Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's be honest here, prior to your HAMB life what era were you into?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Jan 22, 2019.

1. butch27

butch27

ALWAYS been a "buckethead..

2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

1970's Street machines, drag racing and Van's. 1980's Vans, 4x4's Pro street, 1990's Pro street , Street rods, Customs, 2000's Pro touring and hot rods and customs. Now I have gone back to my insperations of my youth before I turned 16 in 1971 so my cars have a heavy mid 60's drag car influence but with mild to wild custom body and paint work. So when it is finished my 51 will not wear skirts but it will have pie crusts and mag wheels! Larry

Hombre likes this.
  3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I like them all.
    30’s through 70’s.
    Pre HAMB and HAMB now.
    Hot Rods, Custom Cars and Muscle Cars.
    Show cars or drivers.
    Some more than others for sure.
    Has to have a look - sit right - attitude.

I've become ( over the years ) more of a preserver of history type cars ( as long as they are safe and not too much deterioration - like rotten/ broken frames, axles suspension etc. ).
    Has to be safe.
    Paint you can buff out - and what's a little faded paint or a scratch or two here and there.
    Original Engines with paint by oil film ( can't buy that in a can ) it's natural.

Original once Hot Rods or Customs from 50 - 70 years ago and early 60's to early 70's Muscle Cars preserve them as long as possible for me.

Latigo likes this.
  4. pnevells

pnevells

Born 1953, always a car guy, then they built a drag strip across the field from my house as a kid, hoplessly addicted to open cockpit drag cars ever since, raced a series of gas dragsters and now a HAMB friendly nostalgia altered with my son
    ESCAPE MAPLE GROVE.jpg DSC_0362 edited.JPG

5. alanp561 and Surfcityrocker like this.
  6. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! You and I must have about the same photo collection!
    So years down the road, will someone post pictures of one of those cars they just rescued from a storage pod (barns could be obsolete by then!) and will folks on an internet forum tell them what a cool survivor that is, to not change a thing, to preserve the faded monochomatic pastel paint? Will people at swap meets be snapping up all the vintage modular wheels and could restoration places be selling reproduction tweed upholstery material? :D:rolleyes::eek:
    Interesting reading here. To the OP's question, I personally started out with O/T VW's. Built a glass bodied dune buggy in high school. I still like that stuff, but I really dig traditional hot rods and customs and this sure seems to be the best place to find them!.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Everyone has their happy place.....

Moriarity likes this.
  8. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Born In 69 . Growing up dad always had cool old stuff and Victoria B.C has always been crawling in cool old cars . My first memories were of a local kid driving around my neighborhood in an impala covered in flames and a green hot rod I was too young to even know what it was , those first wild cars you see have such and impact . I have and uncle when I was about 10 who built a pro street pinto with a 302 and a tunnel ram I loved when he would take me for a burn. Around 85 when I turned 16 there was all kinds of burnt out old 60s and 70s stuff laying around my first car was a cherry 65 Corvair Corsa I bought for 800.00 bucks . Drove it for a few months and spotted a beat up 65 mustang fastback up on blocks in some guys driveway he straight traded me , he couldn’t believe some one would trade a running car for a non running car . It was a disk brake 4 speed car I fixed it up a bit and traded it plus a small amount of money for a 67 firebird 400 convertible drove it all through high school plus a few years after. After that I started a family and a business bought a house and I didn’t have another old car for 15 years -early 2000s- in that 15 years all those cars that had been just laying around where now all prized possessions. A few months ago I took my car to a local cruise night and it started to drizzle rain everyone ran and jumped in their cars and took off as if their cars where made of soap and would dissolve . How things have changed .

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  9. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

68 model from NorCal here. Early teen car lust was VW's, particularly the slammed, Cal Look examples. After the realization that a turbo 2180 capable of beating the V-8 cars was going to cost many times what the kid in the SBC Camaro was going to spend, I switched to 60's muscle - primarily Pontiacs. Of course back in the mid 80's, GTO's and first gen Birds could be found all day long for less than a grand and I bought a bunch over the years. Was equally interested in perfect restorations as well as street machines. The classic look of a GM A body sitting a little low on 15x8 and 15x3.5 Weld Draglites is burned in a warm spot in my heart. Still am into the 60's street machines and a 63 Pontiac Catalina is waiting for my attention along with my Dads old Deuce roadster.

