Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods LET'S CRITIQUE WHEELS - New Repro Wheels that do or don't

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Yep.

2. bathcollector

bathcollector

I didn't know Halibrand made 10 spoke wheels. When were they done ?

3. slowmotion

slowmotion

Wildroot
    Halibrands
    and I'll take Charlie Weaver for the block.....
    WTF was this thread about anyways?

lurker mick and wraymen like this.
  4. I wonder when American Racing went to conical lug nuts from the shank style. My 60 Chevy has a set of the first reissues Torque Thrust D's...they use a shank style lug nut..

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

falcongeorge likes this.
  5. Clik

Clik

The way these guys spell, that shit goes right over their head. Spoken from a P.G. Co. dropout ;)

Nailhead Jason, Just Gary and wraymen like this.
  6. Go Wildcats!
    iuPRDN095I.jpg

7. Clik

Clik

I don't think any track ever allowed hub caps, did they? So, it just wasn't a performance look.

Larry T likes this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That's a very good question I have wondered that myself. A friend of mine bought a new set of American Torq-thrust D's when they were first re-issued after they had been OOP, I want to say that was around 1995?? and they still had the shank style nuts, so its pretty recent.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

?? I kind of thought we were building late fifties hot rods, not race cars. I know that line gets blurred by the neo-traditionalists, but...

10. Clik

Clik

I saw a write up somewhere on a company I can't remember (Ain't I a big help) that will anodize your wheels to give them the magnesium look. For the guys who don't like the shine you could bead blast them.

11. Clik

Clik

Just pointing out that it was more of a Custom look than a Hot Rod look. I certainly wasn't saying that hubcaps weren't traditional.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I really don't know WHAT I could have been thinking^^I will be sure and keep that in mind...
    0202sr_miles01_z.jpg 400px-George-sein-1932-ford-flamer45.jpg 2060.jpg 58897-1237766017-4b998baccd2c0e550b516a1a0ae02aaf.jpg 422685_3496707220263_1349097701_3382002_1063653167_n.jpg 11218480_10154059164922290_3831989721632133819_n.jpg 354276743_5y4Kh-L.jpg 401039609.jpg andy_zpsfe770d11.jpg aves2.jpg b3.jpg bud19.jpg caps.jpg CARL TJORHOM.jpg

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We had a pair of the aluminum ones on our dragster, one thing different in appearance from the originals, was the centers were thicker. And as you and Roo noted, they do have a slightly different cast in the color. Untitled-21.jpg

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Your gonna hafta start being a little sweeter if your gonna have that avatar,:oops: No offense but I could handle your cocky remarks a little better when you had your old tough guy one.......Dont body slam me too hard for this:eek:....:D

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

We were actually talking and laughing about this at Ocean Park today with a couple guys, some of whom have known me for decades, really, I am just a big ol' pussycat if you get to know me in person, its just that on the computer, you cant see the big shiteatin grin as I'm typing...:D
    But I do wish guys would stop trying to re-write the history to suit the modern vision.

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

See "falcongeorge"'s post, # 162- BINGO ( and thankyou)
    I was getting kind of confused too when everyone started talking about "Brylcream", but I guess that's better than "K-Y".

wicarnut and slowmotion like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty, in the early 90's, before I narrowed the rearend in my 66 Suburban, I had 8 inch Halibrands on the back and IIRC they were still in Santee at the time.
    Ultimately, I narrowed the rear 12", then ordered these 15 x 12's just after they moved to Kansas. I (think) the thick centers started when the new bunch started offering more backspace options. See the shaded backspace (hub) in the casting in the last photo.

20160910_165247.jpg 20160910_172213.jpg 20160910_172249.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    wicarnut likes this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a really weird Halibrand story, swear this is the truth this was around 1975 or 76. I was in Mission one evening about 6 pm after the drags, and I see this '63ish ford pickup, oxidized red paint, a camper shell, and honest to god peanut hole Halibrands on it, 4 holes on the back, five holes on the front, just like the SWC willys or something. That was a strange thing to see even in the seventies. Really just looked like a kind of beaterish old ford PU, with these oxidized magnesium Hali's on it.

19. Clik

Clik

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:rolleyes::p

21. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

And right about here was when I knew this response was going to be good

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reminds me of this 65 F100 with a full set of American Standards!

65 F100 blue standards.jpg

falcongeorge likes this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't give you when but when I bought mine this year with the conicles this what the tire guy said. Too many were being put on incorrectly either buy having the shanks too long not being tight, no threads up inside the nut only on the shank (cheap) causing nut breakage, or improperly torquing which broke the stud. ( ez to do because of the leverage). It was a "government " deal. I still don't like steel against the aluminum but the better Gorilla lug nut with the extended shank make me feel better about centering and strength.

need louvers ? likes this.
  24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya hit the nail right square on the head. that was the purpose behind the weirdly thick centers on the last true Halibrand wheels. They could shave the pad down and get three or four different back spaces per wheel.

I just found my old "dealer kit" from the mid ninties with that sheet in it. I sold mostly at swaps and such, but would come out and measure and figure back spaces and tires sizes for free on sight. I did pretty well for a few years there, then Halibrand went sideways...

Von MoPar likes this.
  25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ran out or possibly sold. At the very tail end there, it seemed like a scramble to make a buck off anything they could to stay afloat. They screwed a bunch of us that were dealers by taking money for wheels and never filling the orders. I had to stand for two sets of wheels to customers that were paid in full, but never delivered to me.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nice...:rolleyes::mad: Chip, You should check this out...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/ocean-park-2016.1032542/#post-11690165

27. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Back in the early 80s, my brother gave me a set of American Racing mags that he bought back in the late 60s. At the time, I had a 57 Chevy 2 door sedan, jacked up with 15x10s Cragars out back. I needed some front wheels so he let me use the ARs. The only problem was that there were no lug nuts and they used the shank style nuts. So I bought some that I thought would work, drove the car for about a year , when wheel studs, all of them, on the driver's side broke and wheel rolled of the car, while I was driving. Thankfully, I was driving at a slow speed at the time and traffic was nothing like it is today. So, basically, just had broken studs and a bent A arm.

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

So, I see you had some of the dealer packet stuff too! I wasn't the only fool left holding the bag when that particular ship hit that particular ice berg!

The ya gotta bring up Sweet Swirls! Arghhhhh! Right at the end I had a customer actually WANT a set of them, and i gave him the number of a dealer in California! Sorry, as hungry as i was then, i wasn't put on this earth to sell something that ugly! Still not! And yes, my reaction was the same on seeing them, thinking Ted was doin' 360s...

But as ugly as the wheels were, remember the matching steering wheels?

falcongeorge likes this.
  29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

falcongeorge likes this.
  30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You know whats really funny? the other T with the fenders there was built by a local guy who cast the trick parts on the pink one, Gary Lang. So this is where it really gets weird. Today I went to a swap, bought a big stack of magazines with a bunch of early Street Rod issues. So I get home with these, sit down and flip through them, and in the Feb '73 issue, the one with Seth Hammonds T slinging the dirt roostertail on the cover, theres an article on Langs T roadster! I should scan it later and add it to your full-fendered T thread.

need louvers ? likes this.