Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets start up that east coast car club history thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rivet, Jul 21, 2006.

1. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

2. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Found this at this link, http://www.motormenders.com/history.html

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"In 1954, the White Rose Timing Club started a drag strip at the Thomasville Airport. The strip was called South Penn Drag Strip until 1959, when South Penn and the Lancaster Drag Strip both closed. In 1960, the Sportsters Car Club helped the Motor Menders start the York US 30 Drag-O-Way at the Thomasville Airport."[/FONT]

3. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

any info on any clubs a little further south... say Virginia or North Carolina?

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

SIDEWINDERS === Ridgefield, Ct. an early 1960's club, my Dad was a cop at that time and was an advisor for the guys.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

The Rear Gears were out of Willimantic, Ct in the 60's.
    I used to see them hanging around the Windham Diner which was next door to my fathers store that I had to go to every day after school when I was a kid.
    They were one of the big influences that got me interested in this sickness!:D

Hey Dennis O'Brien, you forgot this one in your list also.

Attached Files:

6. Well since I made that one for you I guess I should be bright enough to add it to my NE plaques list:rolleyes:

7. frank spittle

frank spittle

"Rods Exclusive" was a Charlotte, North Carolina car club founded in the late Fifties that folded sometime in the eighties. When first formed it was a 1948 and older club hince the name. There were not many Rods in Charlotte in the late Fifties and not many members with cars but you could join if you were an enthuiast. By the early Eighties there were hundreds of Rods in the Charlotte area but also numerous car clubs. Two founding members were Joe Mears, who built himself a Carson Topped Pontiac powered '36 Ford Convertible and Bob Lawhon, who had Mears build him a Carson Topped 331 Cadillac powered '33 Essex Terraplane Convertible both built in the late Fifties. I don't know what happened to Mear's '36 Ford but I purchased the Essex in 1968 and owned it for 41 years, selling it a couple months ago. I was a member Of "Rods Exclusive" from 1968 until it folded. Are there any other HAMBERS who were also members?

8. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

It depends on where you divide the country for east/west/midwest but I guess you could call the Roadmates of Mississauga, ON as an east coast club. This year is the 53rd anniversary of our formation.
    The following is an interview I did in 2006 with the two founding members of the Roadmates; brothers Duke and Tony Brown.

Tell us a little about the background of how the club was started?

DB
    Our family moved to Canada in 1955 from Britain. We initially lived in the Roncessvalles area in the west end of Toronto. The neighborhood back then was designed with alleyways in back of the houses. All of the garages had dirt floors and were basically just four walls and not very big. In the neighborhood, we ended up meeting a bunch of guys. The first hot rodder we met was Gordie Redpath. He had a model A with an Ardun overhead conversion flathead
    But for our first taste of American cars, our father owned a 1939 Pontiac back in the UK.
    It was really a barge driving on the narrow roads of England.

TB
    Duke and I have always been close. As kids, we played soccer and Cricket and also built and flew model airplanes together. We got in trouble with our parents together. This car hobby has kept us just as close. I feel very proud saying this.

DB
    Five individuals got together. Bill Sarkasian, Joe Zykus, TB, DB, Rick Youell. They were the original members. Of the five, only Tony and I are the remaining members
    We first started off having meetings in Joe’s basement on Glendale Avenue.
    We’ve been asked often about the origin of the Roadmates name. Having heavy British accents back then, most guys thought we said “Road Knights” but it really was Roadmates. As it turns out it’s a very appropriate name for a group of guys who have become friends.

TB
    I was the original treasurer and Duke was the first president. Over the fifty-year history, Duke has remained President.
    I designed the first Roadmates emblem and our first club jacket was purple and reversible.
    This is in keeping with my eventual career in the advertising field. I started at Eaton’s in 1956 and eventually became President of Clarion Canada in 1992.

DB
    There was a reason the jacket was reversible. In the 1950’s hot rodding had a hoodlum or rebel stigma. The jacket was reversible so that if we ever got around trouble, the jacket would reverse so no one would recognize them. Pretty ingenious, but really were not troublemakers. We were just young guys who were having a good time.

Our early meetings were very casual. Just a group of car friends getting together. The written constitution was eventually developed around 1959. Our meetings prior to ’59 were held in members’ garages and Molson Golden and Red Cap ale were the libations of choice.

What were the first cars you built and/or worked on?

