Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see your "hodad" ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by battersea boys, Jan 21, 2009.

1. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

Anyone who didn,t surf usually had their fun on land. lets see your automobile..................

2. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

here,s mine

Attached Files:

3. What's a hodad ride?

4. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Is that anything like a "hooptie"? An absolute POS you picked up for $50, but it ran like a champ?

I'v had a few of 'em...

5. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Hodad---

50's term for a greaser, someone who hung out at the beach, but definitely not a surfer. Hodads were into cars, music and were a type of counterculture style. These were NOT posers, as some of the other definitions had stated...Surfer's and Hodad's would be completely separate groups, that often clashed with each other.
    In the beach communities in the 50's one was either a hodad or a surfer. Hodad's wore a very specific style of clothing.....black shoes, jeans, and a t-shirt (preferably white). They were NOT posers, and wouldn't be caught dead hangin' with a surfer. aka...low riders :):D

6. A hodad is a person that hangs out with surfers but don't surf,,,a wanna be,a poser,,,or the dreaded sidewalk commando.

Since I never lived near the coast,,,I took up skateboarding back in the early 60's,,,I tried but my sister steel wheel skates cut apart and bolted to a board didn't roll across little stones in the driveway,,,they came to a painful roadrash type bloody stop! HRP

7. This is funny shit! I guess being raised in MO, a long way from a beach or surfin', is why I never heard of a "Hodad" .. lol !!

8. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

<TABLE id=entries><TBODY><TR><TD class=index>1. </TD><TD class=word>hodad </TD><TD class=tools id=tools_279438></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD class=text colSpan=2>(circa 1950's) A poser (faker) surfer.

One who drives to the beach with a board on the car, sticks his board in the sand and tans and picks up Betties

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    See this thread for hodad rides
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312373&highlight=surf

Surfers (in socal anyway) drove these by a large margin over any other specific car,

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. rbroadster

rbroadster

My only "Hodad ride" was whatever I happened to be in when I would drive down to Newport Ave in Ocean Beach and eat at Hodad's burger joint.

The BEST burgers in the San Diego area bar none!

Can't wait to get out there again.

- RBR

10. Damn...I want to go to Hodad's right now...awesome burgers, cool people and a great place to hang...

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The license plate on my 56' Chevy in high school (66'-69') was DAD-052, Washington State. I had added a little "HO" to the side/top by "DAD". That was my "HODAD". Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Flea

Flea

I've got a good friend who works at Hodad's, hadn't seen her in 6 or 7 years and I just happened to bump into her while on vacation in San Diego, it was weird...

13. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

very interesting...but stupid!!.......

14. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Remmebber those Anette Funaciello and Frankie Avalon (sp?) beach movies? Didn't they call they each other "ho-daddies"?