Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Re: Let's Talk Cyclecars

Attached Files:

2. jonnycola

jonnycola

I've got a Spacke powered Pedersen.... I'll take some pictures tonight.

3. tjm73

tjm73

4. noboD

noboD

Metalshapes, I saw that. Please buy it so I don't have to bid!! It's just ugly enough to be cute.

5. gasit

gasit
    from Dago

6. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

7. McKee

McKee

This one's frighteningly quick!

Attached Files:

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wow, apparently this is the "worst thread ever." I always figured if I got that kind of feedback it would be for an alternative energy thread! Oh well.

-Dave

9. Zerk

Zerk

Horseshit. This is a GREAT thread if you can manage to unlimber your outlook and appreciate something different.

You've posted more than your fair share of awesome threads on the HAMB. If anyone isn't into the concept of cyclecars there is always something else to see here, no need for them to be a jackass about it.

inaford30 likes this.
  10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hahaha...cyclecars....
    I just sold a VW bug to a guy that is going to use the front end for building one......

11. Fiorano

Fiorano

The old Morgans and the Baby Cup with the White tires are great

JZR, makes a great trike cycle car
    so does BRA... and the Triking

i should build one.. if i had more money and time now

12. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

[​IMG]

There is a couple outside of Austin that has one of these, extremely cool the first time I saw it at a show. Runs and drives...

13. noboD

noboD

Last time I read Pa.s inspection law it CLEARLY said no Motorcycle parts on cars and no car parts on Motorcycles. Not sure how to get away with building one. But real cyclecars like a Neracar i could get interested in. Morgans are nice too.

14. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Haynes Publishing "the Haynes Manual People "publishes a Haynes Tech Book on building a 3 wheel cycle car but as far as I know it is only being sold overseas.I have tried every Haynes dealer I know and they can't find a listing here in the US.I have contacted Haynes International and asked about buying books offered outside the US but they have not answered my Email that was more than a month ago!kind of Ironic since almost all the Haynes books are published here in the US! at least The ones for English speaking countries.
    Anyone on here a dealer for them There are several books I'd like to buy but really don't want to pay double+ tyhe price of a book because it has to come from some other country.I bet they could sell a large volume of books here on the HAMB .If anyone here can help PM me with details

15. UK Comet

UK Comet

Someone's always gotta go too far........
    [​IMG]

16. Zerk

Zerk

I've been on Google looking for pics/info on the Nardi, a small, fast sportscar with BMW 750 motor, made in the early '50s. Result: One big zero. It's like the Earth swallowed the damn things.

I bet Bluto's got pics...

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder if that Fiero is related to this one??

[​IMG]

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There really is some cool stuff in this thread! I think it would be bitchin' to build a small traditional styled single seat racer with a little V-twin or or something. I like the J.A.P. motors. Would probably have to find something like that...

Cool thread! BTTT

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This CycleKart thing is rad!
    [​IMG]

20. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I used to want a Messerschmidt KR200
    [​IMG]

21. noboD

noboD

22. damnfingers

damnfingers

The Morgan Trikes were always my favorites...

Attached Files:

23. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

NoboD has seen this one before.

When my wife and I got married we made a special trip to Reno, Nevada to see this machine...

[​IMG]

a 1920 Briggs and Stratton Flyer. My dad worked for Bill Harrah back in the 1960's and he told me about the Flyer. Melissa ( my wife) encouraged me to be build one and this is how it turned out...
    [​IMG]

The first picture above is what we built our 1920 C W Flyer from (we knew the size of the wheels so we figured a scale and used that to scale it to full size). Pretty darn close to the original. Everything on it is hand built at our shop. This was my first, I guess you might say, Hot Rod project.
    The Briggs and Stratton Flyer was originally built by A.O. Smith & Co. (believe it or not they are still in business making motors for water heaters and HVAC systems) as early as 1914-15. The concept was to promote the motorwheel, which was intended to power a bicycle (Merkle and Wall autowheel designed and started producing motorwheels in England as early as 1908 for bicycles)and ended up being marketed as cheap transportation for college students. Briggs purchased the rights for the Flyer and produced the odd ball 5 wheeled machines from 1918-25. In 1925 they sold the rights to a company called Auto Red Bug and they redesigned them for electric power. Auto Red Bug built their electric flyers through the first part of depression till the company went bankrupt in 1933 and sold the production rights to Indian Motorcycles who built them as amusement park rides in 1933 and then ceased production for lack of sales.
    [​IMG]

The Briggs & Stratton Flyer was cheap transportation (could be purchased for $125.00) very economical to run (80 miles to 1/2 gallon of gasoline) simple to work on (2 HP motor, direct drive off the camshaft in the motor, and no gears and no reverse you just lifted the wheel off the ground using the hand lever in front of the seat. To go, with the motor running you then push the lever forward which drops the motorwheel on the ground and give it throttle your nuteral is when the hand lever is pulled back which lifts the motorwheel off the ground, your motor is always running) and quite fast (between 20 to 25 mph).
    [​IMG]

This year's summer project was to switch ours from friction drive to chain drive. We are using a 5 Hp Wisconsin industrial motor and with friction drive it would eat the tires up so fast that it was not economical to run through the show season. Darned thing ended up sitting around our shop way too much for my liking!! We are not done with it, but getting close. With this gearing we can do almost 30 -35 mph...and with the 3/4 gallon tank we can almost go 70 miles on one tank of fuel. I had a smaller gear (80 tooth) on the wheel side before switching to the larger gear, shown in the picture above (now 112 tooth, There is a 15 tooth gear on the engine side) and I was followed down our rural road by a friend of mine in his pickup truck at almost 45 mph!!
    [​IMG]

I am looking for an actual A.O. Smith Motorwheel or Briggs and Stratton version if anyone knows of one available. I have a complete set of plans from A. O. Smith dated to 1918 to build an original. Which I hope to do some day. I am also looking for the electric drive-train details for the Red Bug as I would like to build one of them too. Any info would be awesome!

Thanks guys,
    Chris Becker

24. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Instead of the CYCLE cars I was thinking more of a cycle-POWERED hot rod, say a gold wing flat six in a T-bucket. Could be pretty cool and definitely different.

25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

It's weird to say, but I almost feel like a T is "too much" car for the motorcycle engines. Although perhaps not when cut down to "fighting weight." My thinking when I started this post was something exactly like the Dudley Bug. An extremely lightweight, spindly styled, four wheeler with a motorcycle engine and possibly chain drive.

Also, ironically, the T was what really killed the cyclecar in this country. It was a lot more car for not much more money. The Citroen 5CV and Austin 7 did the same thing overseas.

-Dave

26. TINGLER

TINGLER

That Briggs and Stratton Flyer replica rules!
    That post made this whole thread worth viewing I think!

My hat is off to you....that is really cool. :)

27. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

28. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

29. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

not sure if its been posted or not..(didnt take the time to read)..Liberty is hand building cycle cars with Harley V twin engines on them..very nice looking, and built well..just not cheap from what ive seen.