DB
    Between the 5 guys, Tony had 34 ford and there were 3 model A’s being built. The newest car was a ’51 Ford.
    My model A was chopped, channeled and had an olds engine. We didn’t have the resources like we have in the club today. An electric drill was the only power tool. Hacksaws, files, wrenches and Oxy acetylene torches were very useful since there were no hot rod shops to buy parts and only wrecking yards available to scrounge for useful parts.
    Everyone chipped in to help build each other’s car. Today, its still done the same way but with better equipment.

TB
    I had a 34 Ford, 3w, full fendered and, of course, all steel. It ran a full race flathead (59 A block). Later on the motor was changed to a Buick out of Ray Clifford’s stock car and rebuilt by John Osborne.

What were some of the early adventures of the Roadmates?

TB
    Picnics were held at Minsentti Park on the Credit River. It was all very casual but we always had a good time.

DB
    There were no cruises in those days. We made our own events. We frequently met at the Biff Burger on the The Queensway. We also sold programs at Speed Sport at the CNE. The funds collected selling the programs went to support the club.

TB
    All members received special pricing on burgers because our cars were a draw. We were sort of pioneers of the cruise nights of today. Cars attract people and are a good marketing tool.
    Later on we used to drive out to the Kingsway where we first met up with the Etobicams. That was a big adventure.

DB
    In the late 50’s, stock car races at the CNE were a huge event every Friday night. Throughout this time we were gradually increasing the membership.
    Drag racing at Cayuga was also an adventure. We used to drive our cars to the strip, race them and then drive them home. The cars that broke had to be towed home.

Tell us about how you acquired this building?

DB
    Again in the late 50’s, Bill Spencer became a member. We decided to look for a place and Bill and Tony found this current location. Back then it was a long trip to go from Toronto to the Dixie Road area. Obviously, the QEW was not the super highway it is today.
    I can’t recall what the monthly rent was back then. We had enough members at that time to squeeze ten cars in to cover the cost of rent.

TB
    The guy who owned the place was actually ran a market garden and the spot Duke now occupies was the owner’s summer cottage.

DB
    Prior to this, the building had a bit of a reputation as a gambling joint and as a laboratory. Members back then were Tony, myself, Joe S, Bill, Rick Youell, Bruce Wilks, Paul Brioux and Gord Olson. Gord Redpath joined in 1960.

What was going on in the early days of the club in this building?

DB
    As I said, 10 cars were stuffed into the building; each guy brought their own beer and would have to hide them from each other; usually under the cars. I guess it’s easy to tell the early members were fans of beer. Some are still fans to this day!
    The club eventually put a fridge at the top of the stairs. We used to argue about who would go ‘up the hill’ to get the next round of beer.
    We were also involved with car shows. 1959 was the year for one of the first indoor car shows. It was held at the Fort York Armories. This show was run by the Toronto Dragsters and the Toronto Modifieds. Tommy Henderson (who is currently a Roadmate) was a member of the Toronto Dragsters at the time.

TB
    We had a club display even back then. All club members’ cars were displayed. The first display was a moon-like setting with a rocket ship. Very much like a space scene. We were really ahead of our time. We won best club display.

Tell us about the ‘60’s? What were the highs and lows? How many members?

TB
    In the sixties we had 19 members, some came and went but we still have a few left as members today.

DB
    Outdoor car shows became more popular. Plus, we also showed our cars at malls.

TB
    Drag racing was becoming more popular too and we got involved racing.

DB
    Tony, Nick, Bruce and I eventually got more serious into drag racing. Tony and I started campaigning our Fiat Topolino and Nick did likewise with his Topolino.
    We found that Fiat in Cambridge. We cut it all to rat shit. We basically used the shell. Everything else was hand built; the axle, headers, inside aluminum. Everything!

TB
    We started out running a 401 Buick and eventually blew it up at Niagara drag strip (Niagara falls NY). After the Buick we put in a blown, injected small block Chevy.

DB
    On the first run with that engine, we blew the clutch and it ended up taking part of the body with it. We had to rebuild it.

TB
    The motor was just a Chevy small block, but it was built! 270 cubic inches with Hillborn injection and a Potvin front mounted blower. We purchased the motor from Miller and Gregory. The motor was used in the original Pack Rat. They were based in London. We hooked up with M and G at St. Thomas dragway and bought the motor when they switched to another power plant.

DB
    I drove the car. Our best time was 10 flat and 155mph.
    The most successful drag racer in the club was Nick and his Fiat (look for more on drag racing and Nick in other articles).

TB
    I drove the push car. On one occasion, I pushed Duke to fire up the Fiat and then I had to run to the starting line to check if everything was ok. I forgot to check if Duke had his harness on. At the end of the run, Duke popped the chute and he ended up with his testicles wrapped around the shifter. He was not happy…but, thankfully, unhurt.

