Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

the Chamberlain 8 is worth a google for the unaware ...

motoklas likes this.
  2. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

When I see your smile on your face I have the impression you are happy with your creation.
    Keep going your way.

motoklas likes this.
  3. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

===========================
    Hello, Rev. Bow!
    Chamberlain is a magnificent sport/racing car, that we discussed some time ago, but creator's life and other of his cars are too interesting to not be seen again:

https://primotipo.com/2015/07/24/chamberlain-8-by-john-medley-and-mark-bisset/

Especially that one with four-cylinder two-stroke engine - and 8 pistons. However, upper pistons were much smaller and were used more as valves, but an entire mechanism of an engine is magnificent and, even unorthodox - it works in an excellent way, in its period races and today:

In spite that neither two-stroke nor V-twin Chamberlain's sport/racers are cyclecars, it is nice to see them from time to time.
    [​IMG]
    V-twin, upper and lower photo!
    [​IMG]
    Quite difficult to make a replica of one and even harder to buy one of them as original?

Ciao,
    Zoran

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    indestructableforce likes this.
  4. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

5. SR100

SR100

6. SR100

SR100

I couldn't find anything on this little gem, but while I searched, I found:
    Rovin.jpg
    Raoul Pegulu, Marquis de Rovin, founder of the Rovin motorcycle company, racing a 175cc cyclecar of his own design, circa 1926. This car was replaced by the 500cc Rovin-JAP Monocar. The Monocar also came in a 'Record' version. The Record came with a Cozette supercharger. I wasn't able to find a photo of the Record engine compartment. I'm curious how he overcame the limitations of a supercharger on a single cylinder engine.
    Pegulu opened a sports car dealership in Paris in the 1930s. After the war, Pegulu & his brother produced the Rovin D series microcars in the former Delaunay-Belleville factory:
    Rovin-D2.jpg D2

The Viratelle, built in Lyon:
    Viratelle.jpg
    Viratelle-r.jpg
    Viratelle-f.jpg

And my favorite, built for Sir Channing Wills by W.H Jones out of a Bleriot fuselage and a motorcycle engine:
    Wills-Jones.jpg
    Jones claimed it was comfortable over rough terrain. He built at least two more cars, but neither was quite as distinctive as this one.

Kume, Rolfzoller and motoklas like this.
  7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

DOES THAT MEAN HE DESTROYED TWO OTHER BLERIOT AIRCRAFT????

The37Kid likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe they wrecked before they got to the Channel. Bob

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THIS AIRFRAME LOOKS PRETTY "CRASH FREE"
    THE ANZANI 3 IS THE FIRST THING TO THE ACCIDENT UNFORTUNATELY

10. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

HELLO,
    A MAJORITY OF STATES READY FOR THE GREAT WAR (THE FIRST WOLRD WAR), EQUIPPED THIER AVIATION FORCES BY BLERIOT MONOPLANES, FROM PERIOD OF 1910-11 UP TO 1914-15...
    [​IMG]
    EVEN SMALL AN POOR SERBIA HAD A FEW BOUGHT, BESIDE A FEW FARMAN BIPLANES...
    NAME "ОЛУЈ" - (AT LATINIC ALPHABET "OLUJ") IS THE NAME OF OLD-SLAVIC GOD FROM PAGANICE TIMES.
    HE WAS "IN A CHARGE" FOR THUNDERSTORMS, LIGHTINGS, HEAVY RAINS, ICE AND SNOW - AND EVERYTHING BAD THAT COULD COME FOM THE SKY...

AS BLERIOT MONOPLANES SOON BECOME OBSOLETE - THEY WERE WITHDRAWN FROM THE FRONT LINES EVERYWHERE, SO AFTER 1918, THEY COULD BE FOUND IN THOSUANDS ABOUNDED AROUND AIRFIELDS OR DERLICTED HANGARS...

[​IMG]

THEREFORE, SUCH UNUSUAL CYCLECAR COULD BE NEW LIFE FOR BLERIOT FUSLAGE?
    THEY WERE NOT OF ANY HISTROICAL IMPORANTCE THOSE DAYS - JUST OLD, UNNECESSARY AND USELESS AEROPLANES...

