Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's be honest here, prior to your HAMB life what era were you into?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Started to drive in the mid 70's so Muscle cars and street freeks were my thing. Did a couple of v8 Pintos, pro street 56 chevy truck, bagged Caprice wagon. I always liked the wierd stuff. I have another v8 Pinto now .

Roothawg and Nostrebor like this.
  2. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

My avatar is my cad powered ‘31 in 1964. I have always been into hot rods, its what I drive.

Hollywood-East, Blues4U and Roothawg like this.
  3. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

I was and still am into muscle cars . these two are still in the garage and driven

Attached Files:

4. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I am stuck in the 60's show car hotrod era. A timeless era for car building. Yes a bit gaudy at times but so tasteful and still relevant today. Chrome wheels, 1 1/2" wide whites, lots of chrome, true tuck & roll, pin striping, metal flake, panel and flamed paint jobs.
    That being said there was a time I really liked (and still do) 60's early 70's muscle cars. 64 Impala's and Mopar stuff (roadrunners, GTX Chargers) etc. Gary

5. LOL I am not a purest by any means. I know a guy that is retired from the GM Fairfax plant. He has an all original '70 Road Runner that he bought new for a snow car. It is rough as you might imagine but mechanically sound and I would give my first born to own it. Of course I would treat it like he has, keep it going and drive it.

hot-rod roadster likes this.
  6. turpentyne

turpentyne
    from Arizona

I've always been a sucker for mid '20s to mid '30s - right before that awkward pimply phase, where actual wooden/metal trunks had become a weird bump on the back of the car, and not quite the trunks we have today. The more it looked like Al Capone coulda sat in it, the more I liked it. ...That, and most any old pickup before mid '70s.

But, I mean, if you said "here, take my '63 split-rear window 'vette," I wouldn't have complained about it. that or anything fast-back.

7. I'll chime in. I already had my Hot Rods, before I found the HAMB. But my favorite ERA would be the 50s and 60s. As a kid with the Ed big daddy Roth's art. Also the model cars, Drag Cartoons, and the songs, like 409, Deadmans curve, Shut down etc. I do like the earlier era's too. But I really just like ( Fast and Loud)! not the best photos, small ones I found on my phone:eek: Ron 20181114_171328.jpeg 20180727_065909.jpeg 20180727_065337.jpeg 20181103_193236.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wicarnut, Moriarity, nunattax and 3 others like this.
  8. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I was born in 1955. As long as I can remember I've loved Hot Rods . I of course got into the muscle cars in the sixties but always Hot Rods are what I prefered but they where few and far between where I lived.

9. Valley Custom Shop cars, 46 to 54 Fords, Norms T, Ivo's T. (Taco Wagons 50's term for predecessor to low riders 42 to 54 Chevys. Poor boy customs with primer spots and scraping the ground like Lary Watson's car). HAMB is a pretty good modern day fit.

10. kev442

kev442
    from Wi

I will confess that I still cross the line from HAMB to the dark side, but never billet!

A couple of years ago, my dad converted a bunch of old slides into digital photos. He took a picture of a heavy snowstorm around '66. I immediately noticed the neighbors car two doors down was a '61 Olds 88 sedan. I definitely imprinted on that cool rocket rear end as I rode my tricycle past it.

After that my life was controlled by suburbia. Nothing old except an occasional ponycar. My older brother brought home a '67 Belvedere II. Man, that car looked old to me in '74, lol.

11. My older brothers had muscle cars, so growing up around them I've always had the lure of horse power and drag racing. My dad and mom both had 40's-50's cars so they were nothing new and it was just natural to morph the muscle into those older body styles. I couldn't get enough of reading about the likes of Stone, Woods & Cook, Big John Mazmania etc etc
    To this day I'm still all about drag racing and powerful engines and have a variety inside the garage, but still adhere to old school n/a combos. I'm not strangleheld to any specific "HAMB" only mentality, I appreciate them but do not live for them only, give me the big power in an old body I'm a happy boy.

12. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I don't have a Hamb life. I prefer bison.

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Born in 1951 in Southern California, my Dad moved us back to the the family ranch in Oklahoma. So ,, by no choice of my own I traded the hot rod car/surfing scene for cows, horses and tractors and hay. But I developed a love of horsepower and studied everything I could get my hands on. Started out with a 55 Ford, that I put a 430 Mel in before I had my drivers license. Had Cushmans, Triumphs, then I got a 271 horsepower 289 car that can’t be mentioned here and loved it. But my most loved car is the car in my avatar and haven’t changed since 1965. But I like all American made cars. Even Chevys........

Bones

wicarnut likes this.
  14. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was born in 1980.

In high school, my friends had Mustangs, Novas, Cutlasses, and Camaros. If someone wanted to get wild, they built a low rider or a mini truck.

I had a daily driver Camaro but that's all it was, transportation. I have had Model A's since I was 15. HAMB or not, I was into nostalgia.

15. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Guess I am the only one that was into imports out of high school. Used to drive vws all with various power additions, built motors, juice or turbo. Always loved classic American cars, just wasn’t practical out of the gate

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

WOW! A very good friend of mine (known since 1962) had a 39 Plymouth Business Coupe, and had no place to keep it when he sold his home (???). So, for about a year and a half it lived in my garage, and at NO CHARGE of course. The only year for the "square" headlights. He wanted me to buy it, but I already had too much going on, so he put it in a consignment dealership. It sold pretty quickly, but he did't get anywhere what it was worth. 350 SBC, TH-350 trans, and a Ford 9" rear. Needed interior work and some body panels were rusted away, but it was still a 39 Plymouth Business Coupe, Golden Jubilee car. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

paul philliup likes this.
  17. Ohlly

Ohlly

I love 70s street machines / street freaks. I like anything from traditional hot rods to late model corvettes and most in between. Only thing I don't care for is over the top custom stuff that doesn't resemble what it started as.

18. I'm a '67 model, and grew up listening to my Dad's stories of his hotrods. That kind of set the hook for me. By the time I came along, the hotrods were long gone, replaced by a Triumph TR-4 roadster. I've always had a soft spot for those funny little foreign roadsters as a result.

Much to my Dad's chagrin (he was a Ford guy), I became a Mopar guy. Got heavy into the Mopar muscle cars before they got stupid expensive. As values escalated, the politics of the hobby sucked all the fun out of old cars for me for a while. Walked away from the scene for a while.

Never lost the love for old cars, and missed having them in my life. Somewhere in the mid '90s, I was looking for a way back into the car hobby, and got my latent hotrod tendencies rekindled. Bought my first legit old car ('37 Plymouth coupe) and it's been going on since then.

19. I'm from Argentina, born in 1980... In a small town... My town was the first agricultural colony organized of Argentina...
    My country... The first Ford subsidiary factory of Latin America and the second worldwide... Model T and Model A... Chevrolet 4 and 6 cylinder... Ford V8's... Whippet, Dodge, Rugby and others brands were common...
    I had a 28 Rpu project with a banger and 32 PU Y Block powered... No car from the 80's represent me... And since Kilbillet forum never accept me... I'm part of The HAMB... Thank you for educated me in the right way...

Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. i built 3 Model A's and a 57 BelAir post in the sixties. so that formed my style. In the nineties while I was still working, I had a rod shop build a 29 closed cab and it turned out as restored/street rod. Since retiring, I have rebuilt it myself, getting much closer to sixties styling. I put my very first car back on the road in a sixties style with a hopped up banger.

I started my 51 Ford in the nineties with a rod shop doing a lot of chassis work in a more modern style, front discs and MII style suspension and GM column. I have it looking mostly like a late fifties/early sixties custom now after a couple rounds of work, and it is riding on bias plus as well.