Tony, tell us about your trip to California in 1964?

TB
    I still had the ’34 Ford 3 window coupe. I displayed the car at a show in late October and the next morning I packed my bags, picked up Joe Z and left for the west coast. We did the true Route 66 trip. It took us about 1 week to get there with various stops along the way (St Louis, Grand Canyon, San Francisco and eventually down to San Diego. We stayed at Imperial Beach for a few months that winter.
    The hot rod scene in Cal at this time wasn’t really prevalent. We saw a few hot rods but not like we were expecting. The Pomona Drags were the real attraction for us.

Duke what were you doing at this time?

DB
    I was working at DeHavilland Aircraft but I was always building some type of car in my off time. Both Tony and I were living at home at that time.
    At DeHavilland, I started on the assembly line and eventually got involved in the steam fitting and plumbing department. I was able to access all kinds of different machinery that I used to build parts. I was always walking out with brackets that I built and pieces of steel or aluminum to make something with. We were able to buy scraps of metal and I made use of this policy.

What else was going on in the 60’s?

DB
    We became very involved with indoor car shows at this time. We were approached by Bob Reynolds (who was heading ISCA) and were asked to become judges. ISCA looked at the quality of the cars we were building at the time and felt we had the knowledge and skill to become judges.
    As Canadians on the US show circuit, we earned a bit of a reputation as party people.
    The Canadian connection was myself, Tony, Gary Challice and Bob Reynolds.

TB
    We traveled pretty well all over the US. Mainly in the winter months.

You must have a couple of humorous car show stories to share?

TB
    We did a car show in Detroit. All four of us traveled together. While staying at the Cadillac Hotel, we called the show to tell them to send us colour glossies and we would judge the show from the hotel over a few ‘cold ones’. This idea didn’t fly.
    At a championship show, we came back to our room one night and one of the major contestants (Cy Kubista) filled our bathtub with beer and ice. Earlier, he asked us what it would take for him to win the show. We told him. He won but he was a shoe-in anyway.

Another time, in Washington at a banquet, we each had a pitcher of beer leaving the banquet. I had to relieve myself against a Government building and was stunned to see the police lights glaring upon us. They told us we were lucky- during the time of riots- not be shot. As it turns out, we were in a very bad part of town.

DB
    During those judging years, I was also invited back to England to judge a show. I am still judging shows to this day.

How about the 70’s? What was happening?

DB
    The seventies were about the same as the sixties; building cars, judging shows, making new friends. After buying the club property, we put an addition on to the back of the building without a permit, which is unheard of these days. All the members pitched in to build this addition but Dal Middleton built most of the structure and did the design work.

TB
    The seventies were car shows, cruises, and fun times.

What is happening in the club today?

DB
    The cars being built today are much more sophisticated. The quality is much improved. The membership dynamic has changed too. Members come from various walks of life. It seems unusual that we still have a strong bond amongst us but a car is still the catalyst.
    Some of the newer members have a more-recently developed interest. They probably weren’t involved with cars as heavily as we were when younger but nonetheless, they are very enthusiastic about cars. Some guys took a break from the hobby to build their careers and family and are now back into it.

TB
    Another common element is that we have been recognized as members of the CSRA Hall of Fame. Its very nice being recognized for the things we have done over the years.
    I think Duke has lost count on the number of cars he has either owned and/or built.

DB
    I regret not keeping track of that.

Where did you see the club going?

DB
    The future depends on having a good location to work out of. We have been very fortunate to keep this building since 1959.

TB
    Yes, having this building has been a key element in keeping this club together.

DB
    The Roadmates are highly respected to this day and we hope this will continue. You know you have made it in the community when you are on a first name basis with the Beer Store employees!

It would be nice to see more involvement from the younger guys. It seems the US hot rodders get their kids involved more than the Canadians. We need to work on that.

9. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Rhinebeck Rebels ". I'm not far from Orangeburg NY. Never heard of them. Any more info ?? Thanks

10. TB
    The motor was just a Chevy small block, but it was built! 270 cubic inches with Hillborn injection and a Potvin front mounted blower. We purchased the motor from Miller and Gregory. The motor was used in the original Pack Rat. They were based in London. We hooked up with M and G at St. Thomas dragway and bought the motor when they switched to another power plant.
    =====================================================

In regards to the motor that TB was referring too..Here IS the blower system from their car...I found it many years ago and have mocked it up on a 265 chevy motor..as thats what Miller & gregory had it on..

This photo was taken at Thompson Gasser meet several yrs ago.

