Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. fredvv44

fredvv44

I really love this project and it is coming along nicely. Keep it up Ade.

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

All of those little things take forever. It has always seemed to me that the last 10% takes 75% of the time.:rolleyes:

3. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ... and sometimes quite infinitive time!
    Not to mention costs - they go by hyperbolic path up!
    --------------------------------------

Ade,
    You build wonderful masterpiece, great proof that cycle-cars can be magnificent! I am delighted by patina that you gave to many parts and components - much better than so-called "conquers d' elegance" style (mostly over-styled and over-chromed). What you would do if your Jappic become better than original with performances and style?
    I am sure that a lot of members here follow your project with joy and happiness... Of course, many of us would like to build on cycle-car by ourselves, but simpler of course! As I know, some are building them now?

Regards,
    Zoran

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  4. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

------------------------------------
    Chris,
    I think that all Simca-5 had so-called quarter-elliptic leaf-springs, the same as the first series of Topolino Model-A. That means that half of the leaf spring goes from chassis back up to rear axle and there is cut. Something that had Peugeot quadricycle and Citroen 5CV ...
    Some photos are attached as illustration (mentioned LeMans Berlinetta)
    Zoran

Attached Files:

5. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

... later production of Topolino Model-A, B and C had half-elliptic leaf-springs with rear axle at the middle of leaf bow. Something heavier (more expensive too), but better keeps axle at place if there are not additional rods.
    Some photos are attached as illustration.

Zoran

Attached Files:

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Of interest to many of you I'm sure, I recorded an episode of the BBC program Father Brown on PBS last night because there was mention of a hill climb in show's description. Low and behold the first 15 minutes is filled with vintage racers, though I didn't see any cycle cars. It was shot on location at a hill climb venue I recognized from many photos and videos posted here, but can't remember the name at this moment. If you haven't seen it, it's well worth your while, silly plot aside. You can find the air dates by going to www.PBS.org Later, Gary

Father Brown: The Laws of Motion
    Father Brown's investigation into the death of a driver at a local hill climb track upsets Sullivan, who wants the padre's meddling to end.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  7. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello and thank yuo on input,
    but I couldn't find epizode using your web-link...
    However, I found that episode here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03q5vlj

I couldn't watch it: there is blockade for anybody from out of the UK!
    Explanation:

"The BBC uses Geo-IP technology to identify where you are, based on the location of your internet service provider (ISP). This is to ensure that only people in the UK can enjoy programmes on BBC iPlayer"
    Zoran

8. SR100

SR100

I saw a post online that said the Father Brown episode was shot at Shelsley Walsh. I didn't see enough of the site to be able to confirm it.

9. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

I have whiled away too many hours watching youtube vids of the Retro Grand Prix events held in du Puy Notre Dame France.

Loads of wheel to wheel vintage cyclecar action. There are quite a few videos; I pick the ones with the longest run times.

motoklas likes this.
  10. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

Does this count as a cycle car ? I like it anyway! Just imagine people's faces when you cross them on your way.

11. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow !Took a look at your photos,Very nice.Love your albums,your take on Drillium is over the top.Thanks for the link,keep up the great work.

12. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Talgil,
    No mater how that "unidentified riding object" could be classified - it is magnificent: for desing, construction and joy of owner/driver!
    Anyway, it could be accepted as the first hybrid cycle-car: human-power and engine-power (steam!)...

Ciao,
    Zoran

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That has to be added to my "need to build one" list! Too fricking cool!:)

14. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

---------------------------------------
    Hey Dodge,
    Do you really NEED that or just WANT ? But for us, in both cases it is the same as MUST ?
    Just take care that "freeking cool" could become "inferno hot" with all that steam behind your beack!
    Enjoy,
    Zoran

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  15. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello,

Just one short, this time personal, story about FIAT 500 Topolino... As I mentioned before, with my modest help (saved pocket money), my brother bought FIAT 500 c Topolino Belvedere – just to have “wheels” for graduation year in Belgrade's Secondary Mechanical-technical School. That was in 1967/68... Our father didn't want to give him our FIAT 600 d – professor could be jealous, minority had any auto at all! So, we repair it and he often went to school driving that car – not usual in those times at all. Just one more student between hundreds of them, practiced that, driving his father's FIAT 1300 – making jealous warden of school. Then he crashed one day in the centre of Belgrade – into city bus (brakes failed). So, I suggested to him that we could make something special of it, with new body and more powerful engine and so on... We didn't know for hot-rods, street-rods, customs – but, something like that in mini-scale... he wasn't interested- rushing to repair ti for the end of school and graduation! So, he did it in great scale, in spite that auto was old and small, but was his – painted in nice red-black combination after repair. Later, we couldn't registered it again and it finished with some gypsies and probably on junk-yard...

Many year later, my paths were crossed with another Topolino! This time with one reconstructed by my great friend Maslacak, both were members of Serbian Society of Motoring Historians... He found and later got or bought ruined and abounded Topolino Model-C, up to half in mud. I saw it a few times from the bus, laying in mud beside periphery road – and later reconstructed. He spent a few years a lot of work and money, with a lot of help from friends from back-yard garages and machine-shops. He didn't managed to finish everything inside, but was present at few old-timers-shows. As he became seriously ill and money-less (that often goes together), he gave Topolino to Belgrade Automobile Museum, where it is still... Photos are attached.

When he recovered (for short time), we made plans to build some special on Topolino basis, in a style of small Bugatti T-68, that Ettore designed and built in Paris during occupation of France. Topolino chassis would be wonderful for that goal – and, I had one! He had all literature, experience, a lot of components and parts, some helpful friends - and I had big back-yard for work... Unfortunately, his illness returned and he died. Everything that he collect – simply disappeared after his death. So, I stay with chassis and good engine and gear-box, that collected in meantime, and with a few friends that could help to build one modest special... Replica of Bugatti T-68 was put on a side, without my friend I didn't have anymore power to do that. Then, I moved here to Swiss and forgot on such plans... Everything that I had, maybe is still in my old back-yard. Maybe waiting for next time...

Ciao,
    Zoran

Attached Files:

Stevie G likes this.
  16. charlesf

charlesf

My modified project is certainly not a cycle car, but is inspired by GN, FN, HRG, and Harry Miller. Note the eight spring suspension. IMG_3929.JPG IMG_3930.JPG IMG_3924.JPG

motoklas likes this.
  17. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Charles,
    Making replica of cycle-car is quite rare opportunity to follow!
    Ade's Jappic is above anything I saw, the same as Graftom and Charter-Lea as recreations of originals...
    I am sure that most of us will be glad to follow your excellent work on personal inspiration of more "serious" automobiles than cyclecars are!
    Please, keep us inform!

Ciao,
    Zoran

18. SR100

SR100

19. PBrown

PBrown
    from Australia

20. PBrown

PBrown
    from Australia

Zoran, Your short story is very informative and a pleasure to read, some interesting history.

motoklas likes this.
  21. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you, Brown!

It was more MYstory than HIstory, but could show some passed times in one now forgotten country... To have own cars in late sixties was quite extraordinary things in former Yugoslavia, even in city of Belgrade... No mater that our “wheels” were old and small... We didn't need money for gasoline, always were a few fellows who would invest their pocket-money for cruising around...

Zoran

22. charlesf

charlesf

The engine is a 2.5 liter four cylinder from an S10 pickup, with T5 trans. It has a reground cam, custom built exhaust, and dual one barrel carbs on a modified manifold. Oh, and I dressed it up to look like a hotted up banger.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    motoklas likes this.
  23. SR100

SR100

Cool. I've always dug the four cylinder era of dry lakes racing.

24. chrisp

chrisp

Some interesting stuff at the Reims show and swap meet from this week end.
    [​IMG]

from the swap area 2 unidentified cycle car frame, one has a single sprocket in the middle of the rear axle, the other 1 on each end of the rear axle, the seller was a real dick...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was this gorgeous boat tail also in an other area, it's roughly 1/2 scale, it was a graduation project from a student, I didn't see any evidence of any weld except for the junction of the rear and bottom of the tail, it seems it was build from a single sheet of steel, firewall and subrails copper riveted flush, all the edges have a rolled wire, it could be used as a single seater cycle car with that grille sitting below it.
    [​IMG]

a row of MG
    [​IMG]

Salmson
    [​IMG]

Amilcar
    [​IMG]

Then these 2 were described as cycle cars, I don't remember the brands I never heard of before... Names are on the grilles if you can figure them out.
    [​IMG]

I remember this one has a 750cc overhead cam engine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    motoklas likes this.
  25. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello Chris,

Thank you on interesting information and nice photos!

Similar old-timer show and swap-meet we had in nearby town of Fribourg and next jubilant 40th will be this year for weekend of 21/22 March...

Sellers of old "junk" are often similar to one that you described: mostly couldn't know what they are selling but ask high prices - combination of arrogance and ignorance!

That old rusted tubular chassis could be interesting for me: a base for some kind of DIY light auto – free interpretation of cycle-car...

Ciao, Zoran

Attached Files:

26. eeldridge

eeldridge
    from France

Hello everyone.

I have not been on the forum for a while, but i wondered if any of you might be interested in helping me solve a mystery.

I was invited to have a look at a car that has some very strange chassis castings, and I was hoping that with the vast knowledge lurking on this forum, someone might have some ideas about this.

The castings do not belong on this car! Currently its is AC powered.

The nearside casting holds the steering box.
    [​IMG]

Offside
    [​IMG]

Both castings then move backwards under the scuttle. Nearside holds the steering column, whilst the offside has the hand pump attached to it.
    [​IMG]

I do have some knowledge of the car, and can post more information, but not to cloud the subject, I was hoping that someone might have some ideas about these strange castings.

Thanks in advance!

(p.s. - if this is not the correct forum, please let me know.)

27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

No ideas on that one, but I'm hoping that the castings are at least made of aluminum and not cast iron. It does seem a bit over engineered. More like something you would see on a steamship. o_O

28. eeldridge

eeldridge
    from France

Well, having had a little scratch,! the castings would appear to be either aluminium or magnesium.

HSVXU6 likes this.
  29. chrisp

chrisp

Rolls Royce was using aluminum castings in the 20's and early 30's for their firewall and other parts, but no clue if that would be from one. I believe Lagonda and Daimler did too.