Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see your '50's - '60's high school rides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLUDICE, Jun 17, 2010.

1. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

ha ha ,yeah those f'n tri-fives were famous for break'in shit. Best car i ever owned

2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    You are a smart (and lucky) man!

3. RDR

RDR

Back again...didn't think there was a pic of my first car...1958;15 years old..'49 Chev 2dr sdn..black primer, 216-3spd, red wheels, portawalls, 670x15,760x15...got me 3- 35MPH in 25MPH speeding tickets in first year of drivers license.:(..dumb kid don't know speedo is 10 MPH off with big tires.:confused:..........Car names were a must in 1958..........this one named, "C NOTE" for the $100 bill it cost me

Attached Files:

4. The Foothill division cops of LAPD knew this car pretty well back in the early 70's.

Attached Files:

5. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here I am at 14 years old and a friend of my father gave me his mother's car. 1954 Ford Sunliner. My father (God bless him) told me he would register the car(for him to use) and I could do what ever I wanted to do to the car, as long as it was ready for him to drive to drive to work Monday through Friday. The first thing I did was remove the grille guard and driving/fog lights.Next it was time to nose and deck it and than onto frenching the headlights (those Hot Rod and Hop Up magazines I had saved were coming in handy now). I just bondo'd up the headlight doors, and when my father came home, he asked how I was supposed to change a headlight bulb when it burned out (that is when he told me about screwing the headlight bucket in from under the fender....live and learn :) )Put an 8 Ball shift knob and a Cal Custom scoop on the 2bbl carb. Not long after this picture,he took me to Sears and Roebuck and we bought 3 quarts of "Candy Apple Red" paint and we painted it with paint brushes in the same spot this picture was taken. Sold the car long before I got my liscense. I was a very lucky son, for sure!
    Here I am adusting the carb....
    [​IMG]

7. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

1950 Plymouth

Knew that I was getting this car as it belonged to my aunt. Started planning the swap at 14 and at 16 swapped in a 283 Chevy, T-10 (shortly replaced with maybe the first 2.43 Super T-10 sold in NYC), 67 Camaro ten bolt rear, Rochester 4 jet carb, Edelbrock C4B manifold, and dual Thrush mufflers (the long skinny cans).

Drove that car all over.

Still have the tranny; the shifter knob and fog lights are on my DD Jeep.

1950 Plymouth Side Holbrook.jpg

8. Roadsir

Roadsir

Perfect....I wasn't born yet when this picture was taken, but this is the mild custom look from that era that really really looks good. Just a slight rake, some chrome steelies, skinny white walls.

9. adams27

adams27

I'm really liking this thread. I was born in 74', and I'm not at all offended. I enjoy seeing what you guys drove and what you were willing to do to keep it going!

10. HRod 50

HRod 50

You are freakin kidding me? Wow! What a beauty, and I cant imagine the tail you got back in the day in highschool..

11. tomcorust

tomcorust

View attachment 1009081 Class of 1967, Had some Fun with this, owned from 1966 to 1974 :( (looked the same most of those years), it got turned into a Drag Car :( (Not by me, but I kept track of it), bought it Back in 2004 :) (Lucky Me), currently undergoing a Redo back to 1974 :) when I sold it!!! Enjoy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

'29 Model A.
    High School ride?? I rode the school bus, started '51, graduated in '55. It was unusual for a student to drive a car to school on a daily basis in those days..... There were rarely more than a half dozen cars parked in the school yard.

When I did take the jalopy to town, a couple of runs up and down main street on Saturday night and then a stop at the tavern or pool hall for a beer might be considered a big night.
    Our Mom with our '29.jpg

13. justafordguy

justafordguy
    from saginaw

I graduated in 1968. I got a '55 Merc like this one in '66 for $350.00. Mine was white/black. In '67 I bought this 65 Olds from my Dad. He had gone middle age crazy for a couple of years but I talked him out the ride. I only had to pick up the payments...no equity required. Dad's gone now but I still the negotiations. I wish I still had the Cutlass and the Montclaire!

I drive the '35 to work now and then.

Attached Files:

14. justafordguy

justafordguy
    from saginaw

gotta luv snow tires!

