Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see some sheet metal shaping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhnarial, Sep 16, 2008.

1. dechrome

dechrome

This is a top project inspired by metalmeet.com and the help of talented folks at annual metalmeets in Oblong Il. The top was fiberglass over a wireform framework. I had some cracking in the glass so the top was used to make a flexible shape pattern to guide the shapping of 10 aluminum pieces to reskin the top. The glass was ground away and the panels welded together with TIG and reattached to the frame. The pictures may not be in sequence.
    deChrome

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

subscribed, awesome work.

3. Dyce

Dyce

I've heard of it being done that way too. I've been starting the bead around the buck. I can't go to the full j on the buck because if I did I couldn't get the fender off. I get the bead to a L on the buck and finish it to a j with this
    [​IMG]
    It is a 5/8 rod bent to shape with 5/8 blocks welded around it. It works on the right or left fender. It is a nice tool to use for bead repair on a used fender as well. It stabilizes the fender, and you can use a plastic hammer to bend a bead patch right around it with it clamped in the fender. I just clamp it in and can cut as many peices of the bead out I need all at once and the fender keeps it's shape.

4. Dyce

Dyce

Snap-on and Cornwell is my first choice. Most of what I have is good old stuff I've scrounged up over the years. I've picked up some deals on e-bay. Lots of times you can get hammers in lots. The shipping is better, and you can pay less per hammer that way. You want to get good dollys. The cheap stuff is to soft to hammer welds. There again snap-on cornwell, matco, (I beleive they are made by Martin tools)

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Dyce,

Thatza great flange jig you've built there! I've used emt bent & filled with sand and also mdf with hardwood and Nylon corking tools for good stretching without tools marks. Your jig can be used to build the whole flange and stretch and shrink without having to move or unclamp the part, cool!
    Did Glasser use alot of wood in the construction of their bodies as late as thirty six?

6. Dyce

Dyce

The whole subrail and floor was wood. The rear of the body behind the back seat was wood. Even the windsheild frame Glasser build was a wood frame skinned with sheetmetal. From the cowl back it was all hand built. I can see if I can get some pictures. The car isn't in my shop anymore.

7. blackbaron

blackbaron
    from Finland

8. Dyce

Dyce

That is some cool shit!!! You're right, it is a bummer the text is in Finnish. You have any more pictures of your tools? That is amazing art!! Thanks for sharing your work.

9. blackbaron

blackbaron
    from Finland

No I haven´t yet..
    I have only some hammers and Mig & Tig welding machines...

I made a english wheel and it is almost ready. You will read that my blog in english some day yet..:D

10. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Plenty of new svreensavers in this thread

Sent via my Android phone using Tapatalk

11. gwarren007

gwarren007

Nice work in this thread!!

12. Square

Square
    from Canada

This is part 1 of a pedal car rebuild for my kids.
    The pedal car was run over and has some heavy damage.
    Just the inside seat repair in this video, please have a look.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0EV3XIIxT-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  13. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Some fenders Chris Rusch made for an ice racing motorcycle with the MH-19 Power hammer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. gwarren007

gwarren007

15. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

flood of flowers, I made a bunch of these for xmas gifts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this one was for the ESD,, I thought he would like the parts more than the whole, so I made him a model rose kit.

[​IMG]

it contains all the parts to make the completed one sitting next to it. That one went to Mom.

16. concreteman

concreteman

wow

17. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

Those of you interesred in metal shapping in the upper midwest should check out allmetalshaping.com or metalmeet.com for our upcomming spring event.I hope that Johnie A will show up as a bunch of his cronies will be there.If someone out there can link to the posts feel free.

18. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

Dyce,

What a great way to repair a fender! Personally I have never seen this approach, although that's not saying much.

What rod bender do you recommend for 5/8" rod?

Thanks!

19. Willy B

Willy B

As always lots of cool work happening here. I called these mums; they are 17" across on 1/2" stems;

Attached Files:

20. Dyce

Dyce

I have a bender I made out of an old vice to do the long bend
    [​IMG]
    And the short bends on the ends I used one of the universal benders sold at TSC or HF. 5/8 cold rolled is about the limit for the universal bender.

21. boutlaw

boutlaw

very informative thread, thanks for posting for hacks like me!

22. Mig always "adds" metal. If you have a TIG, practice on some scrap sheet metal to reduce your grinding and haz work. You could also gas weld it with soft metal and then hammer it flat...hammer-weld. What does the back side of the fender look like? You have to finish that side as well. Metal work is an art.....remember not to overwork the metal when free forming as it can harden and crack.

23. so here is what i did the last few days
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. lehr

lehr

A blister I hammered out to cover up a plug on my electric fan.

Attached Files:

25. kenb

kenb
    Member Emeritus

Finally finished off this one. This vase is constructed out of three ribbon pieces that wrap around the vessel from bottom to top in a long spiral, and are connected together with aircraft rivets.

I'm usually not easily lured into dainty projects like vases, but the challenge of the shape and construction techniques made this one a worthwhile learning exercise.

Ken

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  26. mtlmanalex

mtlmanalex

various stuff , i'll try and find some progress pics [ theyr'e more interesting ]

Attached Files:

27. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

This thread is awsome

28. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Yeah thanks for that,,, the wife saw it, now she wants me to make her one.:D

29. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

30. LBCD

LBCD

41-48 ford rear inner fender wells...finger brake and a piece of 1.5'' tubing
    [​IMG]

Have you driven a band lately? just a few snare drums I fab on the side :cool:
    [​IMG]