Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. chrisp

chrisp

My pics from Retromobile I didn't get of a chance to visit because I was there to show off our work.
    Artcurial auction:
    [​IMG]
    Peugeot
    [​IMG]
    Patina Bug 35
    [​IMG]
    Renault
    [​IMG]
    ??
    [​IMG]
    Amilcar
    [​IMG]
    Same Derby as above
    [​IMG]
    Same GN
    [​IMG]
    Best for last
    [​IMG]

brayton engine guy likes this.
  2. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

JAP. Jean-jacques pic...

Attached Files:

3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Liliane. G.L. pic...

Attached Files:

4. Thanks for the extras AND the duplicates Bob- don't know why it didn't catch my eye last time, because that thing is gorgeous!!!

5. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Longdon JAP. G.L. pic...

Attached Files:

6. Marticelli

Marticelli

Two pictures you just reposted Bob I posted a week or two ago (#5215 and #5227). The first at #5405 above shows the AZA De Dion I found in the Mahymobile Museum in Leuze in Belgium, the only survivor and maybe the only one ever built.

The 'Longdon JAP' above is actually an Eric Longden made by retired Australian jockey Eric Logden who built cars in a first floor factory above a theatrical agency in theatreland in London under his own name from 1922 till approx 1925, although production of the later cars was by the Air Navigation and Engineering Co of Addlestone, Surrey, 3 miles from Brooklands.

This actual picture above shows Stuart Tresilian, an engineering student at Cambridge University at the time, racing his EL at a local sprint meeting, there being few hills big enough to run a hillclimb anywhere near Cambridge. This picture was passed to me by Nick Tresilian his son. EL cars were fitted with JAP and Blackburne V twins, both air and water-cooled, and latterly with 11hp Alpha and 9hp Coventry Simplex engines.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  7. Marticelli

Marticelli

Don't know who the G.L. claiming ownership of the Longdon pic in #5407 above is, but its neither his nor mine but the poperty of the son of the owner of the car as mentioned above. I asked for and was granted permission to post it on another blog, hence I felt OK about posting it here. Presumably G.L. has downloaded it from the web and is now claiming ownership. Not a very good plan if you ask me!!

Marticelli

8. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Ah,I can only post the information I was given regarding the ownership of images.If G.L. does not cite his source,neither can I. Sadly most of the image I post here would fall into that category.I do ask permission to post those images and cite MY source.

9. Marticelli

Marticelli

But who on earth is G.L.? I have no idea... Perhaps you could send me his web address so I can pursue the matter with him/her direct. Its simply not fair to download someone else's image and redescribe it as your own. Its infringement of copyright as well as misrepresentation. I was sent a scanned copy of the album original of this picrure by Stuart Tresilian's son Nick, and he agreed I could post it on the Autosport Nostalgia Forum which is probably where where G.L. has downloaded it from. If he posts it somewhere, he cannot claim its his image when its patently not!

Marticelli

10. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Attached Files:

11. sidekick

sidekick
    from Canada

Reposted on behalf of new member "Projecta":

I'm new to this forum and joined because I'm doing research about a cyclecar that was designed with prototypes built in 1914, but which never went into full production. I'd' like to learn as much as I can from anyone who might know something about this cyclecar or the cyclecar industry of that era. The designer's name was Percival White and he named the car the Projecta. White started a company in London, England, in 1914 to produce the Projecta and that is where the prototypes were built, although White was an American and returned to the US in the late 1910s. The Projecta is mentioned in one or more enclopedias of motoring but with almost no information and no photos. My interest in learning more about the car is partly motivated by the fact that I recently published a short biography of Percival White. In addition to any information specifically about the Projecta, can anyone suggest the best reading sources for information about the cyclecar industry around 1914? Thanks in advance.

12. Marticelli

Marticelli

The ultimate research resource is the magazine of the ers, which was called originally Cyclecar when launched in November 1912. It soon was expanded to include light cars and retitled Light Car and Cyclecar. There are bound volumes in several libraries in the UK, and occasional electronic excerpts in a number of digital archives which you should be able to find by searching for the title.

I will check my own library for the Projecta but its a new one on me! Good luck with your research!

Marticelli

13. fredvv44

fredvv44

[​IMG]

Now that is cyclekart material.

14. fredvv44

fredvv44

I understand your feelings but if you put something on the net it becomes free information. I agree that credit should be given but it rarely is. If someone wants to retain provenance of a picture he should print his name on the photo itself so it will show up on any reproduction. Still that does not prevent someone from cropping it out.
    Just the world we live in,

15. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

We were talking about the building that housed the Paris Salon...and now Retromobile. Here are some images used with permission by Pavel Novitski ( www.Pavelnovitski.com) from Retromobile 2014.Although they are not specifically "CYCLECAR" images,they show what a grand building it is!Oh yeah,I like these cars too.

BanjeauX Bob

Attached Files:

16. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Attached Files:

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Some more of J-J's pictures from Retromobile 2014.

Attached Files:

18. chrisp

chrisp

Retromobile is at the expo center at the Porte de Versailles, the Grand Palais is along side the Seine River and the Champs Elysee.
    The Paris Auto Show is also at the Porte de Versailles not anymore the Grand Palais since 1961.
    The beautifull glass building is the Grand Palais.
    All this to say : not Retromobile pictures.

19. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

So,are these 2 run at the same time?

20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I love the look of the weird headlight set-up, but what are the upper units? They look a bit like WWII blackout kit.
    [​IMG]

21. chrisp

chrisp

No, those pics are I believe from an exhibit called "110 years of Automobile"
    The Tour Auto starts from there since last year and Bonhams auctions there too. There will be a Ferrari exhibit this year in the Grand Palais.

22. SR100

SR100

These are from the Bonhams auction: Le Grandes Marques du Monde au Grand Palais. The motorcycle in photo # 2, a c.1930 Majestic 500cc with Bernardet Sidecar,was lot #208, but the website did not list whether it had sold, or what it sold for.

23. Went to both of these last week - had a good time in Paris too.

Retromobile was much better this year than in previous years - perhaps because of the involvement of the big auction houses.

After Retromobile we went on to Reims to visit a favourite champagne house. We also went to the excellent Reims Motor Museum - it has a very good selection of cyclecars;

[​IMG]

http://www.musee-automobile-reims-champagne.com

24. fredvv44

fredvv44

Bonham's auctioned a Shell Oil sign for $11,623.00!!!???? I hope the American Pickers are watching.

25. I didn't realise that so many HAMBers went to Retromobile. Maybe we should all meet up next year...

BTW, star of the show for me was this Bucciali - FWD and, to give some idea of scale, those wheel rims are 24";

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Just a small bit beyond "cyclecar", but beautiful none the less. :D

27. Yes - just a bit. But indicative of what turns up at Retromobile.

Fitted with two straight eight engines...

28. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Side by side or coupled end to end?

29. av8

av8

Could someone please ID this car for me?

[​IMG]

30. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

Large-Tablet or Talbot-Lago T26C

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014