Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets ruin a perfectly good stock 61 bonnieville lower and mildly restyle it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gambino_Kustoms, Jul 19, 2012.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The 8-lug wheels are a cool part of Pontiac's look during that era, but they're not attractively detailed on the car that's the subject of this thread. Here's what they ought to look like:

[​IMG]

2. Sorry, but this is wrong and so are the 8 lugs on this year.

'60-'62 had bare aluminum "short fin" drums with skinny trim rings on argent painted wheels and a totally different center cap.

This '61 has '65-'68 drums and trim rings with '63 or '64 center caps.

3. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

If I could afford it, I'd rather get to customizing than spend 6 month's fixing rust. You want a nice car? Starting with a nice car sounds like a plan to me.

4. spot

spot
    from usa

Alex, please show us more!!!!

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

61 Bonneville.....Bought it in '65 ; Best car I ever owned....... Yes, I was stupid,....sold it..........Tri Power, 8lugs, power everything.......

4TTRUK

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I didn't mean that the wheels on the red car were "correct" -- on a custom, who cares? I meant that they look good with dark centers and whitewalls, rather than the stuff on the white car.

They are great looking wheels, they are already on the car, and they belong on a Pontiac. They just need different detailing.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This thread has been cleaned up. If you are here for bone stock Pontiacs, you are wasting your time. We cut shit up here. If that's a problem, see ya later.

Please keep this thread on track. Any further bitching and I'll close the offending accounts.

8. Thanks for stepping in there. Now please, just get on with it! I'm excited.

9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

My avatar shows the quote unquote 'proper' detailing for eight lugs on a '61, but I agree - the white detailing on wheels on this car just needs to be changed to something else.

Back to the car - what are the plans for the paint? just plain white is pretty boring, they look good in red (my favorite) or blue.

10. I had no idea this was a restoration site? I thought it was for kustoms and hot rods?

11. I'll be watching this. I had a 61 Bonneville in 70, but mine was a four door and I couldn't keep a four door. Looking forward to seeing how you improve it.

12. froghawk

froghawk

'61 Pontiac two-door hardtops are among my favorite cars! Love your work! Subscribed and looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

Go ahead — fuck it up!

13. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I see you've removed the taillights - what's going in to replace them? (can someone Photoshop a set of '59 Bonneville lights on it?)

14. Paint staying white Alex or do you have something up your sleeve for that as well?

15. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I got deleted and dont know why but oh well. I like it Alex. Keep it up these kinds of builds seem to me like what guys from when these babies were new were doing. they didnt have to restore a car before any custom work was done. they simply removed what they didnt like. added what they did and gave it a stance to cmpiment the style they were after.

Thumbs up for Gambino Kustoms!

16. r7bis

r7bis

Can't wait to see what happens next.

17. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

This should be Rad!

18. chevymike

chevymike

Man, memories!!! My first car ever was a '61 Bonneville. Beat the crap out of that car and it still was driven great when I sold it. That was back in the early 80's.

19. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Awsome, when I was a kid my grandparents had a baby blue 61 bonnie that they bought brand new. Ive always wanted to build a mild kustom one. I'll be watching this one for sure.

Drew

20. Westco48

Westco48

Man what a beautiful original car...can't wait to see it cut up!!

21. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

22. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

What is The HAMB coming to? Alex does a thread and everyone crys about cutting up a car? What a bunch of tight asses. Cut that fucker up Alex

23. SUBSCRIBED!!!! I can't wait to see this build.

24. daddio211

daddio211

BRAVO! You paint-by-number guys are welcome over at www.aaca.org.

25. The white paint looks dandy, so do the wheels (as they are)- dark detail = muscle car (no thank you- pass).
    Perform the haberdashery Alex, throw on some gum dipped's and yee-ha there you are!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  26. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

Subscribed.

Have fun with it :D

27. ScottV

ScottV

So far I don't see/read anything that qualifies as F***ing it up ... I guess you could always paint it flat black with shiny red wheels ???!!!???:eek:

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Alex is my hero.....cut the living dog fuck out of it.

29. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

It's always best to start with the best car you can, duh!

30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go Alex, Go! I'm subscribed. I love bubble top Pontiacs and I think you can do something awesome with this one!