Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Build a 265 Chevy V8!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Nov 9, 2009.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Front left on the intake. Now, the 55 265 was at the left REAR, and those 4 barrel intakes are RARE; a one year only item. Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I already have 283 slugs in my 265 but thanks!!! Good thinking on keeping the 265 around, they're just plain cool engines!

Damn it! Well I guess that's not going to help. I'm using a Weiand 4x2 intake and the bungs are up front on passenger side. That temp sending unit will never reach that far so I think I am going to have to machine (and when I say me I mean my friend Jeremy since it's over my head) a spacer that sits below the water neck and thermostat so the sending unit can be plugged in on it's side up front. If it's not one thing it's another....

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Stop poking your damn nose into my bidness D-Russ!!!! Get off my shit!! :D:D

I'll never tell!!! Actually you'll get a video of the startup once Jalopyrama is over with. Right now there is so much left to do an only 8.5 days left to do it. You would shit if you seen the car right now and my garage.....and not shit in a good way either, wait is there a good way?

The Iron Lords shall prevail!!!

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Damn it! Well I guess that's not going to help. I'm using a Weiand 4x2 intake and the bungs are up front on passenger side. That temp sending unit will never reach that far so I think I am going to have to machine (and when I say me I mean my friend Jeremy since it's over my head) a spacer that sits below the water neck and thermostat so the sending unit can be plugged in on it's side up front. If it's not one thing it's another....[/QUOTE]

The second pic show the boss where you can drill and tap for a rear to the left side sending unit to be placed. Just saying. Details Details

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Well that picture just did it for me. I got a 1956 sitting on the floor in my shop with a cast iron 'glide. Now I gotta a build this little F'er !!!. Thanks for doing all the hard work Jeffrey James. Now to find the right pieces....

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

The rear cam bearing journal is the big deal if you upgrade cam you must grind a notch like the orignal and distributer or no oil the the upper end.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thank you everybody for the help! I wanna see more of these things being built!!

Attached Files:

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That is super purty J.J.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks man but I owe a lot to you guys for the help and support.

I did grind a notch on my Duntov 097 cam but I didn't have to when using the Mallory Dual Point that I did. It seems to have a notch in it all the way around which allows for the oil to be sent up to the rockers.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks Jeff! Uncle Max did my carbs, Dickster did the linkage and I had a crack head do the chrome!!! I think I may have leaned the engine out because the back of the chrome exhaust manifold turned almost black. That could be the chromer or my fault. It also may have been that I set my gaps on my spark plug at 20 instead of 35. Not sure but I need to figure that out because it looks like shit! Bluing is ok but turd brow is kinda gross. :D

11. Where's the vid son?!

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yea.where is the vid?....c'mon........

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here's some video when we were tuning in the carbs and such. It's not great but proof that it runs haha!!! You can see my wife in the midst trying to sew the upholstery together before Jalopyrama. This was Tuesday and we left for MD on Friday. Busy week for sure.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S2nXVqcQkIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Joe King

Joe King

I put a 55 265 in my ole truck, don't know much about it. I bought it rebuilt. I do know it sat for a few years on the oil pan and apparently they don't have much clearance so when I started it up it had a knocking sound that drove me crazy trying to find. The pan looked fine but pushed in enough to get in the way.

[​IMG]

15. Sweet JJ! rappety rappety rappety!

Cool truck Joe!

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That sound comes from 1.75" pipes ran straight out the back. Wanted Porters but just couldn't swing them this year. Maybe next if I get sick of hearing the Turbofire through straight duals.

Thanks Cactus, I appreciate it dude!

17. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

[​IMG]

Sounds GREAT, Jeff!!:D

18. titus

titus

you said two different things in this reply, the cam needs to be notched like you did in order to get oil to the lifters, or not notched and a modified rear oil gally hole and newer style cam bearing,basically the oil galleys arent "full pressure" just intermitten the distributor doesnt really have anything to do with the oiling, they just complete the oil galley the deal with the distributor is that you can just a newer style distp in any spot where as the original distributor has to be in the correct spot to complete the oil passage, also you not supose to use the original distributor if you update to the new cam/oil galley mod/newer cam bearing because the full pressure will fill the oild style distributor full of oil.(under the cap!)

just to clarify.

and your motor looks awsome, glad your posting some pics again.