My biggest pet peeve about the newer style builds is the near universal use of GM steering tilt columns on cars otherwise close in style to the sixties. I understand it, but hate the look of the fat steering column. I am building a 53 Buick steering column for the 51 that will be installed once I get the turn signal debugged and ready to wire in. I am stuck in the sixties forever.

Squablow likes this.
  21. 327Eric

327Eric

Before the Hamb, I was into Gassers, my 66 C 10, and 50s's, and 60's style cars, call them hot rods, street machines, customs, whatever, all styles, and musclecars, pretty much anything pre 71. Now, I am into Gassers, and 50s's, and 60's style cars, call them hot rods, street machines, customs, whatever, all styles, and musclecars, pretty much anything pre 71. It will not change, although I now know my limitations, and am down to my Henry J, 65 C10, and my 59 ElCamino.

22. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me it has always been 50's and 60's era cars. Many times in the past the only car I owned was my old Model A Coupe. It crossed the country about nine times as I changed duty stations every couple of years. When I did get married my wife's car was a poor old beat to death 57 Chevy 2 door hardtop. That thing must of had every transmission that GM made at one time or another, 3 speeds, 4 speeds Powerglide and a turbo 350. Bought it at a tote the note car lot in Pleasant Grove a suburb of Dallas for $295.00. Damn I wish I still ha-------whoops what am I saying no I am damn glad that poor old wreck if a car is gone. Should have said I wish I had another 57 Chevy.

23. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Traditional stuff. When I was 7 I liked street rods, but by the time I was 12 I had seen the light.

24. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

25. i grew up in the seventies, right in the heart of the city. I remember thinking starsky & hutch must live in my neighborhood, because there was a clone running around. I have to admit, i find myself looking at old hot rod mags from the seventies & eighties, feeling nostalgic for 68-72 el camino's with f60-15 's wrapped around aluminum slots. I was into over restored muscle cars in high school back in the eighties. But, ive always loved model a's & t's.

26. Born in 1955. I learned how to read on old car magazines my dad had collected. I learned a lot about cars that way. Some neighbors had cool old cars that attracted me, like a '59 Chevy rag top with pinstriping, a '51 Mercury and so on. I learned what NOT to do from watching neighbors trying to fix their cars. I got into street racing at age 19, spent a lot of time with my license hanging by a thread in traffic court. Got bit by the stock car bug at age 23 and spent a long time running around in circles. I did a lot of fab work on cars for others before jumping off on my own. With kids, the house, night school I was dormant for a long time. Started a machine shop business in 1988 that I will be discontinuing this year. I'll be machining still, just not as a registered business. I had to slow down with some recent health issues, which I have a handle on.

27. cederholm

cederholm

Always had a soft spot for Britt cars - still do.

~ Carl

28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Porsches. Had a bunch of them from 83 until about 2010. 911's, 914's and 356's. They were relatively affordable then and just neat cars. Loved the air cooled engines and nothing else sounds like a 911 air cooled engine. They got expensive, I got out of autocrossing and track driving and decided I wanted a cruiser and wanted to build hot rods instead of just restoring already engineered cars.

I bought my 54 Chevy and that got me started. Now I have a 57 Chevy, 49 Buick Super Sedanette, 48 Buick Super convertible and my 41 Plymouth that is just about finished. Quite a change.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I built this 55 Chev in the early eighties [​IMG]

And this 52 Chev in the mid eighties [​IMG]
    Did this 61 impala in the mid 90’s[​IMG]

And I finished this car just before joining here in 2001[​IMG]

So I guess not much has changed for me. But I do find myself having the most fun driving my 66 ss396 Chevelle with L60 bias plies , cragars and 8 track pioneer supertuner just like the one I had in high school

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  30. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Born in '79. I've always been into HAMB friendly stuff. (even before I knew The HAMB existed) I used to be more into the style of the late 50s cars...long, low, lots of chrome and big fins. Lately, I've been getting more into early 50s and older stuff.