CIAO,
    ZORAN

The37Kid and Rolfzoller like this.
  11. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

===========================
    Hello SR,
    Quite interesting stories and nice photos about rare, less-known cyclecars!
    Bleriot fuselage had steerable front/main wheel, well suspended on bungee-cords!

Touching is a fact how one Marquis and one Sir didn't have vanity and dare to design and use quite unorthodox, but simple and cheap automobiles!

Ciao,
    Zoran

12. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

P.S:
    Viratelle cyclecar - a few more photos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and, Viratelle bicycle and motrocycle :
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... and, Viratelle factory:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

banjeaux bob and Rolfzoller like this.
  13. SR100

SR100

REST EASY, BLUTO, HE ONLY DESTROYED SIR CHANNING WILLS' BLERIOT. HERE IS THE 2ND CAR:
    Jones_2.jpg

THE PHOTOGRAPH OF THE 3RD CAR IS NOT ONLINE, BUT PER THE DESCRIPTION, IT WAS MADE FROM PIECES OF THE 1ST:
    "THE FRONT WHEELS, STEERING & SEAT IS TAKEN FROM NO. 1 CAR BUILT IN 1911, THE REAR AXLE & WHEELS ARE FROM AN OLD 'BE LION' CHAIN DRIVEN CAR, THE ENGINE IS A TWIN AIRCOOLED "'F. V." MOTOR CYCLE ENGINE, MOUNTED IN LINE FORWARD TO CENTRE OF AXLE. THE FRONT AND REAR WHEELS ARE COUPLED TOGETHER BY ONE MEMBER ONLY, WHICH SUPPORTS THE SEAT, FUEL TANK, AND ENGINE. THIS CHASSIS MEMBER IS AN OLD GATE PORT CASING AND WHEN LIFTED ONTO SUPPORT BRACKET, WHICH IS SEEN AT REAR OF SEAT, LIFTS REAR WHEEL CLEAR OFF THE GROUND."

14. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

"... Raoul Pegulu, Marquis de Rovin, founder of the Rovin motorcycle company, racing a 175cc cyclecar of his own design, circa 1926. This car was replaced by the 500cc Rovin-JAP Monocar. The Monocar also came in a 'Record' version. The Record came with a Cozette supercharger. I wasn't able to find a photo of the Record engine compartment. I'm curious how he overcame the limitations of a supercharger on a single cylinder engine ..."
    =========================================

[​IMG]

upload_2018-2-28_15-21-43.jpeg

upload_2018-2-28_15-22-0.jpeg

Hello,
    There are a lot of photos with Rovin 500cc JAP Monocar, couldn't be sure for model "Record", but not one clear photo of an engine?
    In articles from a period, I couldn't find any mention of the supercharger (compressor) - just COZETTE carburettor!
    Therefore, maybe Rovin racer didn't have any supercharger - just "standard" JAP 500 cc single-cylinder racing engine, mostly used for speedway motorcycle races... That could explain the absence of problems with the use of supercharger with single-cylinder four-stroke engines?

However, an interesting issue for further searching...

Ciao,
    Zoran
    P.S.: Could that be chain/belt transmission to the rear wheels or that are trailing arms of suspension?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Rolfzoller likes this.
  15. SR100

SR100

The reference to the supercharger on the Record model came in the Prix section of the advertisement below:
    Rovin_500.jpg
    It is of course possible that no cars were actually fitted with superchargers.
    One other intriguing note, the caption to the upper photo (below) describes Rovin entering a race with a 750cc version. This may be an error, though, the sub-editor may have assumed that since the car won the 750cc class, that it had a 750cc engine. CHATEAUT.jpg
    The lower photo shows Rovin & his teammate Dhome with the Nashes they drove in the 1930 Tour de France. Both completed the tour without penalty and earned gold medals.

motoklas and Rolfzoller like this.
  16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Rolfzoller and motoklas like this.
  17. SR100

SR100

The Rovin D1 looks like a slightly fatter Kleinschnittger.

18. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

BNC Monza 527 28471894_1805148966175164_1965860239945236480_n.jpg

Kume, SR100 and Rolfzoller like this.
  19. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

28471198_1614560871913553_7075510488232313280_n.jpg Marc pic. ...

Kume, SR100 and Rolfzoller like this.
  20. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

========================
    Hello, SR!
    Thank you for clarification about classic Rovin's engines with a compressor! Didn't notice that.
    Later micro-cars were cute, too.
    Thank's Bluto for posting information about the selling of a couple.
    Looking relatively cheap and practical oldtimers to have and drive around...
    Even the last D-4 model was cute:

...or, older D-2:

Unfortunately - not for me in this round...

Ciao,
    Zoran

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

GUYS

ALL THESE LITTLE CARS ARE A HOOT! THEY DON'T ALL HAVE TO BE RACERS.....

22. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

BLUTO, YOU ARE QUITE RIGHT, BUT...
    A FEW DECADES AGO, WE WERE USUALLY GO TO HUNGARY TO BUY CHEAP AND EXCELLENT FOOD...
    ONCE, AT ONE FLEA MARKET, I SAW A GUY FROM CZECHOSLOVAKIA SELLING SOMETHING AND STANDING BESIDE HIS VELOREX OSCAR 350!
    FOR THE FIRST TIME I SAW IT IN REAL...
    MORE AS A JOKE, I ASKED HIM HOW VELOREX WOULD COST DELIVERED TO BELGRADE (OLD YUGOSLAVIA).
    HE SAID SERIOUSLY: A DINNER, PLACE FOR ONE-NIGHT SLEEP AND A TRAIN TICKET FROM BELGRADE TO PRAGUE + 350$$$...
    BESIDE PROBLEMS WITH lEGALISATION OF SUCH STRANGE VEHICLE (I HAD SOME CUNNING IDEAS, ILLEGAL BUT NOT IMMORAL) - MY WIFE SHOULD KILL ME!
    --- ---
    SOME YEARS AFTER THAT, AT BELGRADE'S PERIPHERY I FOUND OLD MAN WORKING SOMETHING AROUND HIS DARK-BLUE BMW ISETTA...
    IT WAS HIS FIRST "AUTO" AND THE LAST ONE AS HE SAID...
    HIS KIDS WERE ASHAMED OF HIM AND HIS "AUTO", REQUESTING FROM HIM TO LIQUIDATED IT.
    HE COULDN'T SELL IT FOR ANY SMALL MONEY AND WAS SORRY TO LEFT IT TO JUNK-YARD.
    HE HAD A SECRET PLAN TO BUY OLD TRBANT AND TO DRIVE REAL "LIMOUSINE"...
    IN SPITE THAT I HAD GOOD TRABANT, I WOULDN'T MAKE A CHANGE FOR ISETTA, BUT HAVE ONE OLDER THAT HE WOULD ACCEPT...
    SORRY, I SAID, BUT MY FAMILY WOULD BE ASHAMED OF IT WATCHING IT PARKED IN FRONT OF BUILDING WHERE WE LIVED (DIDN'T HAVE GARAGE TO HIDE ISETTA)...
    --- ---
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/goggomobil/ts400/2073841.html
    https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/cars/search/nsu
    https://www.classicdriver.com/en/cars/bmw/700?make=1&model=1276&search_type=advanced&page=1
    WITH EITHER OF MICRO-CARS, I WOULD BE RICH TODAY, WITH A POSSIBILITY TO BUY SOME GOGGOMOBILE OR NSU PRINZ, TOO - EVEN BETTER BMW 700.
    THERE WERE A FEW CUTE COUPÉS OF EITHER OF THEM IN BELGRADE IN THE SAME PERIOD.
    THEY WOULD BE MORE FAMILY AND SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE...

CIAO,
    ZORAN

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

MY FRIEND

MOST OF MY LIFE I HAD NO FAMILY... 15 YEARS AGO I MARRIED A LADY THE LIKED ALL MACHINES AND WAS NOT ASHAMED TO BE SEEN WITH ME!

I REMEMBER A BMW 700 LEFT FOR JUNK IN A PARKING LOT IN WARSAW
    AND A WARTIME VW JUST PARKED ON A STREET THERE. I SAW IT PARKED ALL OVER THAT TOWN BUT COULDN'T FIND THE OWNER.

motoklas likes this.
  24. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

THE VERY FIRST QUESTION MY FAMILY ASKS WHEN I TELL THEM I HAVE ACQUIRED A NEW CAR IS "DOES IT RUN?". I HAVE BROUGHT SO MUCH "STUFF" HOME THROUGH THE YEARS NONE OF IT EMBARRASS THEM ANYMORE.THEY HAVE COME TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT SOME OF IT IS ACTUALLY VALUABLE.I SUPPOSE THAT REVELATION CAME AFTER FOLKS KNOCKED ON THE DOOR ENOUGH ASKING IF ANY OF IT WAS FOR SALE.

Kume and motoklas like this.
  25. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

WELL SAID, BOB!
    ... AND, QUITE TRUE AND PRACTICAL APPROACH FOR ANYBODY WHO HAS UNUSUAL HOBBY (USLES!), ESPECIALLY CONNECTED TO "OLD STUFF", OR INDUSTRIAL ARCHEOLOGY AS BLUTO CALLS IT!

OFTEN, SUCH HOBBY APPEARED AS USEFUL, NOT ONLY FOR OUR MENTAL HEALTH, BUT FOR MATERIAL HEALTH, TOO...
    IT NEEDS TIME, DEDICATION, PASSION AND PATIENCE, SOME MATERIAL CONDITIONS, TOO.
    UNFORTUNATELY, I DIDN'T HAVE ANY OF NEEDED CONDITIONS FOR MAKING ANY SERIOUS, EVEN SMALL COLLECTION OF "USELESS OLD GARBAGE".

I KNOW A MAN, MY OLD FRIEND IN SERBIA, WHO STARTED MODESTLY 5 DECADES AGO AND NOW IS CO-OWNER OF BELGRADE AUTOMOBILE MUSEUM!
    CITY GAVE HIM SPACE (BIG OLD GARAGE IN THE CENTRE OF BELGRADE) AND HE GAVE HIS AUTOMOBILES, MOTORCYCLES, BOOKS, AND ARTEFACTS CONNECTED TO SERBIAN OR INTERNATIONAL INDUSTRIAL HISTORY, MOTORISATION...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NOW, I HAVE UNDERSTANDING AND SUPPORTING WIFE, BUT THAT IS ALL OF THE CONDITIONS!

OF COURSE, I HAVE THIS H.A.M.B. FORUM AND SOME OTHER TOO, BESIDE INTERESTING INTERNET-FRIENDS...

CIAO,
    ZORAN
    P.S.: IF SOMEBODY IS CONFUSED WHY WE SOMETIME USE BIG CAPITAL LETTERS - THAT IS FOR BLUTO TO READ OUR POST EASILY!

Jiminy and banjeaux bob like this.
  26. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THANK YOU GUYS... SORRY I AM DOWN TO 40% VISION AND SOMETIMES FAR WORSE.

27. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

ALTHOUGH NO ONE OWNS OR MODERATES THIS THREAD... OUT OF RESPECT FOR OUR FRIEND WE SHOULD ENDEAVOR TO USE ALL CAPS.

28. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

AGAIN THANK YOU .... BUT IT'S MY PROBLEM. THIS ISN'T GOING TO GET BETTER. DEALING WITH THE WORK-AROUNDS IS JUST PART OF LIFE. AND HONESTLY I'M JUST HAPPY TO BE HERE...... EVERYDAY.
    PLEASE JUST CARRY-ON AS YOU WERE. I'LL KEEP UP. LIFE IS A SERIES OF TESTS.

town sedan likes this.
  29. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

30. fredvv44

fredvv44

Tallahassee, Fl. Car Museum. Car also from Wisconsin, built in '47.

Attached Files: