Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. fredvv44

fredvv44

Is this the engine in that car? I found this on google. The car looked the same except for the hub caps.

Attached Files:

2. fredvv44

fredvv44

Never mind. here is the answer. The U-16 was never built.

Attached Files:

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I heard that Bucciali built a U16 show car using 2 Continental (American made) flathead sixes and displayed it at auto shows around 1930. Years later a collector got his hands on the car and when he took the engine apart, found empty cylinder blocks stuffed with old newspapers.

Evidently the car was a mock up. Perhaps if they had gotten enough orders at the car shows they would have built them for real but the orders never materialized.

PS I wrote this before I read the description above.

4. Kume

Kume

Am looking for a well known but hard to find photo of an Austin seven neck and neck with a Bentley at Brooklands in the late 20s. Here is a contemporary version.

Attached Files:

5. I heard that there were six cars built but only one runner. A friend who was with me at Retromobile said last time he saw the pictured car it didn't have an engine and, maybe, had never run. He doubted the claimed engine was fitted - or any engine at all.

It that's true I'd love to fit a modern BMW V12 ;-)

6. av8

av8

Thank you!

Mike

7. chrisp

chrisp

That Bucciali at Retromobile is a repop on a Cord L29 chassis... The U16 chassis was never bodied. The only car that I no of with a U engine that ran was the Simca U8 proto, never made it to production.
    The blue car is a Talbot, manufacturer of high end cars and successful race cars before WWII and pos after
    No cycle cars there but gorgeous and out of reach.

8. Thanks for the information - we had a big debate at the show as to whether it was original or a copy.

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Bugatti Type 45:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

motoklas likes this.
  11. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

was unsure about Bugatti applying their U to a car; very sceptical about one being started by a crank handle ...

12. Kume

Kume

13. chrisp

chrisp

I learned something today thanks Nedd.
    @Blackjack There was a board on the wall behind the Bucciali explaining all this ... in french

14. Kume

Kume

Well that's pretty close. I may well have been thinking of the Birkin photo but I recall seeing a more impressive photo in a publication as a kid - possibly the weekly publication called 'On Four Wheels'. It had a huge impression on me at the time and accentuated the diminutive 7 against the Bentley that looks like a green (b&w) wall behind it.

Sorry for being off topic here

Attached Files:

15. Ahhh - there's my problem...

16. fredvv44

fredvv44

Can anyone give me more info on this Austin7 special? I would really like more photos of it in order to build a cyclekart based on it.
    Thanks,

Attached Files:

motoklas likes this.
  17. robbovius

robbovius

Well, studying the pictures, its got a straight I-beam front axle with dropped kingpin ends. the axle itself is suspended from beneath (that's pretty kewl!) by a transverse buggy spring, and the frioction shocks are also mounted transversely just a bit above the axle.

looks as thoguh the original austin rear live axle has been converted to run sprockets on the axle flanges, and then chain drive to the rear wheels on a straight beam axle. (the suspension method is not shown, but since A7 specials were limited to using the original A7 chassis, I am assuming that the rear suspension is the stock Austin 1/4 eliptic leafs.

that help?

18. fredvv44

fredvv44

Right, it looks like he just turned the spring shackles around to put the axle above the frame mount. Still uses the stock friction shock. Center of gravity is really low. For a cyclekart it would be great; alum. body with no compound curves.

19. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That method of suspending an Austin Seven front axle is actually quite common on single-seat racing specials.

Edit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Many axles are tubular, though, as may be seen.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  20. one armed hammer head

one armed hammer head

Something I have often wondered about on construction, especially on racing vehicles is seen in the foreground of the first picture. It is the rear of another car, but the bracketry for holding the rear spring shackles seems to be a rod that passes through the frame and out to provide a pivot point for the shackle. I've seen this on front suspensions in early Indy cars too. If it truly is a rod - is it made from steel something like 'drill rod' for strength? Anyone have knowledge about this set-up? Thanks - sorry, not trying to hi-jack thread, but saw the picture and it triggered the question - and the answer might be helpful for anyone else thinking of building their own car in the future. Jay

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

If you are referring to this picture, it looks like a rear chassis cross piece, probably of steel tube to act as the rear attach point for the spring. Just sort of a cross member that is wider than the chassis.

Attached Files:

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Basically a rear spreader bar for the frame horns that doubles as a outboard pivot allowing the shackels to pivot up, lowering the car and giving a wider spring base.

Attached Files:

23. I'd like to see a video of this car/picture in action. Any ideas, anybody?

24. fredvv44

fredvv44

Ned Ludd wrote:
    "That method of suspending an Austin Seven front axle is actually quite common on single-seat racing specials."

Thanks for that info Ned. I had thought that may be the case. I had not thought about aftermarket tubular axles though. I see the last pic shows the Austin axle being used. I googled Austin 7 specials and got an eye full. That car probably is responsible for more specials than any other make in the UK. Amazing little car.

25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The Seven was in a way the British Model T.

26. Kume

Kume

yep but if you have ever driven one you know it is more akin to a cycle car than a tractor.

27. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

That method of suspending an Austin Seven front axle is actually quite common on single-seat racing specials.

How well does this front suspension handle?

Ago

28. robbovius

robbovius

the car in your attached pic is a front-drive Miller speedway car, either a 122 or 91, circa 1925-1929.

[​IMG]

29. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'd expect it all depends on how the axle is located laterally.