Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Kume

Kume

I am rather taken by this chassis. Any guesses. Clues = sheep

Attached Files:

2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Wolseley? They began as the Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machine Company.

I see quarter-elliptics all round; a "divorced" gearbox and mechanical brakes on the rear only, which suggests a Vintage manufacture; but a deep, upswept frame with a definite forward taper, which suggests a later date. The wheels could accordingly be wood or pressed steel. On balance I'd put it at 1923.

In all, it does have a pleasing rightness.

3. Kume

Kume

Bang on Ned. Has a nice wee 10hp overhead cam 1200cc motor apparently influenced by Hispano Suiza aero engine which Wolseley made during the war. Despite this influnece it was abit of a slug . I think the 10hp was made from 1920 to 1923 . There was a 15hp version. I cant find much more about them despite having the remain of one in my basement for some years. I recently saw the one pictured which has inspired me to drag mine out and maybe make a special as I have no body for it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  4. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416076017.413059.jpg just been sent this but despite a Google search I have failed to find any information on the streamlined car

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

From Wikipedia: (tanslation from German)
    "Devil beetles
    It all started in the mid-1920s. At that time the young Wankel built his first car in Heidelberg. The motor for his "devil beetle" he had got in a scrap dealer. But the engine rattled much too strong for the slightly-built car. How can you help? The weekly newspaper "Die Zeit" Wankel told that no longer let him this question:
    "Like many other engineers I could not accept that the reciprocating engine should be the only possible principle in internal combustion engines. Thus, the wheels turn, you have to turn the shaking reciprocating rhythm of the piston in a harmonious rotating movement. This is very cumbersome. cranks and shafts are needed, and all sorts of technical problems must be solved until the car is doing us a favor and drive. "
    -----------------

From Internet (translation from German)
    The "devil beetle" it began
    On the idea of a new motor principle Wankel was already in the twenties when he designed together with friends in a Heidelberg backyard a three-wheeled, streamlined vehicle called "devil Beetle", greatly trembled, however, wiggling when the gasoline engine was running. Wankel was a much quieter engine, began to tinker, to draw and came up with the idea with the rotary valve control, which should allow an engine without connecting rods, valves and camshaft. He built a rotary engine, which was used as a compressor, signed a contract with BMW and was awarded 1936's Wankel experimental workshop in Lindau, where he was to develop new aircraft engines with rotary valve control on behalf of the Air Force.
    ------------------

Hello,
    maybe some of shown could be helpfull...

Ciao, Zoran

Attached Files:

6. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

7. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

8. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Love that devil beetle!
    Buck Rogers here we come!!

9. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

10. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

11. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

AV Monocar 10392381_640291492757179_6275641820360018309_n.jpg

Kume likes this.
  12. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

13. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

14. Kume

Kume

15. Kume

Kume

16. Kume

Kume

Hope this isn't OT but can anyone help identify this wee motor. Small English? 4 cylinder. Bore is 59mm , two bearing crank.
    Guesses so far include Austin & Swift - google has failed me so far

Attached Files:

17. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Kume,
    Wonderful photo of cute cyclecar!
    It seems that front suspension with transeverse leaf-spring and sliding-pillar - wasn't so rare in pioneer era of motorisation! On attached photos are ancestors of later (in)famous WARTBURG!

Ciao, Zoran

Attached Files:

18. Kume

Kume

Yes The Sizaire Naudin has always fascinated me. Sliding Pillar seems to have been popular with early cyclecars.

Here is one I don't think we have covered before.
    The Couch made in Coventry was apparently quite an excellent cyclecar despite its bewildered expression. Had some success at Brooklands in the early 1920s with top speed of 80mph. Also renowned hill climber. 1018cc water cooled V twin set behind seat, cone clutch and final chain drive to single rear wheel.
    They also made a nice two seater in 1915 / 16 (B& W photo)
    The yellow one depicted was in the Coventry road transport Museum 30 years ago

Attached Files:

19. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

--------------------------------------------------
    Kume,
    Did I understand well: you have chassis of Wolseley in your basement? If it it so, is it complet with engine, transmission, suspension...? It would be nice to see its photos! That could be good base for classic English special!

I suppose that 10 or 15 HP isn't so weak engine, because that must be fiscal HP and real power is much more HP?
    I think that 10 HP could have more than 1,300 cc and 15 hp double that (with possibly 60 bhp)...

Ciao, Zoran

Attached Files:

20. Marticelli

Marticelli

This isn't an English engine but a circa 1912 Clement Bayard 4M2 1400cc engine. It was effectively the precursor of the Austin 7 and was very popular in preWW1 France, with its distinctive coal scuttle bonnet and two seat torpedo bodywork and large skinny 760 x 90 beaded edge tyres. I owned an unrestored example from 2003 until it was sold to help pay for the restoration of my 1909 18HP Thornycroft in 2009. Pic attached of me in it before it was sold. Still not restored it is now running very well and impressing folk with its originality...

Marticelli ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416491884.153380.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Grahamsc likes this.
  21. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

1909 18HP Thornycroft?

Attached Files:

22. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

... a pair phtos of the same modelle!
    Zoran

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  23. Kume

Kume

absolutely gorgeous - It must have been hard to part with.
    Thanks for solving the mystery - I wouldn't have thought it was 1400cc - do you have any other specs on the motor ?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  24. SR100

SR100

That wide skirt looked French to me. I would have guessed Majola Type B (59x90mm, 984cc) With a 59mm bore, a 1400cc engine would have a 128mm stroke. Not out of the range of possibility for prewar engines, but pretty remarkable. I found a similar clement-bayard engine on carandclassic.co.uk.
    [​IMG]
    It is probably newer. It has a different magneto setup & the water inlet is different (not visible in this pic.)

25. Kume

Kume

Thanks SR100
    I found these picks of a Clement Bayard motor which matches mine in all respects . I also understand that they produced an 1131cc motor which is more consistent with my bore and probable stroke (60mm x 100mm).
    Clement Bayard 007.jpg Clement Bayard 009.jpg

26. SR100

SR100

The Beaulieu Encyclopedia of the Automobile lists the larger engine at 1356cc, which would be 59 x 124mm. Do you have plans for your engine?

27. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

28. Kume

Kume

Thanks again SR100
    My old wooden ruler must have been more accurate than I thought at 59mm. I must get a copy of that book - it sounds like the bible. I was relying on an old 1964 book on French vintage cars by John Bolster. As to what plans I have for it - As I don't have any other parts for it I will see if anybody wants it in NZ I think there are about 6 Clement Bayard's down here but I am not sure what models.

29. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

... or to find some veteran car shassis and built replica, or re-creation of some bastard from the era?
    Ciao,
    Zoran

30. SR100

SR100

It is missing the lower crankcase, which holds the camshaft on that engine. Without it (or a borrowed one to copy) it will be a difficult engine to rebuild.