19. Biothree

Biothree

I was a senior in high school when my Dad bought a '56 Bel Air, standard shift, power pack, four door. At 62 miles I out ran the fastest '55 in town that had 3 duces. I out ran everything (56 corvette with 2 -4's, '56 stick shift Century Buick, '56 Pontiac, numerious Fords) until the '57's came out. I out ran all the motorcycles except for a Harley Sportster and an Ariel square four. Something about that car ...... I often beat other '56's by 5 car lengths. It was like being a fast gun in the old west, everyone including out-of-towner's wanted to try me.
    One friend with a '55 keep trying things on his engine and I remember that he installed an Iskenderian E-3 cam. I don't know the specs, just remember the cam. His car had overdrive and he broke several shift levels shifting to second without the clutch.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Sorry I modified the cam with a notch like the original is. However I did not notch the distributer because the vintage Mallory Dual point does not need it like you said when I PM'd you. It looks like the Mallory distributer has a notch all the way around it which allows it to act like the original Distributer.

I didn't not update the block like Bass did on his 265 just kept it basic and simple and followed the original idea. Does that make sense? I may have did it wrong haha!!! The oil does in fact reach the rockers so I think I'm good. Everything looked good when I rechecked my lifter lash to 14 and 20. Oil was getting there well.

Thanks for everything guys!

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Slickwilly that's too funny!!!

However I still have yet to drive the damn thing. Fighting brakes....

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There were actually TWO sets of dual quad set-ups for 1956. Those numbers are for the LATE 56, and are BETTER than the EARLY set-up. The EARLY set-up used the #5306 heads (also used on ALL 4 barrel engines in 56), and a #3728725 intake; both the heads and intake have extremely small ports, but also have the smallest Power Pack chambers at 56cc. This is the set-up I have, only "someone" port matched the intake to fit larger port heads (ruining the value). Also, as I understand it, the 56 dual quad engines used a 2 bolt flange on the rams horn exhaust manifolds, and are impossible to find. I too was building a 265, but most of my plan has fallen apart. I was going to use a Canadian, 4-bolt, 305 block, and bore it .014 over to standard 265 specs. The block wound up missing the main caps, was thoroughly rusted, and had a deep ridge in the tops of the cylinders; it was supposed to be a "perfect" block. The crank I have is a 68-69 #1178 302 crank (3.00" stroke). The pistons I bought, and planned to use, turned out to be Thompson, forged, SEMI-FINISHED, domed pistons. I found a place to do the finish grinding.....for $400.00; so I sent the pistons back for a refund. I have'nt given up completely yet, I still have the EARLY dual quad intake, and a just finished pair of #5306 heads. I had all new valves, springs, retainers, and keepers installed, along with 1.84 intake valves and screw in studs (not the shouldered type). So, unless a complete 265 short block, or a 305 roller short block "falls' into my lap, my 265 dream will remain just that, a dream. Butch/56sedandelivery.

23. titus

titus

You did it all correctly, i was just explaining the mods and whats done for what reason.

the distributor just conpletes the oil passage, if you have the original distributor you just have to have it in the correct spot. thats all i was getting at. theres no mods needed to the distributor.

24. pure awesomeness. That thing sounds great. congrats JJ

25. It's alive. Looks and sounds great. Let hear her idling when you get a chance. I want a ride too!

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks again guys, it's nice to hear such nice words as opposed to that Sasquatch Chris and LazyV8 dogging on my choice of engine for this car haha!!! They're just jealous. :D

I'll get some video of the idle when I get it out and about. I'll try to put together a better video of everything.

27. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Sounds awesome! Put my name on the list for a ride in the wizard when it gets rolling.

28. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

looks really nice, sounds good

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks I guess it was worth all the effort of fooling everybody into thinking it was in fact a 265.:D

You got it bud!!! At my rate you might have to wait 'til spring!

Thanks EC. That means a lot coming from a Engine "wizard". Haha!!!

I'll try to get a good video of it idling and driving before the new year.

Anybody else have a 265 in the works?

30. I'm working on a guy to sell me his latest 55 take-out! 265/PG just sittin' in the garage floor. Keep asking if he's sold it yet, and to let me know if he wants to "get rid of it".