Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods lets see some inline 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scharleyride, Nov 18, 2016.

1. I have a project that's in the works, thinking about building a inline six. Four barrel, header But what's the stuff that need to be in the inside. What cam, pistons, rods what needs to be done to the head. Would like to make 300 hp and have a good driver. Plan to run 700R behind it. So lets see some pictures of them.

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Scale back your plans to make 300 hp or plan to run boost - turbo or supercharged. A 250 hp Ford 300 or 292 Chev can live on the street normally aspirated but will require all premium parts - hypereutectic pistons, forged rods, head work with bigger valves, rollerized valve train, etc.

4. Thanks Inked Monkey, that did not come up when I searched inline 6 but I have looked at the thread and will do some more reading,
    Frenchtown Flyer thanks I have a lot to learn on the inline 6

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

300 streetable HP not realistic unless you do what everyone else does (lie about it). But, a good 6 cylinder has plenty of power especially in a light car. Most sixes are meant for basic transportation and are very detuned this means 1) it is easy to get more power out of them but 2) the amount of extra power is limited by things like poor cylinder head design.

One exceptional engine that nobody ever mentions, is the Vortec 4200 DOHC six used in certain GM SUVs from 2002 until 2009. Their top HP rating was 291 which is pretty much what you want right there.

There should be plenty in junk yards and I doubt they are in high demand. They may even fit a 700R transmission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Atlas_engine

6. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20160802_174701.jpg my inline chevy 6 250

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg This here atta do it...

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

9. This was at Bonneville this year. JW[​IMG]

10. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

curious to know what you are putting it in, will any six work?
    What about a mopar slant 6?

11. In 1970 Chrysler in Oz released what they called a Hemi 6, originally released in 1970 as a 245 cube engine, the 1971 year brought a 215 economy version and a 265 cube version, the top street version had 302 hp......it was originally designed in the US by the Dodge Truck division, not used there so sent to be developed & released for the Oz market..........with 265 cubes it had triple 45 DCOE Webers, tube headers, head, cam and various other mods in front of a 3 speed gearbox for 1971.......known as the Valiant Charger R/T with either the E38/E39 option.....so over 300 hp is achievable........get some head work, nice cam, triple webers or large 4 barrel, headers, balanced, upgraded ignition, etc and any 230-250 or more cube six should be a good candidate for 300 neddies......or so...........andyd

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  12. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

If you're looking for lots of HP, an inline six isn't always the best choice, for lots of torque, a very good choice. Inline sixes usually make up for the lack of HP by having lots of low end and mid range torque, that's why you see so many in trucks.

loudbang likes this.
  13. I used to get Valiant 265's bored out to take 307 Chev Pistons, that gave them some power. JW

loudbang likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0525.JPG
    I have one in my shop...destined for my '38 Buick Coupe, but have not mentioned it here because it's 'not traditional'. But the 4200 is an exceptional engine. Also comes in four and five cylinder variants. All the six cylinder applications were fitted with 4L60E (700R4 derived) and 2 wheel drive models are not hard to find.

Mine is an '08 291 hp model and it is particularly appealing to me because it is an inline and will look great in the Buick in place of the original straight eight. The DOHC cam towers will have 'presence' under the long, narrow Buick hood. They were used in the Buick Rainier as well as the other GM division's versions of the SUV, so it's still "Buick" as far as I am concerned.

Ray

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  15. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Well mine ain,t no 300 hp,and is not a GM or Ford. But it's very traditional, the intake, exhaust and carbs were built by an 84 year old man, who was doing this way back in the 50s too.
    I am going to make a hotter version of this engine, hot cam, shave head , and hope to get 150-170 hp, maybe.
    But she runs and does fine...

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  16. There is a guy who has the 4200 in his '53 or '54 Sedan Delivery.
    He is very pleased with the end result.
    I have the 4200 in my '07 TrailBlazer.
    It's a real hunk of power, for only being a 6 cylinder.
    Couldn't he happier with this engine.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

OP asks a question, couldn't be bothered to tell us what kind of car or what kind of engine, just what kind of transmission he likes. What the hell, they're all the same aren't they?

He did specify "inline" six which eliminates the "flat" sixes like Subaru, Corvair and Porsche. Only about 1000 different cars used inline sixes.

loudbang likes this.
  18. scharleyride, we are in the same boat. I'm guessing you are referring to a 235 Chevy you have on one of your AD 55-59 Chevy trucks. Try these links for new parts and info-
    http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/
    http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/

I had my sights on a 261 Chevy engine that came in the bigger trucks. (sadly it sold) More horsepower and torque thru, if anything, displacement with the bigger sixes. And/or you can slide in a Howard Cam, 2x1 pot intake, and some split exhaust for your 235 relatively cheap. For more info, here's a good read-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1...t_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BXX7T59FCVFPVBV6FJJP

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1...rd_wg=AZDPP&psc=1&refRID=Q0YA1ZB8P5GH075C8HA6

I'll be hunting these same parts and motors for my suburban. I'll keep you in the loop with what I can find. There is a guy on here screen name MotherTrucker, I believe, that sells the intake and exhaust for a really good deal.

Don't forget the 250s and 292s. Seems they are easier to find here in SC. Good luck and pardon the randomness of my post. Print deadlines loom!

19. Hay thanks for all the info. I have a 1958 chevy panel truck with it's 235 and looking to see what other people have done with in line six, not just chevy but any in line six I might get a idea from.

20. RRichFox

RRichFox

When you said you wanted 300 HP I assumed you had at least a 292 Chevy 6. 235 isn't going to do it, even with boost and live. IMHO

21. trukin55

trukin55

I had a 69 Firebird "Sprint" in the early 80's. 6cyl. OHC 250 that put out 230hp, stock. It had a 4bl quad, Hurst three speed and a 411 posi. I was beating Mopar 318's no problem and having fun against the 350's that my buddies had. Anyway, It's a cool looking motor and puts out some hp. Wish I still had that car. Photo attached is not mine, Just a show of what it looks like.
    I always thought it would look cool in a ROD!!

ENGINE_1_1.jpg

mikeymike and loudbang like this.
  22. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

300 Ford is the way to go.
    Cost, horse power potential, & durability being factors.

loudbang likes this.
  23. limachine

limachine

I remember those SOHC motors. Friend of mine picked up a Ventura (I think) a few years ago with one.
    In the late 80's during the IROC Z and 5.0L Mustang boom, we were tuning 258's in the short wheelbase Jeeps and a few AMC's. What I remember was we'd go with a 30 over piston, mill the head to bring up compression, the big hi tech 3 angle valve job of the day, Crane Cam of choice (there were a few), a Clifford or Offy 4 barrel intake and dual exhaust headers (with Thrush mufflers and downspouts) running a 390 Holley with a big squirter (31 or 35 depending on gearing). Most guys had 904 Torqueflites with some minor work. Did very few Jeeps with 4 speeds, but they sometimes had trouble hooking up. They all made good power, lots of torque. A friend's Jeep had some trouble with some of the tougher Mustangs. I had an SC Hornet look alike that had no trouble with them. It's a great feeling when the guy you blew away catches up to you to ask what you're running and you tell him it's just a 6.

loudbang likes this.
  24. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This setup belongs to a friend of mine. It is in an outrageous 55 Ford mild custom 55ford033.jpg 55ford035.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  25. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

More pics of mine, and Friends 265 powered dragster

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  26. SPRINT6

SPRINT6

Well I was going to throw in my '66 OHC 6 Sprint into the mix but someone above already has ;)

ENGINE 5.jpg
    ENGINE 2.JPG

mikeymike, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  27. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Ford made the 223 for about 10 years from approx. 1954-64....

PICT0046.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  28. lebowski I love that air cleaner