But airplanes are taking all of my time and money now and that needs to change before I get too old to get to the cars.

10. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Building wooden sailboats
    Love the old stuff and the smell of pine tar
    Living in Southwest Ohio is not a great location for sailing
    So I went back to my old school day hobby. My woodworking skills sure help out working on my fordor

11. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the tractor in my avatar tells it all .

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D I`m a 1945 model.Just about anything that looks sharp and goes fast and sounds great..Be it automotive,marine or aircraft.My first car was a 53 Studebaker Champion.And had several old ones after that.Love almost all types of racing.Sounds and smells of the track are great.I guess my three favorite engines for great sound would have to be the Rolls Royce Merlin V12,Allison V12 and the PW R2800 radial.So sweet on a low level pass at WOT.Have ya ever hear the R2800 at idle?Sounds like a cammed up big block on steroids.To me anyway.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

13. Latigo

Latigo

I’m a 1950 vintage. Grew up in the American Grafitti meets Mayberry in central Iowa. In my teens, the mid 60’s to early 70’s was an amazing time. Street rods, muscle cars, hot rods and good music, anything goes. Old iron was cheap and horsepower was king. Run what ya brung. Lots of stop light challenges on third avenue in Marshalltown. No bling to speak of. Primer, horsepower and open headers ruled the night. Top off a Friday night with a bag of Henry’s hamburgers (.15 each) or a Taylor’s Maidrite and life was good.

OLSKOOL57 and Roothawg like this.
  14. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Hookers and 8 balls. No, wait, I read that wrong. Restored Muscle Cars, mid-60s to early 70s. Yep, That Was what I was doin.

alanp561 likes this.
  15. Honest Clarkie

Honest Clarkie

16. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Born 1947 - High school early to mid 60’s. Had 2 1955 Chevy 210 2Dr Sedans. 1 had 265/3spd. In 1965 my senior yr. I got another 210 2Dr. with a 348/3 spd.,tore up about 3 transmissions. That was the car I miss the most and cemented my love for the 60’s style of tri fives. Drafted 1966,my brother who was 1 year younger drove it while I was gone. Ran it into the ground.

17. TimCT

TimCT

I was always into trucks (still am) - the one that did it was the '51 Chevy 3800 Wrecker I got from my uncle. Still can't believe I sold it, but I was young and lost my storage spot. Heavier duty the better. My daily is a 3500HD SRW with a Duramax, so I get my fix every day. Need to get my hands on a B model one of these days...

18. pkhammer

pkhammer

Muscle Cars. 1967 GTO, 1968 Olds 442, 1971 Torino GT, etc.... Then I went thru a Jeep phase (still have a DD Wrangler Unlimited), Motorcycle phase and antique tractor phase. I have interest in most anything that has wheels and burns gasoline. Really got into the vintage style hotrods about 15 years ago. I am particularly passionate about vintage OHV engines; Y-blocks, Hemis, Olds Rockets, buick Nailheads and especially Cadillacs. I go to shows and seek out the rods powered by these early mills. I say lets save all of these we can. They don't make 'em anymore and more get crushed every day.

19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It made me smile to see your Buick at the Ardy & Ed's rootbeer stand in Oshkosh Wisconsin, I ate there many times in the 25 years I went to the annual fly in there, this was the year I took my IHC factory built ambulance there, we modified this one with all GM 3/4 ton front and rear end drive train, with a built 500 caddy and a turbo 400 with an Allison torque converter.
    79190019.JPG

lothiandon1940 and wicarnut like this.
  20. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being born in 1953, I feel fortunate that I caught the tail end of a great time period. Being a freshman in high school in 1968, that was a time period of a lot of great cars and trucks. That meant that there were still a lot of great older cars from the 50's left around that hadn't made it to the crusher. My dad owned a wrecking yard and car repair. He towed in a lot of cars that were abandoned, or what ever. I was lucky that I got to enjoy a few of them. My first car was a 57 Plymouth 4 door, with a 318 in it, and a type writer transmission.

