Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets start up that east coast car club history thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rivet, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Usually whe someone says "east coast style" they mean north east (New England maybe Newyork/NJ) but not Florida,Georgia etc.

2. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByTJJ1367639617.494872.jpg . I talked with a old member Jake and he gave me his old plate topper

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByTJJ1367675098.465250.jpg
    Piston poppers of CT

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Attached Files:

4. frank spittle

frank spittle

The Road Rebels Car Club from Greenville S.C. in the late '50s at Chester Drag Strip in Chester S.C.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. herbertc

herbertc

Dixie Rebel and Comcherro (sp) Reidsville, N.C. Late 1950 to about 1965. We ran an A coupe with an Old's at Peidmont Drag strip had to leave the line in second gear. Later second club ran 1940 Ford coupe with a Hemi.

6. I've got these cool plaques

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nailhead Brooklyn likes this.
  7. 82 vette

82 vette

I am one of the founding members of the bergen wheelers

8. .....Well tell us some great stories or better yet, post up some pics from back in the day.:)

9. 82 vette

82 vette

contact" 82 vette "on the hamb for Bergen wheelers.right on about the fiat and the gas station

10. Tri-City Rod & Custom was established in 1972 here in the upstate of South Carolina and is still active to this day.

It's the oldest club still in existence in South Carolina. HRP

11. Photogs189

Photogs189

Starting May 9th through Sept 19th, 2014 The Classic Nights Car Club will start their 30th year of continuous Cruise Nights at the Village Square Shopping Center, Monroe Turnpike (RT 111), Monroe, CT.. Cruise nights are every Friday 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm (weather permitting). Members of the Classic Nights come from the towns of Bridgeport, Monroe, Shelton and Trumbull. Participants and spectators come from all over Connecticut and occasionally New York.

As a body, the club participates in car shows, cruise nights held by local and some out of state car clubs and various organizations. In past years we have worked closely with MADD, The P.T. Barnum Foundation, running their car shows, taking part in the City of Bridgeport's 4th of July Great Street Parade and the Monroe Rotary Car Show. The Classic NIghts Car Club donates to many worthwhile causes, and charities, (American Cancer Society, JDRF, EMS, Fire & Police Depts., local Food Drives, and Make A Wish). We also enjoy taking an active part in community service such as, the Masonicare at Newtown Car Show.

The club has been hosting cruise nights in Monroe since 1978. Spectators can view stock, custom, classic, antique, rat rods and other types of historical vehicles. This is an opportunity for young people to see these rolling works of art and for older generations to reminisce about days that have gone by. There is no charge for admission to the cruise night. Bring the family and have a great time.

For our first cruise (May 9<SUP>th</SUP>) we will distribute, to the first 150 classic automobiles, dash plaques commemorating our

30 years of cruising.

Please visit our website www.classicnights.com/ and our sponsors Village Square, Dairy Queen (Monroe), McGowan's Pizzaland, and McDonald's (Monroe)

12. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

What a great thread: i hope i am not pushing this thread in another direction: I am interested in starting a club in norwalk ct: since it is hard to come up with a new name, would it be possible to use one of the old names that were in the area? how would you go about searching for past members to see if the name can be used: I was on O'Brien,s Truckers site and was blown away at the list of clubs that were in ct: Thanks, skip

13. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Why don't you see if your local paper would run a "public interest" story about some of the old car clubs? That would be the easiest way to get your message out to the people that still live there.

14. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

sounds like a good idea, thanks, sk

15. Cherry Valley Timing Association, Morrisville, NY
    I was a member, 71-73

Attached Files:

16. Hey all. Does anyone have any information about or photos of the Quarter-Milers, based out of Garrett Park/Kensington and then the Rockville area of Maryland? All of my information comes from our local town newspaper, and I can post the articles when I get back to work on Monday. They may have been known as either "The Montgomery County Quarter-Milers Hot Rod Club" or "Quarter-Milers Auto Club of Maryland" They seem to have been associated with the Montgomery County Traffic School and Safety Council. The articles indicate that they had a garage in Kensington for a year before moving into a garage at the Old Congressional airstrip. It also appears that they assisted the Silver Spring Ram Rods at at least two of their auto shows. They also apparently had a Saturday radio show on WINX 1600 in 1962.

17. .......You might try pulling up the thread on here about Aquasco Speedway (just do a search for Aquasco) and post your inquiry there. Someone may see it and remember the club. Good luck...........Don.

18. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

19. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

It's interesting that there was also a Shifters in Westport .....

[​IMG]

20. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

Hey guys, if you are in the area send me a pm and lets see about a club: sk

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401193106.057524.jpg
    Piston poppers of CT gets a new shirt....

WACCUSTOMS.COM
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Hey Don,

Thanks for the suggestion. I know for a fact that at least one member raced at 75-80 so I don't see why they couldn't have raced Aquasco as well.

-Abigail

23. ..................You are quite welcome. Good luck.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Does anyone have any info on the REV MASTERS from PORTLAND Connecticut? When did the club start and end? Bob

25. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Downshifters..
    Road Rebels..Brooklyn.
    Avenue Angels..East Rockaway, NY
    Bay Buggies..West Islip, NY
    Ramrods..Bronx, NY
    Juniors Queen's Rods..Queens, NY
    King Dragsters..Brooklyn, NY
    The Carbs...Mass.
    the Dominators...Mass.
    Cam Snappers..Mass.

26. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

NEW HAMPSHIRE club ROD BENDERS Started in Gonic N. H.around 1960 the club house garage was in a brick building on the Pickering road in Gonic. Had a 275 gallon wood stove room for 10 cars a dozen 75 watt bulbs for lighting 2 barn type wood doors in the front. The building is still there today many of the original members have passes still a few alive. My brother Bruce is one of the surviving members at 18 there is some memorabilia out there, club plaque has a single piston bent leaning left,block letter script is on right Rod on top Benders on the bottom.Jackets were black corduroy from Bouchers mens store in Somersworth N. H. with sleeve and collar dual white stripes, the patch was sewn on the back looked like the plaque done in silver black back ground. My guess there were 20 members. Real hot rod cars possibly one truck I believe. Any one reading this has info please contact me. Update Nov 29-15 took these two photos this afternoon Spoke to the owner Jim and allowed me to take these photos not only that. He opened the doors so I could look inside, was a fire some time ago but still intact.when I left looking back with a heavy heart, I realize how great it really was then.

Attached Files:

• 124.JPG
      124.JPG
      File size:
      272.1 KB
      Views:
    • 125.JPG
      125.JPG
      File size:
      315.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  27. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

I'm originally from Bayridge/Bensonhurst. 4th generation to sling Italian sausages on the Coney Island board walk lol...I lived in Tampa/St. Pete off and on for about 23 years and my mother still lives in Port Richey off Main Street...

You'd appreciate this website...

http://www.stonegreasers.com/greaser/new_york_gangs.html

28. lothiandon1940 and themoose like this.
  29. sarah04455

sarah04455

Hello, I am hoping that someone is able to help me. My Grandfather used to be a part of the Cam Snappers from Newburyport Ma before he passed in unexpectedly in a 1962 fire. I know that he used to race all over New England. His name is Ronald Hanson. I am looking for any photos from his racing days and anything that relates to him. I would love to be able to surprise my mother with these. She was only 6 at the time of the fire.

30. LIDennnis

LIDennnis

The Strokers Baldwin dragster featured in the Westhampton article was built in our parents' garage in Freeport, NY. I remember it well, because I saw most of the construction as a young boy. In the picture with the front view of the dragster, my brother Harry is standing over the left rear tire. He's now 81 years old, and lives in Clearwater, Florida.