Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lets build a crate HiPo SBC from the 1960s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Aug 25, 2020.

1. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Budget...we don't need no steeeenking budget!

2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Although I could build the prescribed engine here on a pretty tight budget. getting to Japan ? anyone's guess...

31hotrodguy likes this.
  3. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! Which intake is that you went with ultimately?

4. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The entire car will be shipped over in one piece close to completion :) It has to arrive that way with engine in it so it can be registered here.

31hotrodguy, lumpy 63 and Tickety Boo like this.
  5. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Actually, this is not my car. I read somewhere in his log that he went with the factory 300 horsepower intake manifold.

panhead_pete likes this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just a random number. A lot of the builders can get that out of the 434 CID stokers. 331 takes a lot more money and it then becomes a dedicated track car.

47chevycoupe and pwmcx95 like this.
  7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Here is an ad out of a Jegs catalog that might be worth considering. I don't have much experience with Jegs. I usually deal with Summitt Racing (summitracing.com) and they carry Blueprint also. There are some things you should consider. First is what company to deal with AND how you will pay for it. My recommendation is to buy from Summit because they are a large company as far as hot rod parts go. They have been around a long time, have a tech department, and are known to provide good customer service. While fancy ads on the internet may look like a company is a great source, often they are not. I recently dealt with a company that had been around a while but had changed ownership. They had a nice internet ad. Boy was that a mistake. My understanding is that the owner is a known con artist and the business is either closing/or in dire straights. There is one customer still waiting after a couple years for his custom built ($11K ?) engine. The company simply started a new business under another name. You have to be careful who you deal with even when you live here in America.
    The second part of the equation is "How to Pay". I recommend you establish a "Paypal" account where you either deposit money ahead of time or back up your purchase with a credit card. This gives you someone who will fight for you if the product you purchase is problematic. When I dealt with the company I mentioned above, they lied to me about my $2700 purchase of aluminum heads. This went on for over two months. I contacted Paypal and they looked into it. Refunded my whole $2700. So this method of buying and paying will provide you with the ability to get a good product and insure that if there is a problem......either Summit or Paypal/or both will make it right.

Second reason to purchase something complete is that if you have a problem later, questions will arise about how you finished assembling the engine and whether you may be at fault for the problem. You can always change things later if you want period correctness, but thats after the engine is broken in and proven reliable. The parts you remove should bring good prices in Japan and offset the cost of any changes you might make.

Third. Buying compatible parts pieces and gaskets can be frustrating and while you are waiting on these small parts, your warranty is running out. You want something you can immediately install in your car when it arrives, and there is no question who is at fault if something is wrong. Being so far away you really need to protect yourself, and I assure you that having someone who can insure you don't get screwed is the best way to go.

So here is the ad. If its not what you want, contact Summit directly and they can probably get you what you want.

Note: If you haven't had a Chevy before, the one piece seal in the later versions is a BIG improvement for stopping oil leaks.....and the roller cams are much better too.
    Jegs Engines 1 001.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  8. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cheers, thanks for the info and advice. Ive been buying bikes, cars and parts from the US for many years (reasonably successfully) although search 'Paul Webster and my user name for one particular expensive lesson. :( Paypal and a few other options are all set up.

The crate you pictured above is what actually got me started on this thread. Its great except for the heads, valve covers, intake, carb and huge HEI. ;)

I do definitely agree though re a preference to buy something as complete as possible and my strong preference is to work with a crate supplier to do something new but making something (look) old lol.

How old is that JEGS ad? All the prices I can see online are 10% higher.

Thanks
    Pete

31hotrodguy likes this.
  9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

"The entire car will be shipped over in one piece close to completion :) It has to arrive that way with engine in it so it can be registered here."
    Just curious, what general location (be as specific as you want or don't want) is this project being built?

31hotrodguy and panhead_pete like this.
  10. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At this time in the north east but that needs to be confirmed.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

Summit has blocks, with crank and pistons only...nothing else.

panhead_pete likes this.
  12. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am indeed, trying to keep it real cost wise and HP/Torque wise. For years my life mantra was 'too much is never enough', now its not. Just so many options when you spend just a little bit more, then a little more, then a little more..... Its a slippery slope but ultimately the car will have drum brakes and bias tyres so need to keep it real :)

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Competition Products is another company with a long history of supplying aftermarket parts. They have stood behind them like Summit. I deal with both in confidence. It’s great to see when is a return that a mailing slip/label arrives in the mail for a free return.

panhead_pete likes this.
  14. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio