Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's have our own 84th anniversary event for the 40 ford...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have always loved louvers. I like 40 Ford hoods done in all way`s. Stock, louvered, hole in the hood for blower or injectors etc. depending on what style the car is built in. As far as the hoods being rare and expensive , I have not experienced that. Maybe I am just lucky but I see them from cheap to reasonable all the time. I louvered one that most of the guys that have seen it think was not fixable. I am afraid of very little as I have the right God given abilities to fix what seems like trash to most and have the sickness to love doing just that. I did however buy a nice unchanged extra just in case I decide to change the look later and so that when I die the next owner can do what he wants with it also. I have had thoughts of sticking a Hilborn through the hood also and if this happens in the near future, I will pull a fiberglass mold from the original and cut a hole in a fiberglass one. Always thinking ahead.

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah I like louvers also, in fact the deck lid (no hood) on my '31 "A" on '32 frame, has about 50 louvers. I just ain't sure I like louvers on a '40 hood, I guess it depends on the look you want. I understand there are no reproducyion stock '40 hoods in steel. I can buy a repro trunk lid for the "A" @ Brookville if I decide I don't like the look later on.
    I guess the scrappers haven't hit Kansas like here in GA if you're finding plentiful hoods. But here . between what were used up in stock car racing and the scrappers got later, there's not much left.

3. I remember when I was a kid in the 50's seeing older guys using them for sleds pulled behind a tow car on snowy roads with 2 or 3 guys on them.

i.rant likes this.
  4. sled.......... \'40 hood.jpg

Model T1 likes this.
  5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, and I saw them 2 welded together rear to rear in attempts of varying success to make a canoe!\But all that stuff was 50-60 years ago!

Model T1 likes this.
  6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I remember guys welding two of them together to make canoes. Wouldn't want to repeat that on a fishing forum. The thought of that becoming a trend nowdays gives me chills.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

dirty old man beat me to it ! I must be getting old and slow.

8. The hood had some hinge damage and the hood support was welded in a couple of times. I most likely wouldn't have louvered a good hood. But when you have a louver punch setting in your garage it has a magnetic pull to it when hoods are off the car!:cool:

9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I can feel it drawing me from here !

southpaw-customs likes this.
  10. BEM

BEM

11. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Gotta go to the hardware store, why not take the 40! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433528724.487982.jpg

woodz, Speed Gems, oddrod46 and 12 others like this.
  13. A brave man you are, parking right up front betwixt the "door dingers"!

Model T1 likes this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

40's are skinny because of the running boards... the other doors can't reach em!

15. Heck, hardware store, grocery store, yard waste recycle center...I'm with you!

[​IMG]

Model T1, Legends47, cvstl and 7 others like this.
  16. Hugh in NC2

Hugh in NC2

[​IMG]

The photo on the left is my wife and daughter in 1972. The photo on the right is my wife and my granddaughter in 2012. Same car, same wife.
    [​IMG]

Hugh

17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

[​IMG]

The photo on the left is my wife and daughter in 1972. The photo on the right is my wife and my granddaughter in 2012. Same car, same wife.
    [​IMG]

Hugh[/QUOTE] Precious cargo there !

18. After nearly 35 years sitting, rotting and waiting behind my parent's garage, exposed to the elements the whole time, one '40 tudor got pulled and pushed onto a trailer today to begin its journey to a new, enclosed shelter where I hope to start correcting the neglect that's been visited upon it for decades. It started out as a Standard, but when I first got it it had a Deluxe hood and grille; found a Standard hood but didn't get the Deluxe grille panels swapped out. I got it as a shell with no engine, transmission, dash or other goodies - it didn't even have the brake/clutch pedals.
    40-move-06-05-15.jpg
    The last time it moved was when I pushed it behind the garage to get it out of sight of the village officials that declared it a "nuisance" and wanted to have it towed away in 1980. I put a slight crease in the rear deck lid with my father's Ford 2N tractor getting it into position. Over time it sank into the ground, glass broken out, tires rotted, and the floor pan in front of the rear seat rusted out. At least I had a flathead and transmission stored inside, which I still need to haul to my place.
    DSC09376.jpg
    If only the driver's rear wheel wasn't frozen so that it could move without the roller skate...now to order a floor pan, replace the trunk floor and chain box/rear pan, find original bumpers so I can install original wingtips, Deluxe window garnish, hood/grille trim, shocks, emergency brake handle assembly and a banjo rear end that isn't seized up.
    DSC09380.jpg
    What really sucked is that I had all the parts to put it back together, but sold most of them off 7 years ago because I moved from Kansas City to Omaha and didn't think I'd have a place at the time to store it once I relocated. Little did I know that after I sold most of the parts I got a place with a building to store it in (ugh). Better late than never to get it to where I can actually do something with it now.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    40FordDeluxe, enloe, Model T1 and 6 others like this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Saturday means coffee with the boys, and yes the clock works!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433588993.872234.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433589006.662681.jpg

20. My clock doesn't work, but it's always set to a few minutes after 5:00, because when I am behind the wheel, ain't NO work happening!

Sancho and Moriarity like this.
  21. QueenCityRiot2015-antisocial.jpg
    Here's a shot of my '40 stake truck, from this morning, at the Queen City Riot car show in Springfield, MO. I guess my "anti-social" parking skills took control of me, as I parked away from the other cars, down under the shade trees.

22. 40fordconvt

40fordconvt

23. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

A friend has owned this 40 since 1998, been sitting in his garage. He has had a 40 Merc and a 40 stakebed pu built by a friend into pretty traditional vehicles [ in appearance] who will do this also. I would be tempted to just freshen it up, but it does have some issues. After stripping it may have more. But it is his car. Nice 40 to start with for sure. 100_9204.JPG 100_9202.JPG 100_9203.JPG

24. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Here is the body of my current 40 sedan build fresh from the best darn sandblaster around. The body turned out to be even better than I thought it was. Me happy! 100_9199.JPG 100_9197.JPG

25. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433705113.542650.jpg here's how mine sits now! Getting ready for engine upgrade, just swapped to 37-9 doors-I like the one piece glass myself but also HATE cutting stuff unless absolutely necessary. Get the 383 running then worry about glass!

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

pretty good question, the car was last painted in the '60's, long before I owned it

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. Looks like Mandarin Maroon to me..........or some variant thereof.:D

28. I think that I would be in the "freshen up" and an altitude adjustment camp with you.

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The jambs were never painted, in this hood off pic you can see the orig maroon on the firewall ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433771622.747470.jpg