Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lettering the Koopmeiners & Sons 55 chevy gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Hello everybody, I felt compelled to share my documentation of the lettering I did on Falfasnightmare's 55 chevy. It's a 301 powered, 4 speed crash box drag machine.

I'm long overdue posting this, since it was finished around the 1st of July this year in time for the 2nd annual Meltdown Drags. This is the second 55 I lettered for Eric.

This car has drag history. Maybe Eric will chime in to tell the story, and hopefully with some old photos?... Eric restored/built the car without knowing the previous history, which was discovered after finishing the car and racing it. He came to me with a desire to replace the decals with an era correct lettering job, without changing the look of the car.

Here are the before pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first step was to create a new skull which had more of a realistic 60s feel, much like Roth's "Death before dishonor" decal. Eric wanted the skull to look mean, so I did my best to create a more aggressive one with the same feel vintage feel. I created a simple template to use a baseline in order to make each side identical. The templates main purpose is for a reference. The final painting in all free hand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On to removing the decals and cleaning the surface.
    [​IMG]

Once it was cleaned, I laid out each side with an ultrafine orange pen. Something to keep in mind when using pens, they will sometimes bleed through the lettering enamel or effect the curing process. Too much pen can result in a headache.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After laying out the image on both doors, I proceeded to lay the silver leaf for the inner stripe of the Iron Cross. I then engine turned the silver leaf (1st attemp at engine turning).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the second door...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

After finishing the silver leaf, I began gilding the letters in copper leaf. I changed the font to a more appropriate German styled font.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a few days of work, the leafing was finished. To put it into perspective, to get to this point, I laid out the font, brushed the letters in gilding size, layed the leaf, dusted the excess leaf off, and brushed clear coat on all the leafed areas. By now I have done each letter 4 times per door.

I was ready to begin painting. I started with black, and in a short time it looked like I was finally really making some progress!
    [​IMG]

3. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I mixed a dirty yellow and painted in the skulls.
    [​IMG]

And added some detail
    [​IMG]

Driver side
    [​IMG]

4. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

FUN with Ivory.

I added some more detail to the skulls in ivory. I wasn't done with the letters yet. They all needed to be outlined.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I couple more and I'll be done boring you with pictures of the same thing.

[​IMG]

After the doors were done, I peeled off the front fender decals and painted those on too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. kustom kolors

kustom kolors

Nice job, what type of size, is it waterbased ?
    I have some gold leaf lettering to do on the old Brooklyn Heavy Duster.

7. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I tried 1-shot gilding size on this project. It is oil based. In the past, I used Rolco size. After using both, I think I prefer the Rolco. It seems to lay smoother at the right tack.

8. Nice...... That '55 is badass also. Thanks for sharing Von Hartmann

9. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Look'n good , what about a Reflex Blue pinstripe outline on the aluminum leaf cross ? just a thought.

10. slammed

slammed

11. malex:.

malex:.
    from L.A.

wow!! super clean, nice job

12. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Very nice work and the layout is perfect.

How many total hours did it take to finish.

Jimbo

13. Nice work! I really like that car.

14. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

That car looks a 100% better with hand lettering! You the MAN Von Hartmann! Kick ass job.

15. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Sweet work! Should be proud.

16. Awesome! I dig the style of lettering on that car and the car itself is incrediable! Excellent work, thanks for sharing.

17. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Improved it ten fold. Great work.

18. Nice work. Thanks for posting how you did it.

19. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

cool post! I have played around with the leaf myself, definite fun to play with. End result turned out great, good job!!

20. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Thanks guys. It took me 55 hours total. I finished it in 6 days and as a result, I had one of the worst knots ever in my neck.

21. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Since I was trying to create a vintage look, I wanted to keep the colors simple. I would say most of the lettering done on race cars in the 60s (of course there are exceptions) were done with an analogous or monochromatic color scheme... or simply colors that are close to each other (red, orange, yellow) or variations of the same color.

Attached Files:

22. billys54

billys54

23. Good to see some of the young guys keepin the art alive. Vinyl Sign work has it's place, ....... but NOT on cars like this.

I've done more freehand brush work this year than I have in a decade or more; even some gilding ........ and I'm lovin it!

VH, did you do the striping on the decklid too?

24. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

The striping was something that was already on the car. Although I also stripe.

25. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Excellent art work.

26. 1oldracer

1oldracer

I agree with Older'n dirt that it is nice to see a young person doing quality hand lettering. Keep it up, don't let this art form die!! Love the colors and the lettering style. Kool!!!! rj

27. Beautiful Job ! I've done Striping and Lettering since 1963 and it's very rewarding to see You Young guys keeping this great art alive ! beats the Hell out of Vinyl !!

28. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Looks KILLER, man! Great job, the leafing really does capture the period look and feel! My hat's off to ya for all the hard work involved in the lettering!

29. Whoa, kick ass job there VH !
    That original was pretty low rent.
    Such a nice car too.
    Really deserved the artist touch.

30. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

That just plain rocks.