Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Letting go of parts, what a shock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binkman, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now THAT was cruel. Funny as hell, but cruel ! ! !

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Parts collector are we ? :D

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hitchhiker brings up a good point . That may be the alternative to find one buyer who will buy all the parts and collections in one fell swoop. If the two parties are going to treat each other fairly so they both feel good about the deal , then it’s a win, win . I have ran into locals that would screw over their own mother for a dime , that I would rather kick in the nuts than ever talk or negotiate with.:)

4. Ziggster

Ziggster

As others have said, for folks living outside the USA, shipping costs get even more exorbitant. You have duties, brokerage fees, exchange rates, etc. I’m fortunate enough to live within 1.5 hrs of the NY border. I used to drive down to a freight forwarding company in Ogdensburg, NY and get my stuff. Way cheaper, especially when lots of companies had free shipping in the lower 48. Because of recent events, I still have a trans cooler line waiting at the freight forwarder for almost two years now, as to have them “push it North” from Ogdensburg to Ottawa cost as much as the part.

Baumi likes this.
  5. hepme

hepme

BIG thank you for that. I am totally sick of everything being blamed on "politics" or, someone else. Nobody really likes a mirror, it shows the real story.

Carter, Baumi, Max Gearhead and 2 others like this.
  6. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

Shipping is expensive!! And then we get taxed on it too.. But since most parts can only be sourced in the US there is no other way. So i think it is worth the prize.. It is what it is.
    Some people refuse to ship international sadly.

But i guess the hobby is a bit more expensive over here.. American cars here are like BMW's there... Imports and that refelcts in prices

7. I made a trip to J W Rod Garage 3 weeks ago for some parts. They are a main supplier for stamped 1932 Ford frame rails. In our conversation, I was told they had just gotten new quotes from UPS for shipping the 32 rails. Price to buy the rails are in the $750-800 range. The new shipping quote is $900, they said this could put them out of business.

8. I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SURPRISED ABOUT. WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE IS GOING UP, LIKE GAS, SHIPPING WILL FOLLOW. MY COMPANY JUST DOUBLED IT'S SHIPPING COST. AS LONG AS YOU ADD THE SHIPPING COST TO THE PRICE, WHAT'S THE DEAL? JUST TAKE YOUR STUFF TO A SWAPMEET, NEXT TIME. MOST OF THE GUYS AROUND ME WAIT TIL THE FATHERS DAY SHOW AT POMONA.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Tman likes this.
  9. AT SOME POINT YOU HAVE TO SELL THE STUFF ANYWAYS. OTHERWISE, WHY COLLECT IT AT ALL? JUST TO SAY YOU HAVE IT? I'VE KNOWN MANY GUYS WHO COLLECT OLD SPEED EQUIPMENT AND PARTS, AND WON'T PART WITH ANYTHING! WHY NOT JUST LET IT GO TO SOMEONE WHO'S TRYING TO FINISH THEIR DREAM PROJECT? ONE OF MY CLOSE BUDDIES IS JUST LIKE THAT. HE WILL NEVER FINISH THE CARS HE ALREADY HAS, AND KEEPS BUYING MORE. WHY NOT SELL OFF, FINISH THE ONES THAT MEAN THE MOST TO YOU, AND ENJOY THEM? WE DON'T GET TO GET BACK IN LINE AND DO IT DIFFERENTLY. I DECIDED LONG AGO WHAT I REALLY WANTED, GOT THOSE, AND ANYTHING ESLE COMES AND GOES...
    FYI...WHEN I SELL SOMETHING, IT'S LOCAL PICKUP OR DELIVERY, SO I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SHIPPING.

Carter, BigDogSS, lumpy 63 and 3 others like this.
  10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I've gotten very familiar with what will and will not fit into a USPS flat rate box.. Large items like a dash, that's tough.

A lot of the time I will offer to hold the item for pick up if someone is coming to my area for a show in the near-ish future, or to deliver it in person to an event we're both going to. Two years ago at Bonneville I delivered a literal truck load of parts to guys.

There are also hot rodders criss-crossing the country on any given day and lots of them are willing to haul mid-sized items for a reasonable fee if its along their route. I see postings here and on Instagram pretty often offering that. Of course all of this requires a level of trust, but in certain situations it can work out well. None of it is easy, but if you want to sell things off, sometimes you have to get creative.

F7CEC257-8FA5-422F-AB39-44F66697D47D.jpeg
    ironandsteele.com​

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

UPS stores are not my choice! I've had nothing but bad luck and price gouging from them. I sent some parts back to Speedway in the same boxes they came to me in, and the local UPS Store told me they wouldn't insure them unless they packed the parts! And they wanted $119 to ship them back!
    I left and went to the UPS main distribution center and they accepted and insured them for $74 and not issues with the original packing.

olscrounger likes this.
  12. I sell the stuff and ship all over the world.

Carter, uncle buck, BigDogSS and 5 others like this.
  13. Just shipped OT parts in a Medium sized box today. Too long for USPS Priority. I was quoted 22.50 by a specialty shipper and decided to look around. I pulled up Fedex online and printed a label for $15 and dropped it off at our locally owned shipping store. You had to be careful which option you chose however. The options on their site ranged from 15-150!

14. Always check to see if Summit has the same parts they ship to Canada for free over $299. Speedway is the biggest scam for shipping to Canada that I have found. There prices are sometimes slightly more but never anywhere near as much as what Speedway gouges for shipping.

Beanscoot and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. gene-koning

gene-koning

I would guess that if you don't like the cost of shipping, maybe you could deliver the parts yourself...

Road trip!
    Gas, food, time, possible hotel, tolls? How does that shipping cost look now?

Carter and Tman like this.
  16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yup , shipping has doubled in 2 years..flat rate is best because it can be heavy and set price...large items are nuts...we subsidize amazon...go figure..

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife sells a lot of stuff and ships it. She discovered "pirateship" shipping, and it is a site that compares rates, chooses the cheapest, and BOOM, you print the shipping label and pay them. I've used it a few times, and it really is the cheapest thing I've found when it comes to shipping stuff. I've not shipped anything over 10 lbs, but you might want to look into it.

Their home page says this on it: Save up to 89% off USPS® rates and 76% off UPS® rates with instant access and no monthly fees, markup, or hidden costs.

www.pirateship.com

Budget36, Bluefox and MCjim like this.
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Actually lumber has dropped way down, under half of what it was last year.

19. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Freight being more than the parts is not at all uncommon when we from New Zealand buy from you in the USA.

Now last year, I bought two narrow whitewalls from an importer down here, paying an extra $90 to have them flown out rather than palletised, containerised and sitting in the harbour in a ship. The air service was a monthly thing so I had to wait another three weeks to hook up with it.

Well it still took three months to get here. The importer assured me my tyres were on the plane, and I assured him the plane cant fly for a month without refueling, so we needed him to report a plane down in the Pacific.

He didnt think I was even a half good comedian. And six weeks later, my tyres arrived and I had them picked up. Had to pay the balance of the freight and purchase price (NZ$700) before uplifting them, and then when my credit card bill arrived, they had charged that $700 as well. So I made a call and got a refund.

So two BFG Silvertown 195/75/15s took 3 months to get here, and cost about NZ$1000 (US$700) for the pair.

I reckon you guys are still doing okay.

Rckt98 and milwscruffy like this.
  20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe :)

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got accounts set up with both UPS and FEDEX. I used to just drop pre labeled packages at my friend's store in town for UPS to pickup when they picked up what he shipped.
    I used to be able to run either to their local DC when I went to work and drop it off but now it is a special trip. Bigger items, Fedex freight has worked for me but I haven't checked prices lately.
    I use the USPS priority mail quite a bit when shipping stuff that fits in the box because it is simple and because the buyer can tell that my shipping prices are honest.
    I have found with USPS that if you have a larger package you had best go to the post office and get a real quote for shipping as guessing will get you burned all too quick.

22. Fordors

Fordors

Try the online USPS Postage Calculator and follow the steps to get a correct quote on items being shipped in random sized or shaped packages. I do that regularly and print my postage at home, then just drop it off on the counter at my PO, no waiting in line and no other contact except a wave when an employee makes eye contact.

53ADD8D0-366C-490B-B61F-B7CB410DE84B.jpeg

The screen shot shows the quote I sent to a buyer in the Niagara Falls, Canada area. There were two options, 3-5 or 6-8 days.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  23. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I have accounts with UPS, FedEx and USPS. I prepackage and weigh boxes then shop which service is the cheaper. I then print label and drop off package which usually avoids waiting in line if package is ready to go. Shipping companies are feeling the pain of high fuel prices which has driven up their operating costs the same for all of us.

Carter, Tman and olscrounger like this.
  24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Have an auction. You can charge for lunch also.:D

tractorguy likes this.
  25. fuzzface

fuzzface

"Actually lumber has dropped way down, under half of what it was last year."

I was going to post the same thing when I saw this but then I checked it again and it is on its way up again at least around here.

I wanted to do a small repair job and priced the lumber out and it was just shy of $200 last summer. Never got to it and I saw online how lumber dropped and checked it 2 weeks ago. yep, the lumber would only cost me around $68. Last week checked, the treated stuff I wanted was still the same price but the other lumber did drop again a little. Decided to wait another week seeing they had over 500 pieces in stock and recheck prices. This week they have nothing in stock and the closest yard by me that has any is over an hour away and they have only 1 piece so most likely it is scrap. If I could get the wood this week it would cost me around $125. Still cheaper than last year but almost double from last week.

I waited too long, I knew I should have brought it 2 weeks ago when I saw that price but was waiting to double or triple up my trip in that direction with the price of gas now.

Friend got a shipping quote for an oversize load (combine) from southern Wi. to Ky. Last year his quote was $3500, he just called me 2 days ago his new quote for this year is $5850.

ever price out a shipping container? they are no longer cheap.

Seems everything is on the rise and at a fairly fast pace lately. I was surprised when I saw lumber dropped but missed the boat on that one. when you see a deal, you need to snap it up because next week it might not be there.

only thing I see dropping like a rock here is scrap metal. copper is going back up but regular scrap steel is dropping fast as the gas/diesel climb.

tractorguy likes this.
  26. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

You can donate them to me.... ill bring a truck to save on shipping

27. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I sell a few things occasionally, and just tried this with a 22 pound box, definitely will use again.
    More on some UPS stores; had package with prepaid label printed and attached, went to drop at store...clown wanted to charge five dollars for that.

28. Garpo

Garpo

Just landed a small bubble wrap packet from CW Mos, weight 2lb. freight cost via ups was $120.00.
    As a comparison, a box of motorcycle parts ex a big dealer in Europe (CMS.NL)was shipped via Fedex for 13 Euro. There is not much consistency. Some suppliers have obviously done freight contracts with their shippers, a few pass on the savings. Very important from this end of the planet.

29. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Honestly should maybe just hang on to what we have. It's not growing on trees anymore and it seems like every time I sell something of value I need it two months later. Craigslist has totally dried up and I really miss the days of real classified ads and the auto trader.

williebill, X-cpe and olscrounger like this.
  30. fuzzface

fuzzface

"Craigslist has totally dried up"

I agree. I just told the wife I haven't even had a scammer try to contact me thru my cl ads.

Budget36 and olscrounger like this.