Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical lets see some lever shocks on 32 type frames

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by john walker, Oct 1, 2013.

1. john walker

john walker

just set the 30 roadster project on wheels this week, for eyeball purposes and i decided that lever shocks (knee action) are the way to go. how about some pics of their installation and linkage on model a/32 style frames. the hemi bouncing along on a model a front spring obviously needs some damping. i have a couple sets of 49 cadillac rear shocks that could work, maybe on both ends. the fronts outside the frame and the rears inside the frame.

2. john walker

john walker

49 cad rears and 1st car on the ground mockup.

Attached Files:

3. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

You know that all those Fords came with lever shocks!
    You can buy new reproductions & they work pretty good.
    Just put them on like Henry did!

4. john walker

john walker

do you think stock ford units are strong enough to control the weight of that hemi over a model a spring? i don't want a bouncy/boingy ride.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Those Cads are ugly. I'd try some Fords, they'll probably work fine.

6. john walker

john walker

the cads will be hidden in the rear, inside the frame, if i use them. they are big/ugly.

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I think they look fine myself...but I don't think later Ford Houdaille shocks will give a boingy ride if located properly.
    Houdaille's were considered one of the best shocks available at the time and were used on race cars as well as road cars. The later models were even adjustable!
    (Maybe they were ALL adjustable! Not sure on the earliest.)

8. john walker

john walker

any pics of stock or custom applications with the linkage to the suspension? something other than dog bones.

9. 117harv

117harv

If you think they are ugly and will be hidden, why dont you just run standard telescopic shocks?

Here are some pics, many more with info to be had with the search function. Also british sports cars ran them up into the 60's, many are aluminum and NOS ones are reasonable.

Attached Files:

10. Anyone have any real world experience to report how well the Armstrong shocks worked when turned 90 degrees, seen a few that way on build pictures; but haven't noticed them sideways on any completed and driving cars.

11. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Use MGB rear shocks. Bolt holes line up with original 32 frame holes. Shocks are rebuildable, can be adjustable and not too expensive. I'll try to find a pic of mine installed.
    They work very well

12. Armstrong is the brand of those shocks, just had a set rebuilt for a Wolseley 6-110 I restored for a customer, they work pretty bloody well and look good as well. A lot of Pommy cars 50's- 60's came out with them..

13. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Can't imagine why anyone would run them in any position other than the std way. They don't interfere with fenders on a 32 w/fenders.
    The type I'm referring to were used on MGB's in the rear. They work very well, bolt into the original 32 holes and the arms are the correct length. I'll try to get a picture of one on my 32.
    Jim

They were used on 62-82 MGB's in the rear

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good thread, I don't like the look of tube shocks on the front either. Do a search for the Rolling Bones shock setup. Bob

panhead_pete likes this.
  15. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the old English after market ROTAFLO alloy round bodied lever shocks on four corners of our 32 . Probably not the best but they are plenty adequate for a light weight highboy 32 3w . They sure look cool.
    The only let down was the ( maybe Chinese ) aftermarket rubbers on the shock link balls chewed our in 2500 miles. I had a few shocks to choose from so heated them in hot water to soften the rubber damping and gave them a test to sort out what was best. Definitely the large ones were too stiff for a light rod. Will post pics soon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

16. The Boner's seem to favor the friction shock set up over the original Ford lever style. I would love to hear how these perform in comparison to both the original Houdaille shocks, and tube shocks. I think they were running into problems as they use a pinched front, and mount them on the inside of the frame rail, and then they lengthen the lever arms to get it all to work. I hear they work better when you don't mess around with Henry's original design.

17. fatabone

fatabone

Here are the armstrongs mounted on 32 chassis.

Attached Files:

18. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am glad this thread came up. I am thinking about running some stock A shocks on my coupe project. Does anybody have any pics of some lever shocks set up on the rear?

19. 117harv

117harv

Here are some pics of the MGB's, they were used on other car makes as well. There are dozens for sale on the auction site at any given time, NOS ones can be had for $60 - $80.

Here are two different styles, one could mount on top of the frame rail, and the other to the side. I think the side mount would work best for the front. The arms would be easy to modify to fit whatever link, location and length you would need. Great solution for a vintage look and not much $$$.

Attached Files:

20. carmuts

carmuts

I don't have any pic's of the rear shocks, but always like the looks of the early 28 shock arms with the numbers on them for adjusting them. These were on my 28 rdstr pu. Rod

Attached Files:

21. Running rebuilt stockers on mine and they work great!

Attached Files:

22. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

Nice looking chassis :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. john walker

john walker

how about something that sits horizontally along the front frame? like my 49 cad rears, but smaller.

24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

They look great!

25. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As you can see there are at least 3 different sizes of the old ROTFLO shocks.
    We use the middle size one on our light 32 highboy. I believe the bigger one would be too stiff for most rods. They work well for what they are and do not require a rebuild as long as the rubber is still mobile.

Attached Files:

26. Thanks! Here is the completed car.

Attached Files:

27. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

I wouldn't kick her outta bed....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!