It ran and it wasn't in bad shape except for the very faded blue paint that was very oxidized, I didn't care, my dad sold it to me for $100.00, and he said he would show me what to do to fix the leaking transmission tail shaft seal. That was cool for about 4 months, until I discovered what happens when you hit the button marked 2 on the shifter at 30 MPH, you get compression scratch, and you think your cool.

Didn't take long to blow the front seal on it and that was that! I didn't have the money to get the transmission fixed, so into the crusher it went, my dad was not one to tolerate nonsense, he said, if you cant fix it, its not going to be sitting around at my shop as junk, ( ouch! ) hard lesson to learn, but to a very limited extent, the crusher was an easy out if what ever junk car I was driving back then happened to blow up or puke I could just let the crusher eat it. Young dumb and stupid at that age, regrets about the 57 Plymouth?, Yes!, It was a great fin car regardless of it having 4 doors.

The cars I remember driving in high school were, 63 ford galaxy 4 dr, 58 dodge station wagon with a 383 in it, 53 Chevy 4 dr Bel Air with a tired 216 in it, 64 volvo PV544, I bought the 1941 G.M.C. K-18 signal corps panel truck back in 1971, and that was the beginning of the love of the machines from the fringe that nobody else had, it was also the first vehicle that I really had to tear into to work on it, learned a lot from that experience. When I got out of the service in 75, I got rid of the 59 M.G.A. roadster and bought a very cool 56 IHC S-110 bell telephone service truck, I wish I would have never sold it, it was perfect for my lifestyle back then and even now.
    IMG_0304 (1).JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

k-18 in 1971-3.JPG

21. Baldbiker74

Baldbiker74

First car was 1973 340 duster and now in to 30,40,and early 50’s cars and trucks I have a 31 Chevy 5 window coupe that is done and working on a 53 Chevy flat bed

22. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

Before the HAMB I loved Hot Rods but Hated Kustoms. 10 years later , I love Hot Rods but Hate customs.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. Born in 1940, always liked the Fords from 31 to 56. I started driving a 39 Plymouth then a 41 Merc. cp . next a 50 Merc. rag top next a 53 Ford rag top , next a 53 Olds . next a 37 Ford cp. next a 58 Impala next a 65 Corvette later Nova , Camaro , Impalas , Cadillac El Do , Dodge .

24. Born in 1947, grew up with HotRods and always into the early stuff.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

25. Time line

Born in 1950

Bought my first car at 12 years old - 1932 Ford 5W coupe

I have always loved 30's & 40's Fords. HRP

26. Belair235

Belair235

Born in 64, became a teenager in the 70s, and came of age in the80s. Hot wheels, model cars, Ed Roth, Rat fink, Odd Rods, Cartoons magazine, Sting Ray bikes are what feed me into my car addiction from 1868 to the time I started on my own cars. I've always loved them all... muscle cars, hot rods, customs, and street machines, but 50s and 60s drag cars..."Rock my world!"

27. before the HAMB I was mainly building and racing sprint cars. I was building a 27 roadster, using my leftover sprint stuff and I needed some quick change parts. I stumbled onto this sight kinda by accident during a search for halibrand. I liked the wealth of technical info posted and decided to hang around. I can't really say the HAMB ever influenced the way I've built my cars because I still built them my way. Over the years I've watched this site go from making history to preserving it and that's ok, just not my particular cup of tea. Sorry, but I view it now as a restorers site on steroids. I still stop in because I enjoy the outside the box builds and the many creative ideas posted. Bypass surgery, a pacemaker, dodgy knees and hip(thanks to the sprints), and a recently shattered ankle(thanks to my stupidity) have slowed my building way back. To me, the HAMB is more like a vacation, while i'm waiting to get on with my life.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  28. blackanblue

blackanblue

Harleys, when they use to be bad ass, flatheads knuckles pans and shovels then they went down hill.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  29. Yup, me too, Ironheads, a Shovel, several Evos, still ride a Sporty and a Tour Glide.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Oval racing, sports car racing and and drag racing. My first build was a mild street rod, with only a little teeny bit of billet. Second build far less so. But I'm learning. Have added "vintage" to all my racing fan categories.