Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Build a 265 Chevy V8!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Nov 9, 2009.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I have an Engle roller cam in my 283 that I am thinking about stuffing in my 39 this weekend.

2. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I will try and you tube it so you can hear it after it is in. I am not 100% sure which cam it is either I will try and find the information I have written down on it

3. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Oh yeah did you receive the transmissions?

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Is that a vintage cam??? I would love to hear how it sounds for sure!!! More then the sound I'm really interested in getting this little motor dialed in a working properly all while using the appropriate vintage or period pieces. So I guess what I am saying is the best running engine for 1957!!!

Any idea when the Weiand WC4D came out??? Also any help on where to buy a 097 setup would be great!!!!

trad27 likes this.
  5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Bump for some places to order an 097 Cam????

6. Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I actually did remember that Bib!!! I'm going to paint this SOB a dark maroon like '48 Ford Maroon. I think it'll look better in the all black cradle that is being prepped.

097 anyone? Where do you buy one?

8. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

I've been watching your thread with great interest as I have been planning on building a 1955 265 with the same goal in mind. Anyway here is some info I saved on the 097 cam that I was intending to use as well...

The original "097" Duntov cam (P/N 3736097, casting #3736098) had 228* intake and 230* exhaust duration @.050", .394" intake and .400" exhaust gross lift (with 1.5:1 stock rockers), and 108* lobe separation. The Speed-Pro/Federal-Mogul/ Sealed Power #CS-113R is a blueprint duplicate of the original.

It uses ordinary stock valve springs - GM #3911068 or Federal-Mogul #VS-677; 80# closed, 200# open at 1.25".

If I remember correctly CarQuest was the source I found locally that could order it. That was a year or so ago. Keep us posted.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Did you try a local parts place, sealed power probably makes one, i got my L79 at napa, next day

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Federal Mogal makes one I am pretty sure. I really had no idea that I could get that shit at NAPA!!! Silly me!!! So you guys wouldn't go with the ebay guys????

I'll see what I come up with.

11. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I would not bore it .125,its a waste and will only run hot..030 or so is plenty to clean it up.Put a little Duntov 097 solid lifter cam and a set of pp heads eith 3 2s or 2 4s and you will have a nice little engine .My 2 cents:D

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks man but it's already punched out .125" and is awaiting the 097 cam. I also have 4 two's instead of 2 four's so I guess I am batting a thousand haha!!!

My friend has a number of 265's punched out to 283 and they all run cool so that's why I trusted him to do so. The motor actually was .40 over to begin with.

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

This is a great thread JJ, you're an asset to the HAMB. A 265 is a consideration for my 27 Roadster depending on what era I go with and this thread completely delves into all the questions I would want answered.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to add to this thread other than thanks.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Brent I think that would be an awesome choice for your roadster!!!! I'm not sure if I'm an asset but I will tell you that I hardly know anything so I have a lot of questions to ask. If that helps others then that's awesome!!! But really I'm just a moron.

Have you checked out the Proof Is In The Pudding thread I started???? Awesome examples of early Chevy V8's!!!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430018

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just fired my 57 283 with FI and solids--the cam is an o97 copy by Elgin--E900P is the number--runs very well so far--nothing wrong with an 097--much better street choice than a 30-30 in a small mtr--have installed this cam in a 56 265 with a single factory 4 bbl and it ran very well on the street too-had the same cam in a 62 340HP 327--only had to adjust a few times over the years--it seems factory solid cams stay in adjustment pretty well from my experience

the specs on the Elgin cam are about what chopped sled said
    lift-.395 intake,.401 exhaust-duration at .050 is 228 intake, 230 exhaust, lobe centers 108 intake, 112 exhaust-12 and 18 lash
    just my 2 cents

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  16. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did my '56 265 back in the 70's with a .125 overbore. I went with my favorite (L79) cam, part number 3863151, an old Corvette dual quad set-up and the stock distributor. It was a wicked little mouse motor, and the only regret I have is not knowing how to change the oiling set-up that 6-volt posted. I didn't have any heating issues and I talked to the guy I sold it to back in the 80's a couple weeks ago, and it is supposedly still going strong.

I'm doing a '59 283 for a T project to be dressed out like it was freshly "stolen" from an early Vette. I'm going to use the early 283 distributor with the "flip top" oil tube in back, along with the Vette ignition shields and early Staggered bolt Valve covers. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one interested in the early small block "look". I can't wait for some pictures of your completed engine.

17. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

LOL, Man I mean thats right!! I helped get a '66 Hemi Belvedere going and sold. It sounded like NO OIL PRESSURE!!!

18. Shookie

Shookie

Have a solid lifter cam from a 283 (60,s) and a set of solid lifters, but one is bad out of the 16. can E-mail pics. $ 150.00 + 20.00 shipping.
    [email protected]

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

He wants Flowers on my motor Brett. Listen Josh, Jeffy Cakes don't get down with flowers on Motors!!!!

I have a set of Corvette Valve covers for the motor already. Not Chromed but I am not sure anything will be. I am blasting all the aluminum with a special medium so it looks brand spanking new. I'll do the intake and valve covers like that, the motor will get painted '48 Ford Maroon, odds & ends will be matte black and the bases on the carbs will be gloss black. I think it'll be a pretty rad motor when all is said and done.

Although i am not putting it next to yours Josh any time soon. I actually am scared of yours.

20. Missed the petunias! THAT's funny right there!

21. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

my first hot rod engine build
    I bought a 56 chevy ex orange grove fan engine, in 1956.
    was working at a old auto parts store and was able to get parts at SUPER prices.

parts I got. 10.5/ 1/8 over Merryman Pistons, Duntov 30/30 cam,an lifters,modified cam for 265, [ground slot in rear cam brg.with hand grinder], 56 corvette dist.,corvette bearings,used hedman hedders,new scheifer alum flywheel, corvette dual quads, bored block 1/8, to 283 cuin,used modified heads from a chevy dragster [caddy valves], had it all balanced, then assembled it at jr.college. that was in 1958. During my stint in the Navy I sold it to a buddy in need, [not one of my best ideas]. later when i got out he let me drive his 56 Chevy 4 door hrdtp. First time I drove it , I realized what a mistake i made, engine sounded rad, hauled ass with 3 speed trans. Found second carb wasnt opening, fix linkage, it REALLY HAULED! sure wished I hadnt sold that motor.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow that's awesome!!! Sounds like the hot setup for sure.

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

ALRIGHT LET ME ASK YOU THIS!!!!

One company has their 097 advertised as.....

1 NEW CAST IRON FLAT TAPPET SOLID LIFTER SPEED PRO CAM
    228 DEG INTAKE [email protected]", 230 DEG EXHAUST DURATION @ .050"
    .398" INTAKE LIFT, .401" EXHAUST 112 LOBE CENTERS
    .012" INTAKE LASH .018" EXHAUST LASH

Another has theirs as....

Specs are 230'@.050, 287' advertised, .393 in X .399 ex lift, 112' separation, lash is .012 & .018. Exact same grind used on the #098 GM core / part #097 but we use a new CMC core.

WHy are they not the same?? Will it make much of a difference? I was going to order the second one today as a kit with new lifters and springs.

24. More info or a photo?

25. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Anybody have an idea on those two Cams?????

27. Jeffrey do they give you any idea on what the operating rpm range is on either of the cams? They are so close to each other I doubt you'll ever know the difference. I'd pick the one with the lower RPM operating range for torque.

I was serious about those Chromed vette valve covers! Those are cool as hell even with the flowers. You'll be sorry if you let those go by. I had mine chromed and the chroming alone was more than that. They clean so easy!!

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Both said good power between 2-6000 rpms. One of them said that it will rev nicely over 6000 too. Both are advertising the same exact Cam but their numbers are different. Weird right? They both also said very streetable unlike the 3030 cam.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As far as those Valve covers go, yeah I totally would run them fuckers with the flowers on them and all. I just am not seeing chrome valve covers on this engine. I am going for a different look then everything polished etc. I like the texture of freshly blasted Aluminum like on the intake and valve covers. I am going to give it a nice coat of Gibbs once they are blasted to keep them clean.

On top of that, I have bought two sets of Corvette valve covers in the last 6 months. One set when I was running a 350 and another now that I am running the 265. Can't see myself buying yet another. But if you are getting killed on Chrome we might have the guy for ya up here. There is a guy Del knows that does it out of his back yard or something and does this shit cheap!!!!! Steering column...$100, Sissy Bar......$85. Pm him for some info.