Register now to get rid of these ads!

lettering a willys gasser.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Jan 14, 2013.

1. toucan

toucan
    from sc

just fell down in durl!

2. edweird

edweird

damn, it made you durl, bo!

3. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

I don't know what the hell durl is, but I just fell in it too.
    Glad you got a laugh out of it Ed.

4. One of the old Sign guys I learned from (just known as Smitty) actually did that. Back when all the farm trucks had to have the owners' names and address (City, State) on the doors, this sign painter would visit the dealerships and letter the doors as part of the "sale". He could knock out a couple of truck doors in a half hour, ....... if he didn't have anyone to chat with. There's a little berg of a town close to me named Hillview. Well, Smitty got to talkin while he was paintin and after he finished and left, the owner came to get his new truck. The drivers' side said Hillview, .... but the passenger door said Hillville. (Another little town close to the dealership is Walkerville).
    The owner of the new truck lived between the two towns and got a kick out of the 'mistake', ....... so he left it that way.

5. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

It don't get no better than that. Great job. Shame the girls down at TommyGene's don't get it.....

6. TBARA Wildchild

TBARA Wildchild

Edweird, Come on man your killing me with your avatar changing so fast!!!!!:eek::rolleyes::D I loved the Pigmy cartoon one!!!!!:D Wow you change them like underoos !!!:eek: just pulling your leg!!!:rolleyes: You are a Rembrant among pinstripers!!!!

Doug

7. cakes

cakes

looks great as usual Ed

8. edweird

edweird

just something i was thinkin about. a few yrs. back i was lettering a 33 ford coupe for bootlegger jim. i had the bootlegger painted under the side glass on each door. drivers side was finished[ but still wet] and i was doing the other side. a friend came over that has a great big belly.what does he do ? he pokes his head into the drivers side window to get a better look at the shifter. when he comes out, his [3xl] white t shirt had the bootlegger written backwards on it. boy was i pissed! he was pissed about his shirt.

9. dmc3113

dmc3113

Is the car an original gasser or a new build? Is the owner a hamb'er?

10. edweird

edweird

Its new. I dont think he's a hamber.

11. Very nice job Ed!

You have room to brag about this one.

12. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Another fine example of signwriting craftsmanship .

13. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Kick ass finished product.

14. thedreamer

thedreamer

HA! thats funny. My dad said the same thing to me after I lettered my box sides. He said "You spelled machining wrong" and I about fell over and then he started laughing.

Anyways awesome work once again Ed. I might have to make this Willys my new desk top pic.

Attached Files:

15. edweird

edweird

16. slowmotion

slowmotion

Looks awesome Ed. Always a pleasure to see a master's work!

17. edweird

edweird

thanks to all of you,

18. When Mr. Crawford lettered my roadster he told me the old school sign painters always put a mistake in kind of like a signature. Was he BSing me? Days after he was finished and gone I found a misspelling on the driver's side so subtle you have to point it out to most people. :eek:

19. I got my fingers crossed that there might be another Willy's Gasser to letter in the future!:D HRP

20. x2:D

21. jesse1980

jesse1980

22. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just the right amount, perfectly done, in all the right places. Too bad he has a closed trailer though.

23. jimstro16

jimstro16

That's incredible!

Anytime I do lettering I have to make templates due to my lack of skill. I'm no artist nor do I do for others. That's dying art with computers now doing it for us. Wish I had the ability and patience for pinstriping/ lettering like that.

24. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

That looks incredible... WOW!

Wish you were closer, I'd have ya do mine.

25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

x 3 !!!!!

26. rfraze

rfraze

That roadtrip to Oregon could be scheduled to take in some great drag racing at Woodburn (30 miles S of Portland). The AA/S cars run at the Season Opener, Oldies but Goodies (June), and Hot Rod Nationals. The last two are nostalgia events and are EXCELLENT. The Opener includes a variety of classes. Check woodburndragstrip.com and aasupercharged.net for schedules and info. You will understand why I call the AA/S cars "The Baddest of the Gassers" when you see guys like Troy Owen go 214 in a '41 Willys that looks like a '41 Willys. This class is full of current and future legends!

27. OLDTGUY

OLDTGUY

Very Nice!
    JJ