were no written rules at all, and we'd ask the Users to just read for a while to get a feel for the place.
    And lots of people would.

And since I'm not currently Moderating ( I'm taking a break... ), I think I can ask to give the Mods some credit.
    It takes quite a bit of time, that they are volunteering.
    And although its gratifying in its own way, its a thankless shitty job...

Never2low and merctruck like this.
  29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've been hearing that since the 90's... If you'd like, I can give you a full refund! :)

30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Like it was 10 years ago from someone who has been a member for 8 years??

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app