Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Where was that taken - surely not the USA?? Looks like the Somme, around the Authie valley or somewhere in Devon/Cornwall.

2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I would use a V-Max engine, water cooled V 4,revved a VMX1200nc to well over 13,000 rpm, and the later ones are even bigger beasts, I think the water cooling and narrower V4 would work well in a little ass kicker car. I think some of the big Yamaha touring bikes like the Venture have a reverse and i am fairly certain they are using a VMX drive train, it may also be nice that they are running a drive tube.

3. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

The first one's Shelsley.........the second looks Uk it's a brit registered car anyhow

4. Zerk

Zerk

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

It rather recalls the American Gordon Diamond of a decade earlier. That is listed in one of Tad Burness's books, but I haven't been able to find more information on it. Anyone? though this isn't really the thread for it.

It is certainly a fascinating concept - especially with the centre hinge. There is moreover an interesting equivalency analysis with interconnected suspension systems like the BMC ADO16, Citroën 2CV, and '55-'56 Packard.

6. Zerk

Zerk

This excellent link very kindly provided to me by a fellow HAMBer:
    http://www.carlustblog.com/2008/10/gordon-diamond.html

And thanks for your comments!

7. bobodu

bobodu

Mom always told me "Never bother God with the small stuff."...I never thought about pestering a Saint!! Hmmm...now that the Pope has eliminated Purgatory....I'm not gonna take any chances.
    Anyway....I have a Gravely Model L T-head jug in the electrolysis tank right now. I found this forum while searching for some shortcuts to make the engine able to run without the tranny. Looks like I can seal the big holes easily enough,but there doesn't appear to be a shaft seal. This may require a collar of sorts and I'll have to bolt that on because I don't have TIG equipment.
    I'm gonna build a motorcycle outta this thing and I'll try to keep you up to speed.

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Hi bobodu, and welcome. You seemed to have stumbled into one of the more civilized parts of the HAMB and therefore might not get rapped over the knuckles for not doing an intro post as the rules require. Be warned, however: on other threads you'll find some whose attitude borders on the officiously authoritarian. Best do a quick intro here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18 ...

I for one would certainly like to see what you come up with. What sort of motorcycle have you got in mind? Good luck with your project, and do keep us posted!

9. stevens2@htva.net

[email protected]
    from 14883

10. Zerk

Zerk

Neat little thing. The slackness of the link drivebelts is surprising, but it must not create any functional problems. The setup reminds me of utility tricycles used in Asian countries, with the chains hanging loosely underneath, and swaying as the driver pedals.

11. slipjoint

slipjoint
    from N CA

I built this one a year ago - kind of a cycle car - or - car cycle? i know it was a fun hot rod - sold it to a guy in NY
    [​IMG]

12. Zerk

Zerk

Lots of nice fab work on that trike. Most of this cyclecar thread is probably closer to 30 lb./hp than 10, though ;)

Did the cycle gas tank get used as a reserve tank?

13. bobodu

bobodu

One of "THOSE BOARDS" huh?

Never mind...I will not darken your doorstep again...

14. Zerk

Zerk

Hey! Wait! Give us a chance, huh?
    This is a great place, all you have to do is give a quick howdy and suddenly you're in the middle of mechanical heaven.

15. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

The original design used a basic bronze casting for the slider/hub carrier/steering swivel. The stub axle was a seperate steel turned piece that was held in position by a large nut drawbolt style. The bronze casting wasn't even fitted with removable bushings as the whole thing was replaced when it became too worn.
    The early circa 1914 three wheeler design differs from the later cars because the seperate stub axle fits behind the kingpin. This design would not be all that difficult to fabricate with just a lathe alone because Morgans at this time didn't own a milling machine, but they did have a fairly solid variety of lathe.

[​IMG]

The 1914 three wheelers didn't have front brakes and I'm not too sure how this design would take to having a brake hung on it.

The other way to go would be to modify a standard axle beam stub axle to work as the sliding and swivelling member of Morgan type suspension.
    [​IMG]
    Machine a long bushing that will fit firmly through both lugs and you're almost good to go. I'm sure you gentlemen don't need me to explain the details of how to go about it to you ;)

16. av8

av8

Stifle the drama, bobodu, and just hang in here for a really great connection to some interesting like-minded folk. Ned's comment was more an observation than a caution or instruction.You're already part of an interesting, established and accepted thread on this site. Don't pack it in or you're likely to miss out on some great ideas.

Mike

17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

As I said, bobodu, I'd like to hear about your motorbike. Please stick around! you're more than welcome. Relax!

18. Gofannon

Gofannon

The local guy here says his Chater Lea has the same arrangement of stub axle behind the kingpin. He's had a lot of trouble with speed wobbles, "no matter how much he leans the axle back". My thoughts are he should probably lean the axle forward as the caster is already in the design, ie line through kingpin is already ahead of the tyre contact. So he could be dialing in way too much caster by leaning the axle back.

19. Gofannon

Gofannon

SanctaRosa what type of Albion gearbox do you have? I recently picked up an Albion HJR (I think) 3 speed and reverse. I'm not sure if this was the only gearbox they made with reverse, or if there was a larger unit. It looks a little light for a cyclecar.

20. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

There was a heavier Albion 3 speed and reverse g/box because I remember seeing one some years ago that was in use on a railway jigger in company with a 600cc JAP engine. The lighter type g/boxes could be found on all manner of lightweight agricultural and industrial devices with wheels on. When I was doing the smallholder lifestyle thing several years ago now I owned an ancient small 3 wheel dumpster tractor sort of thing that had an Albion g/box and a Villiers engine. It worked well too.

I'll need to have a dig about in the garage to find the model number on that Albion g/box I still have. I shall PM you once I find it.

21. Gofannon

Gofannon

The 3 wheeler would be a Gnat, which is what my gearbox is from. It might be better suited to a gocart for the kids, or on sell it. The JAP and jigger box would be a great start for a cyclecar. There were a few jigger boxes on TradeMe recently. I think they are an HR, which is the larger one but I haven't found any information on them. So your Albion has no reverse?

22. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

Yes my little Albion g/box is just a 3 speed with no reverse. And I've been remiss (lazy!) because I haven't had a look at the g/box yet to check the model number. :rolleyes:

EDIT: The model designation is 'PL' and it definitely is a 3 speed :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  23. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  24. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

A link to this simple homebuilt cyclecar was posted a short while ago and there wasn't much comment about it at the time.

[​IMG]

The link to the website where the articles can be found is here...... http://www.bright.org.uk/

I like the design myself and the great thing is that it's designed around being built with basic handtools.

25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Someone did some computer renderings of it for that site:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. noboD

noboD

Thanks Bob, what a great way to start the day. I fell in love about 800 times.

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Ooh!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Teatime!

28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Interesting: they had two-stroke flat twins of their own manufacture, and a layout very similar to this Jowett special:
    [​IMG]
    which belongs to a fellow Crankhandle Club member in Cape Town.

29. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

1<SUP>st</SUP> International Cyclecar Race
    in Detroit / USA, July 4-5 1914.

[​IMG]

30. Brooky

Brooky

I'm finding myself strangely drawn to this beastie, despite the terribly spindly wheels and the apparent total lack of brakes (I assume there's a brake somewhere, middle of back axle maybe?). It's a 1919 Grafton, just one of the hundreds of back-yard cyclecar makers that proliferated in the UK at this time. Loving the wooden main chassis rails supporting 1/4 eliptic springs front & rear. So simple, so pure. Just needs a set of slightly beefier wheels. Austin 7 wheels would be ideal.
    [​IMG]