15. Landflyer

Landflyer

Here are two of my High School rides, my '56 Ford Hot Rod, note the stained glass window and my '49 Packard Hearse - hey!

Attached Files:

16. justafordguy

justafordguy
    from saginaw

17. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Yes, we could only drive a car to school if you had a after school job, or a after school activity/sports. After I graduated they eased up on that.

18. tomcorust

tomcorust

Ok Bludice, Your old enough, tell me, terms like Jalopy, Hotrod, Streetrod, when did these Terms Start? I grew up with Muscle Cars, that term didn't really take off untill mid Sixties, any dateing on the other three? Thanks:cool:

19. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I don't know, even though I liked hot rods, the muscle cars were a strong presents in the mid '60's and '70's. There wasn't much "labeling" back then. I didn't jump into the car scene until '82 - out in '91 - back in '03 I got a T Bucket and started to re-do-it my way and here came the "labels" from all directions. I sold the T last year and bought the shoebox. That's when I started thinking about what was driven to my school during my school years and how they were "fixed" up. Hot Rods & Kustoms were terms used by the magazines - not us kids

20. teddyp

teddyp

had the same one in the late 60,s:D

Attached Files:

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Like BLUEDICE said; Lables, if any, were different; I don't remember anyone describing somebody elses' car as names we use today. The car that the Wakefield boys drove was "Bud Wakefield's car". My friend's '48 Merc was "Gerald's car". Our car was "The 'A'. Another was "Howard Morgan's Rattletrap". And always, if the car was an upscale one, it was Jone's Cadillac, Brown's Lincoln, Uncle Elmer's Hupp, etc.

I could have driven, the exemption also included we kids that were from the farm.
    But guess who put he Kee-bosh on that option......:D

"Ride the bus dammit, our tax dollars are paying for it!"

22. This will barely qualify (class of 1969)!

I customized my hand-me-down '54 Canadian Pontiac by nosing, decking adding chrome reversed rims ($15ea. for the fronts and $35ea. for the 10" rears - NEW!) and diamond tufted black naugahyde VW buckets. More often than not the other kids would open the front door, flip the seat forward and hop in the back! :p When it was time for them to bail I would tell them to just use the back door! :D Guess no one noticed it was a 4-door! :eek: The car had an awsome AMC Bittersweet Orange metallic paint job (body and paint - $400.00 including that massive nosing job to remove the Pontiac 'waterfall'). I do miss that mordor.

[​IMG]

-Dave

23. Landflyer

Landflyer

Teddy,
    It is hard to see your hearse in the photo, is it also a '49 Packard?

I had mine in 1964, we used to cruise Van Nuys Blvd., in the San Fernando Valley and park in front of the Praisewater Funeral Home and see if we could get girls to pull over, no luck. I'm sure that they thought that we were sick SOB's.

Landflyer

24. teddyp

teddyp

yes it was a 1949 wish i still had it sorry about the small picture it was taken at the jerzery shore in my hippy dazes

25. locb

locb
    from eastern CT

Here is a shot of me and my first car in 1965.[​IMG]

26. Drewski

Drewski

One of my high school rides, a 63 1/2 Falcon Futura, with a 260/4 speed with a bench seat.

[​IMG]

Drewski

27. LDGn63

LDGn63

OK, they are my dad's... but the cars are no less cool. (plus, he has dial-up!) Ironically, his HS colors were blue/white same as the 'vert.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

28. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Pretty cool thread. The guy w/ the black 34 sedan has to be one of luckyest mofos on earth! What a freakin beauty!

29. This is my brother's first car in H.S. - Class of 69 AND my first car. :eek: Its a 1959 Peugeot 403, Columbo car. My dad gave this to me for my 13th birthday to play around with that started my lifetime auto interests. He never thought I'd get it running. I did and gave it to my brother who just got his licence as I had another 4 year wait. :D

Attached Files:

30. sololobo

sololobo

Here is my first hot rod and school ride 56-59, 33Chevy tu-door. This snapped at the Grand Island, Ne. drag strip 1957, doing my best "I'm Cool pose"---Geek!! ~Sololobo~

Attached Files: