Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's talk Cadillac 331's, 365 and 390's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I sold an NOS scheiffer flywheel 56-62 to tuck a few years ago. Maybe see if he still has it ....

Roothawg likes this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Mark.

Moriarity likes this.
  3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Ok ok here is the deal fellas I am kinda responsible for the uproar over the standard flywheel and bellhousing deal I had sent roothawg a pm regarding the need for one anyhow I am now in the process of putting together a 62 390 cad with a 6-71 blower and god only knows what injector will end up on it I want to run the Chrysler 833 4-speed that is already in my willys pickup so I know I'm gonna have to make some adapters which I have the machinery to do I have built lots of them over the years so it's not really a big deal for me anyhow I was looking for a bell housing to fit my 390 and a flywheel to set this all up with it will end up with a scattershield and a sfi flywheel but for all intended purposes I just need some o e stuff to do some measuring I can do it all with the block I have but a housing is so much easier and faster I have been looking into this for awhile and I know a blower intake is pretty much nonexistent so I am prepared to fab one up I already have found a set of stude adjustable rockers and have located all the basic stuff such as forged blower pistons rings bearings gaskets and such but the one thing I have not figured out is who I can get to make me a cam really would prefer to use a roller but I also am not a billionaire lol any suggestions as to who to call to grind me a custom cam also I will be posting pics of progress of all the fabbed parts but I am slow and this is a over the winter project to be installed in my willys pickup so be patient and I'll keep you all informed on the progress

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

winduptoy, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  4. c322348

c322348

Quick Time Bellhousing RM-8025 available from Jegs or Summit for $761.95. There are also old aftermarket aluminum bellhousings available for various transmissions.

Roller cam will have to be custom billet steel, maybe $1,000. Why do you want a roller cam? Will your heads support the flow you need at the high RPM suggested by a roller cam? With a flat tappet hydraulic cam you can probably do 6,500 RPM and don't need adjustable rockers and can use stock valve covers if you like.

Steve Long Racing Cams in California is very knowledgeable on the old Caddies. Give him a call. He's very helpful.

5. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well I don't have to have a roller I just prefer them over a flat tappet like I said I'm not rich by any means and thanks for the info on Steve long I'll look him up that's what I was wanting is someone who knows Cadillac well

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

winduptoy, loudbang and c322348 like this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

7. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

That cadi with the 471 is total cool. Looks like it needs a little more over drive on that little blower. I ran mine at 33%, about right.

Sent from my SM-T713 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

winduptoy and Moriarity like this.
  8. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Its going in my Ranchero! :)

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's the coolest thing ever. The Y-block guys heads will explode. I like Y blocks too, though.....

10. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

haha... yeah itll go like this- Whats under the hood? 390. 390 FE? nope,,, 390 C a d i l l a c. :p

15275485_370289929987500_5127083094674767872_n (1).jpg

I have a greasy runner that I'm going to clean up and drop in- and a core that I could build to replace it some day.

I think I'm going to paint it a kandy copper with red kandy fades... or just straight kandy red metal flake. I plan to do the swap next summer! Can't wait to have overdrive and three pedals in the ranch.

11. I just got this 390 off craigslist last night for dirt cheap. It was advertised as a 57 365 but the block and head numbers show it as a 58-62 390. I have an early Olds/Cad flywheel, can I use it on this? The engine looks clean under valve covers, owner bought it 30 years ago as a spare for his 57 coupe. I'm hoping it's a runner...

Anyone have a transmission adapter or Edelbrock tri power intake for one of these they would sell? I'm going to chrome a set of nice script valve covers I have.

IMG_6443.JPG IMG_6445.JPG IMG_6446.JPG IMG_6447.JPG

12. 42merc

42merc

It appears to be a '58-'59 with the by pass oil filter piping.
    A more accurate check would be using the motor numbers located just above the pan rail on the left side.
    1958 would get you a 365, 1959 will get you a 390.

13. c322348

c322348

The 390 probably won't have the hole drilled in the end of the crank for a pilot bushing. Any 331 or 365 flywheel will fit but make sure the ring gear matches the starter you plan to use.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  14. Here is a number up near the deck surface. Could not find anything just above pan rail.

Also tore it down to a short block. Everything so far looks good, hopefully I can just freshen and clean it up and have a runner. Bore is 4", so looks like it is a 390

IMG_6461.JPG IMG_6462.JPG IMG_6463.JPG IMG_6465.JPG IMG_6467.JPG

IMG_6466.JPG

15. 42merc

42merc

Motor number says it's a '58, 365 cube. 365 & 390 are the same bore size.
    Measure the stroke, 365 is 3 5/8", 390 is 3 7/8".
    I forgot, 1959 motor numbers are at the pan rail.

16. 365 or 390, either way, great score on a pretty clean engine!

17. Yeah I am stoked. I'm not too concerned with what it is. I just love Cad engines. I was actually disappointed when I thought it was a 390, simply because they are the newest version. But reading on here about the power they make, I got excited lol!

The old guy I got it from advertised it as a 1957 365. He said he had a 57 Coupe DeVille and about 30 years ago he bought it as a spare from a guy who was building a boat and going to use it, but decided not to. The motor mounts support that theory. He sold his 57 last year and had no use for the engine. I paid 300.00 for it, so even if it needs some work I feel I'm in it right.

18. Yeah, I'd say that was a score. I want one one of these days, maybe I can talk roothawg out of the 390 he has...

winduptoy, ls1yj and loudbang like this.
  19. $300 for it? You done good!

20. Yes, I was stoked. Now desperately looking for a bellhousing to go to early Ford so I can see how it fits in my 32 frame haha

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  21. c322348

c322348

Bell housing may cost you more than the engine!

winduptoy, warbird1 and loudbang like this.
  22. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

great score!

you can use the flywheel you have but it takes an early 6v starter. after burning up 3 starters i bought the wilcap adapter and went from a toploader and crager adapter to a t5--it wanted another gear anyway.

i've been divesting of cad stuff to fund my current build. hate that i already sold my 3×2. :-/

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. cretin

cretin

Nice score!
    There is an edelbrock tri power on eBay right now. Not cheap, but most Cadillac stuff isn't.

winduptoy likes this.

24. I saw that and offered what the last one sold at on eBay...seller wouldn't take it. I know Cadillacs aren't cheap, I also don't need this stuff today

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  25. cretin

cretin

Cool. I have one also but not sure yet if I'm going to run it or look for a 4x2. If I end up not running it and you still need one, I'll let you know.

26. Ok cool I appreciate it. I'd run a 3x2 or 4x2...I have three old chrome 97's, so tri power is just naturally what I'm looking for. But 4 carbs have way more cool factor

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

What's yours going in?

loudbang likes this.
  28. I have a 32 chassis I'd like to put it in

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  29. 42merc

42merc

Most Cadillac wannabe's bail after they find out how pricey this junk is.

30. This was my last Cadillac, a late 49 331 I bought from a friend of mine. It was destine to go into the 41 Ford in the background. Life brought me another child on the way, so I sold the 41 and shortly after the 331 as I didn't have a use for it at the time. Our first son was born 5.5 weeks early and spent 3 weeks in the NICU and racked up a nice bill...they told us we had a 70% chance of that happening again so I was very worried about money with the second child. Wish I kept it but that's how it goes. Second child arrived normal and healthy and we have two good healthy kids and that's more important then old cadillac engines I guess LOL.

It was a very clean engine, had adjustable rockers under those valve covers.

IMG_6593.jpg