1939fiat
    Rick

Attached Files:

11. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

A few more from CT -from the 50s-60s
    Cam Jammers -Hartford/Windsor
    MotorMounts -Bloomfield
    Stockers -Glastonbury

70s-80s
    New England Street Rodders-Manchester

12. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

The Coachmen -- Baltimore, MD ... Early 1960s

Attached Files:

13. Anyone with info on:

Speed Shifters out of Linden, NJ?

14. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Was this their plaque? .....

[​IMG]

15. crazybob

crazybob

In 1981, I was a member of the Quaker City Classics of Philadephia. It was a tri-five club. Our meetings were held at Matt Slapp Chevrolet Grant Ave., near the NE. Philly airport.

We did a convoy of around 10 cars to the CCC convention in Dearborn in July, 81. Some of the members were Bud Haines -57 hearst, Butch Harrowler -chopped 57 delivery, Rich & Lynn Marks -55 "Lady Luck" 2 dr. post. .. My 55 nomad was there. I'm trying to remember some of the other names?

16. trhouse

trhouse
    from Ohio

I'm digging for anyone who might be able to tell me about a Nail head Buick running in Modified sports cars in the fifties or sixties around the Lancaster Drag strip The search May run down into Maryland or around the Philly area in the fiftes or sixties . I found it in Chatsford in the Eighties

17. Clark

Clark

I'll have to do some asking but the racing at US30 York (Thomasville) was started by a cop in Hanover PA. I'm pretty sure he was a member of the Hanover Rod and Kustom Club.

The racing was actually held first on the front stretch of Lincoln Speedway, a local dirt track. I think that was 1954 and the airport was 1955.

Not sure what the White Rose Timing association is. Never heard of it.

I think the father of a lurker was an original member of that club.

Hanover had a couple of clubs...including the Flamers. I used to know of an old Flamer plaque but it disapeared.
    Clark

18. Clark

Clark

trhouse...what was the car? I have some footage of US30 York from the mid 50's.
    Clark

19. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

No, but I think this plaque was a cool way to let everyone know that your car raced there .....

[​IMG]

20. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

21. I'm looking for "Cam Twisters" of Manchester NH.. anyone here in that Group IF they still exist?? - Would love to see the Plaque..

22. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

This one .....?

[​IMG]

23. Boy, that sure looks like a Chicago Metal Craft plaque. But I don't have it in my collection.

Sorry I can't help.....

Dennis

24. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Since this thread has been raised from the dead...

I was a member of the North Tonawanda, NY "Piston Jockeys CC" in high school back around '63-'64, right around the time the club breathed its last. I know that long before I was involved the club had a Model A roadster drag car. Do wish I knew what happened to my club jacket. It disappeared while I was in the Navy along with a bunch of old Hot Rod Mags. The other club in town that I remember was the "Stockers." Kind of an exciting name for a hot rod club.

Lee

25. Did their plaques look like these?

Attached Files:

26. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Dennis, Yes on the Stockers plaque. The PJ plaque is from a club with the same name on the other side of Buffalo. Never knew of the other club till I posted an ad on the Buffalo Craigslist recently looking for Piston Jockey memorabilia. Same club name but different logos. Ours had a Jockey riding the piston. Thanks for posting.

Lee

27. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Like this .....?

[​IMG]

28. OK, so this might have been the pattern that the Piston Jockeys on your side of the tracks had their plaques made from. Note that the Piston Jockies plaques were made by Speed Gems out of Minn. while the Piston Jockeys plaques were from Chicago Metal Craft out of Port Chicago Calif.:

Attached Files:

29. F&J

F&J

I recall reading that Gene Pitney was in a car club during the late 50s in Rockville, Ct. He had a full custom 57 Ford. I can't recall the club name, but it was not the Tyrods.

30. jpm49c

jpm49c

I'm looking for any info on the Thundering Turtles Hot Rod Club in Dumont, N.J. They raced at Montgomery NY and West Hampton Beach Dragway. The club car was a 1931 Model A coupe with a Caddy or Olds engine. My Uncle Rich Belits had a 1932 roadster with a flathead . The body was red and white int. He lived in Dumont and had a gas station around there. It was either a Enco or Chevron. Would of been late 1950's and thur the early 1960's. Also looking for a picture of my Dad's old Mobile station @ 333 Kinderkamack Rd. Hillsdale N J. I googled it and it was still a Mobile gas (now a Sinclair i think) But in 1955 it was an old wood Station " Formerly Lester's Auto Repair. Thanks for any info or pictures. John